Bloc/Brick/Spec

Brad Selfridge
I'm confused. I see the latest news and documentation about Bloc. Is Brick now dead and Bloc the default? I thought Brick was a layer on top of Bloc and Spec was layer on top on Brick? What is the direction now?

Brad Selfridge
Brad Selfridge

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Peter Uhnak
* Bloc - low level library (think basic shapes, rectangles, ...)
* Brick - widget library on top of Bloc akin to the widget part of Morphic (buttons, checkboxes, ...)
* Spec - UI framework with adaptable backend; currently using Morphic as a backend, however once Bloc/Brick matures, Bloc/Brick will be added as another backend (without affecting Spec users)

(and below Bloc is Sparta, which is a vector canvas)

Peter

On Mon, Jun 05, 2017 at 06:20:47PM -0700, Brad Selfridge wrote:

> I'm confused. I see the latest news and documentation about Bloc. Is Brick
> now dead and Bloc the default? I thought Brick was a layer on top of Bloc
> and Spec was layer on top on Brick? What is the direction now?
>
> Brad Selfridge
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
What does 'Bloc Zeroconf Script' do?

What is the difference between the 4 different metacello lines here?
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Brick

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Ben Coman

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Brad Selfridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm confused. I see the latest news and documentation about Bloc. Is Brick
now dead and Bloc the default? I thought Brick was a layer on top of Bloc
and Spec was layer on top on Brick? What is the direction now?

Brad Selfridge

Can you link to this latest news?
cheers -ben

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Glenn Cavarlé
Hi all,
As well described by Peter,  Bloc is a low level graphics library which mainly manages multi-windowing (Morphic, SDL, Gtk soon), user interaction (events) and drawing (using Sparta).
Brick is a widget framework on top of Bloc (button, inputField, ...) and Spec is a "multi-backend" UI Builder.

I know that the installation of Bloc can be confusing because of the multiple possibilities.
For more information, Metacello and Zeroconf scripts are described here : https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/blob/master/INSTALL.md.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Glenn Cavarlé

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Glenn,

does this mean, that in the future we can build GTK applications via Bloc/Brick/Spec?

Best regards,
Marc

Hi all,
As well described by Peter,  Bloc is a low level graphics library which
mainly manages multi-windowing (Morphic, SDL, Gtk soon), user interaction
(events) and drawing (using Sparta).
Brick is a widget framework on top of Bloc (button, inputField, ...) and
Spec is a "multi-backend" UI Builder.

I know that the installation of Bloc can be confusing because of the
multiple possibilities.
For more information, Metacello and Zeroconf scripts are described here :
https://github.com/pharo-graphics/Bloc/blob/master/INSTALL.md.

Cheers,

Glenn.

-----
Glenn Cavarlé

Re: Bloc/Brick/Spec

Glenn Cavarlé
Hi Marc,

It would be so cool but no, it's not planned.
Like SDL and Morphic, Gtk is only used as a backend for windowing. This means that only primitives related to windowing are currently implemented (i.e GtkWindow related apis).

Working on widget binding with Gtk or Qt is something i would like to start, maybe next year but it is quite hard/long to do well.
The Mars framework built by Esteban was a really good starting point but it is not maintained.

Thanks for your interest,

Cheers,
Glenn.
Glenn Cavarlé