Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Karl Ramberg
I really like the Bitmap DejaVu sans font. I have basically all text displayed in size 9. That size i very readable and give I get enough text on screen to get a good workflow.

But I constantly miss punctuation because a full stop is like one pixel. And colon and semicolon are also very small.
To add to that there is very tight kerning around the punctuation marks.

It's easy to miss and it causes mild grief on my part.

With the high resolution of today's monitors I think a bigger size of these punctuation marks would be good.

Any thoughts ?

Karl

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Chris Muller-3
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I really like the Bitmap DejaVu sans font. I have basically all text
> displayed in size 9. That size i very readable and give I get enough text on
> screen to get a good workflow.
>
> But I constantly miss punctuation because a full stop is like one pixel. And
> colon and semicolon are also very small.
> To add to that there is very tight kerning around the punctuation marks.
>
> It's easy to miss and it causes mild grief on my part.
>
> With the high resolution of today's monitors I think a bigger size of these
> punctuation marks would be good.
>
> Any thoughts ?

I've noticed that the period was pretty small for my eyes too.

It seems better in Accusf we could use that the fonts...?

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Bert Freudenberg

On 03.06.2015, at 19:57, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I really like the Bitmap DejaVu sans font. I have basically all text displayed in size 9. That size i very readable and give I get enough text on screen to get a good workflow.

But I constantly miss punctuation because a full stop is like one pixel. And colon and semicolon are also very small.
To add to that there is very tight kerning around the punctuation marks.

It's easy to miss and it causes mild grief on my part.

With the high resolution of today's monitors I think a bigger size of these punctuation marks would be good.

Any thoughts ?

Karl

+1

I remember fixing this in one of my images. Can’t remember which one, unfortunately :(

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Karl Ramberg
A fix for this would be great.
My eye are getting worse by the day it feels like.

The bold punctuation of size 9 Bitmap DejaVu is much more legible.

Karl

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03.06.2015, at 19:57, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I really like the Bitmap DejaVu sans font. I have basically all text displayed in size 9. That size i very readable and give I get enough text on screen to get a good workflow.

But I constantly miss punctuation because a full stop is like one pixel. And colon and semicolon are also very small.
To add to that there is very tight kerning around the punctuation marks.

It's easy to miss and it causes mild grief on my part.

With the high resolution of today's monitors I think a bigger size of these punctuation marks would be good.

Any thoughts ?

Karl

+1

I remember fixing this in one of my images. Can’t remember which one, unfortunately :(

- Bert -

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

timrowledge

On 03-06-2015, at 3:11 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A fix for this would be great.
> My eye are getting worse by the day it feels like.

Welcome to over-30-land.  This is another reason we really ought to try to move away from predominantly pixel based graphics to vector based - scaling to suit the user needs works so much better. We have had the basic capability for at least a decade (remember ‘pooh’?) and now there is Nile to add to the mix.

tim
Useful random insult:- He has a tenuous grip on the obvious.

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Karl Ramberg
Yes, pixels in the retina type displays are truly tiny.
Pixels seem likely to become invisible by them self, kind of like an atom.

Gezira and Nile seem like a interesting display solution. I have not had any success compiling it for Windows though, so I have not been able to use it.

Karl

On 03.06.2015, at 23:40, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03.06.2015, at 19:57, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

I really like the Bitmap DejaVu sans font. I have basically all text displayed in size 9. That size i very readable and give I get enough text on screen to get a good workflow.

But I constantly miss punctuation because a full stop is like one pixel. And colon and semicolon are also very small.
To add to that there is very tight kerning around the punctuation marks.

It's easy to miss and it causes mild grief on my part.

With the high resolution of today's monitors I think a bigger size of these punctuation marks would be good.

Any thoughts ?

Karl

+1

I remember fixing this in one of my images. Can’t remember which one, unfortunately :(

Ah, guess I misremembered even more. I fixed the punctuation in the large Palatino font in our Smalltalk-78 image … but for the same reasons.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Bitmap DejaVu sans punktuation mark sizes

Karl Ramberg
Juan has made a change for bigger punctuation in Cuis.
I does not translate easily to Squeak since Cuis does not use StrikeFontSet.

In Cuis,  'StrikeFont useRegularPunctuation' and 'StrikeFont useLargerPunctuation'.

The stuff is at #buildLargerPunctuation.

It is copying  the punctuation marks from a larger font size

Best,
Karl