Blend 2 croquet export objects

tibbe
Hi

Have an idea it's about export x3d models to croquet and rewerse, trough blender.

Background:
It's some years since I worked with croquet and smalltalk and..
Used Belender since some time mainly to konvert fileformats to X3D.

Noticed that there are a plugin to blender for exporting models to croquet, but need some advices on how to find, use the export-plugin and how to test in croquet.

Two examples:
- make a house in Google skeetchup > blender > croquet.
- use x3d objects like cars and humanoid ( h-anim ) > blender > corquet.

Main Q are the croquet export plugin to blender.

BG
Sven-Erik Tiberg
Page for for my I3D ( Interactive 3D ) project: http://wbsp.arb.ltu.se:8020/

Re: Blend 2 croquet export objects

David Faught
On 3/30/08, Sven-Erik Tiberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have an idea it's about export x3d models to croquet and rewerse, trough
> blender.
>
> Background:
> It's some years since I worked with croquet and smalltalk and..
> Used Belender since some time mainly to konvert fileformats to X3D.
>
> Noticed that there are a plugin to blender for exporting models to croquet,
> but need some advices on how to find, use the export-plugin and how to test
> in croquet.
>
> Two examples:
> - make a house in Google skeetchup > blender > croquet.
> - use x3d objects like cars and humanoid ( h-anim ) > blender > corquet.
>
> Main Q are the croquet export plugin to blender.

AFAIK there is no Croquet export plugin to Blender.  However, there
are several ways to export Blender objects to file formats that can be
read in by Croquet.  Take a look at:

http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/FAQs#What_types_of_3D_model_files_can_Croquet_import.3F

http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/WikiSpace:Wish_List#3D_Model_Importers

http://croquetconsortium.org/index.php/Skeletal_Animation_Example

There is an improved OBJ importer in Cobalt, but I don't think that it
is tied into the menus yet.

I think that Americo's tutorials at http://www.dmu.com also refer to
an ASE exporter for Blender.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Blend 2 croquet export objects

Julian Lombardi

On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:32 AM, David Faught wrote:
[...]

This would be a most laudable contribution to the effort!  Any takers?  :)

I think that Americo's tutorials at http://www.dmu.com also refer to
an ASE exporter for Blender.

Regards,
Dave

-------------------------------
Julian Lombardi, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President
Duke University Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 1107
Durham, North Carolina 27701 USA
+1.919.323.5016

RE: Blend 2 croquet export objects

tibbe
Hi.

Tanks för the links.
Will spend some time this week installing croquet and try some X3D models.
Had a look at the links and saw that croquet have the same challanges as x3d, network sync of node actions and distributed storage of objects.
On distr. storage I'm testing Plone/Zope with distributed contentDatabase, loadbalancing , proxy and Apache as frontserver. PS. in external nodes on X3D you can define multiple URL's.
On networkprotocol, there are a transition from X3D-nodes based on Distributed Interactive Protocol ( DIS ) to a more generic Network Sensor Node that handles many protocols.
On scripting most X3D browsers uses Jscript but the haptic version of X3D (H3D ) uses python. Python are a more powerfull scripting than Jscript, used the twisted python-lib to handle UDP-protocols for a while. Twisted are event driven as X3D. Plone/zope are also based on python, BTW noticed that croquetproject are hostd on a plone server.
Haven't tested Croquet for some years, so I got a bit confused as I couldn't find the update function - will have a look in the manual.

So why not Croquet, need haptic functions, steroscopic wiew, surround sound, more detailed objects, GIS defined ground profile and connection to simulationengines like mathworks/simulink.
On the other hand love the support for multimedia objects in croquet, it's not the same in X3D.

I can't spend so much time testing importing X3D objects into Croquet. And it seems even more difficult to export geometical objects from croquet to blender.

BG
Sven-Erik Tiberg

Regards,
Dave

On 3/31/08, Julian Lombardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:32 AM, David Faught wrote:
>>
>> There is an improved OBJ importer in Cobalt, but I don't think that it
>> is tied into the menus yet.
>
> This would be a most laudable contribution to the effort!  Any takers?  :)

I am tied up with other projects right now, and this seems like a good
place for a budding new Croquet developer to get their feet wet.

Cheers,
Dave

Streaming transform data into Croquet

Russell M. Taylor II
If there is a desire to stream VR input data
(trackers, buttons, etc) into Croquet, or to add
force-feedback output, you might consider using
the Virtual-Reality Peripheral Interface (VRPN)
to talk with them.  It does not have geometry
streaming except for haptics (though that could
be added for graphics).  It works on multiple
platforms.  Currently only C++ and Java bindings,
so it would have to be wrapped to work in Croquet.

Very small when statically linked (full server
executables < 400k on Windows, clients <180k on Linux).

Russell

At 08:05 AM 4/1/2008, Sven-Erik Tiberg wrote:

>Hi.
>
>Tanks för the links.
>Will spend some time this week installing croquet and try some X3D models.
>Had a look at the links and saw that croquet
>have the same challanges as x3d, network sync of
>node actions and distributed storage of objects.
>On distr. storage I'm testing Plone/Zope with
>distributed contentDatabase, loadbalancing ,
>proxy and Apache as frontserver. PS. in external
>nodes on X3D you can define multiple URL's.
>On networkprotocol, there are a transition from
>X3D-nodes based on Distributed Interactive
>Protocol ( DIS ) to a more generic Network
>Sensor Node that handles many protocols.
>On scripting most X3D browsers uses Jscript but
>the haptic version of X3D (H3D ) uses python.
>Python are a more powerfull scripting than
>Jscript, used the twisted python-lib to handle
>UDP-protocols for a while. Twisted are event
>driven as X3D. Plone/zope are also based on
>python, BTW noticed that croquetproject are hostd on a plone server.
>Haven't tested Croquet for some years, so I got
>a bit confused as I couldn't find the update
>function - will have a look in the manual.
>
>So why not Croquet, need haptic functions,
>steroscopic wiew, surround sound, more detailed
>objects, GIS defined ground profile and
>connection to simulationengines like mathworks/simulink.
>On the other hand love the support for
>multimedia objects in croquet, it's not the same in X3D.
>
>I can't spend so much time testing importing X3D
>objects into Croquet. And it seems even more
>difficult to export geometical objects from croquet to blender.
>
>BG
>Sven-Erik Tiberg

---
Russell M. Taylor II, Ph.D.                           [hidden email]
CB #3175, Sitterson Hall                        www.cs.unc.edu/~taylorr
University of North Carolina,                     Voice: (919) 962-1701
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                        FAX:   (919) 962-1799