Beginners Unanswered Questions

Ron Teitelbaum

All,

We have 4 questions still unanswered on the beginners list.  If anyone can help answer a question that would be terrific.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/000049.html  the plugin works but there’s plug in can someone explain?

Maybe someone with more Morphic experience can help here:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/000052.html how to set the focus on to a textMorph

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/000068.html asking for a morph tutorial for a UI.

And I sent a question to Yoshiki: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/000062.html

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Beginners Unanswered Questions

Hernan Tylim-2
Hi, about this one:

On 5/9/06, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

ActiveHand newKeyboardFocus: aTextMorph.

ActiveHand is a global which points to the HandMorph instance of the active world (you can also access this instance from inside any Morph with Morph>>activeHand)

BTW, when dealing with keyboard focus remember that Squeak has a "keyboard focus follows mouse" policy. So even if you are setting it up programatically any other morph might steal your keyboard focus. (try it with a browser, start typing inside the text pane and move your mouse to any of the upper lists).

Regards,
Hernán

RE: Beginners Unanswered Questions

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi Hernán,

I tried this already and was really confused by it.  I used a paste up and two text fields.  I found the method valueAtCursor which returned the active text field, and by following what the code was doing with tab I found this method.  I expected that setting the keyboard focus through an inspector that something would happen.  Nothing did, even valueAtCursor didn’t change.  I noticed that moving my mouse stole the cursor but I figured that since valueAtCursor didn’t change that it didn’t work the way I expected it too and there was more to the story then I understood.  There was a bunch of other code besides this method, so I figured there had to be an easier way!

I would seem to me that having the mouse steal focus would be a disaster for forms and business UI’s where using a mouse in most cases is not recommended is there a way to turn that off or disable it while in a Morphic? (Until another Morphic is selected)

Is the answer for Marcus use MVC or wxSqueak?

Thanks,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Beginners Unanswered Questions

Joshua Gargus-2

On May 9, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

All,

We have 4 questions still unanswered on the beginners list.  If anyone can help answer a question that would be terrific.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/beginners/2006-May/000049.html  the plugin works but there’s plug in can someone explain?

It's possible that the plugin isn't loaded at the time that 'Smalltalk listLoadedModules' is called.  This applies also to built-in modules... a module listed in 'Smalltalk listBuiltinModules' will not be in the list of loaded modules unless it has been used.  You can attempt to load the JPEGReadWriter2 plugin by evaluating 'JPEGReadWriter2 basicNew isPluginPresent '

Josh

Re: [Newbies] RE: Beginners Unanswered Questions

Kyle Hamilton
"keyboard focus follows mouse" is an xdm (mis)feature.  I'd like to
see that settable via a Preference.

-Kyle H