Better editor components?

Marcin Tustin
I've been playing around with SeaSide tutorials, using the class browser and the workspace - is this the right way to do things? The text editing there is pretty sucky for a man used to xemacs, so I ask: is there a better "application" for editing code, or can I get hold of a better generic editor component that can be dropped in to replace the one the browser and workspace are using?

Re: Better editor components?

Enno Schwass
Hi

> I've been playing around with SeaSide tutorials, using the class
> browser and the workspace - is this the right way to do things? The
> text editing there is pretty sucky for a man used to xemacs, so I
> ask: is there a better "application" for editing code, or can I get
> hold of a better generic editor component that can be dropped in to
> replace the one the browser and workspace are using?

Check the SVI-package. It could help you with some more keybindings

HTH
Enno

Re: Better editor components?

Tim Johnson-6
> I've been playing around with SeaSide tutorials, using the class browser
> and
> the workspace - is this the right way to do things? The text editing there
> is pretty sucky for a man used to xemacs, so I ask: is there a better
> "application" for editing code, or can I get hold of a better generic
> editor
> component that can be dropped in to replace the one the browser and
> workspace are using?

The editors within the Squeak environment are a lot more advanced than any
in a web browser's text editing form... if you have access to the image
that hosts your Seaside setup, you might be better served adding and
editing methods in the Squeak environment itself.

http://www.mucow.com/squeak-qref.html#UsingBindings

They are very much the same but a lot more advanced.

(Of course, that means getting familiar with the Squeak environment, if
you are not already.  That can be a beast in itself, but it's such a
rewarding battle...)

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Better editor components?

Stuart Herring-2
On 6/13/07, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been playing around with SeaSide tutorials, using the class browser and
> the workspace - is this the right way to do things? The text editing there
> is pretty sucky for a man used to xemacs, so I ask: is there a better
> "application" for editing code, or can I get hold of a better generic editor
> component that can be dropped in to replace the one the browser and
> workspace are using?

What exactly are you missing?

If you install Shout and eCompletion then there's syntax highlighting
and auto-completion,
Beyond that, your methods should be short enough that there's not a
whole lot of need for most of the features of a text editor like Emacs
or Vim...

That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but so far I
have personally not found much lacking, and I am used to using Vim and
Eclipse for development.
About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
lines - it just replaces them with a tab.

Regards,
Stuart

Re: Better editor components?

Scott Wallace-2
On Jun 12, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Stuart Herring wrote:

> About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
> lines - it just replaces them with a tab.

Correct -- this is the same as in *any* wysiwig editor, because tab
is an actual text character that resides in the body of text, rather
than a meta-directive to an editor.

However, hitting alt-shift-R indents all selected lines, i.e. shifts
them right by one tab-stop, which I think is what you are looking for.

Similarly, alt-shift-L will shift all selected lines one tab-stop to
the *left*.

Cheers,

  -- Scott

Re: Better editor components?

Stuart Herring-2
> > About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
> > lines - it just replaces them with a tab.
>

> Correct -- this is the same as in *any* wysiwig editor, because tab
> is an actual text character that resides in the body of text, rather
> than a meta-directive to an editor.
>
> However, hitting alt-shift-R indents all selected lines, i.e. shifts
> them right by one tab-stop, which I think is what you are looking for.
>
> Similarly, alt-shift-L will shift all selected lines one tab-stop to
> the *left*.

Excellent! Thanks for the hint :)

Regards,
Stuart.

Re: Better editor components?

Marcin Tustin
Thanks! This was the one thing that actually prompted me to look for something better, but I expect I'll like having SVI provide emacs keys as well.

On 6/13/07, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jun 12, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Stuart Herring wrote:

> About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
> lines - it just replaces them with a tab.

Correct -- this is the same as in *any* wysiwig editor, because tab
is an actual text character that resides in the body of text, rather
than a meta-directive to an editor.

However, hitting alt-shift-R indents all selected lines, i.e. shifts
them right by one tab-stop, which I think is what you are looking for.

Similarly, alt-shift-L will shift all selected lines one tab-stop to
the *left*.

Cheers,

  -- Scott

Re: Better editor components?

David Mitchell-10

>> About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
>> lines - it just replaces them with a tab.
>
> Correct -- this is the same as in *any* wysiwig editor, because tab
> is an actual text character that resides in the body of text, rather
> than a meta-directive to an editor.

Actually, Microsoft Word does indent/outdent if you have multiple lines
selected on Tab. Actually, just checked and it does it if you are at the
beginning of a line as well. Not saying that Word is the *only* WYSIWYG
editor, but it is certainly one of many and might be considered the de
facto standard.

I used to be a technical writer and even when doing long documents in
FrameMaker, Ventura Publisher, etc. I never had a single 'Tab' character
anywhere in the text flow of my documents. All indents, hangs, etc. were
done with styles. Tables were done with... tables.

Tabs as characters aren't all that useful for professional type layout.
Programmers seem split 50/50 if they want tabs/spaces.

At the very least, a strategy for code editing v. text editing would be
useful.