Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Hi,

the paper "Forward to the Past" at
        ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html
mentions that the ST-80 Interpreter and BitBlt classes were typed in from the
Blue Book.

Is this material still available? Preferable in the *.st format, ready to be
filed in in Squeak?

And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the Blue Book?
Still available?

Greetings
Wolfgang

--
Weniger, aber besser.

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

timrowledge

On 7-May-06, at 7:45 AM, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the paper "Forward to the Past" at
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html
> mentions that the ST-80 Interpreter and BitBlt classes were typed
> in from the
> Blue Book.
>
> Is this material still available? Preferable in the *.st format,
> ready to be
> filed in in Squeak?

Mario Wolczko produced something like this years ago - with some bug
fixes, since IIRC there was one place where a 17 bit cpu was needed -
and you might find files somewhere. You'll need to google both the
correct spelling 'wolczko' and a wrong one 'wolzcko' to get info.

> And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the
> Blue Book?
Well it would be pretty much an essential part of the whole thing so
I think you can be fairly confident that Mario's file(s) would have
it. An interpreter without the object memory stuff would be as much
use as a chocolate teacup...

To make any use of it you'd have to also create or obtain an image
file of the correct format along with the sources and changes files.
The bluebook object memory format is very different to the squeak
format.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- CA VA SANS DIRT - And that's not gossip

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

David T. Lewis
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 04:45:52PM +0200, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the paper "Forward to the Past" at
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html
> mentions that the ST-80 Interpreter and BitBlt classes were typed in from the
> Blue Book.
>
> Is this material still available? Preferable in the *.st format, ready to be
> filed in in Squeak?
>
> And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the Blue Book?
> Still available?

The book is out of print but occasionally available on the used book
market. There is an on-line version of the chapters you are looking
for here:
  http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/bluebook/bluebook_imp_toc.html

Stephane Ducasse provides a large collection of on-line books and videos.
Follow the "documentation" links from www.squeak.org.

As for the *.st formatted files for Squeak, it's already there, except
that it has been put into a separate package (VMMaker) that you have to
install from SqueakMap.

If you want a version that is close to whatever was originally typed
in from the Blue Book, get the oldest Squeak image and VM that you
can find on the net. I don't know what's still out there, but any
number of folks on this list probably have old copies laying around
on hard drives if you need them.

Dave

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Alain Fischer

On 7 mai 06, at 16:45, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the paper "Forward to the Past" at
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/docs/OOPSLA.Squeak.html
> mentions that the ST-80 Interpreter and BitBlt classes were typed
> in from the
> Blue Book.
>
> Is this material still available? Preferable in the *.st format,
> ready to be
> filed in in Squeak?
>
> And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the
> Blue Book?

I remember that I have started a Blue Book ObjectMemory implementation.
I will take a look at it this evening on my home computer.

> Still available?
>
> Greetings
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> Weniger, aber besser.

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Alain Fischer
I found it. The code is not tested.

Alain

BlueBook.6.cs (48K) Download Attachment

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Hi Alain,

>I found it. The code is not tested.

Thank you, Alain! This saves me a lot of typing!

I filed it in w/o any problems. It created  category 'BlueBook' with
RealObjectMemory in it. But the methods looked strange in the browser. Sometimes
text that is on contiguous lines showed up in one line. But only in the browser,
not in the file list. As if some line breaks were missing. So I choose "remove
linefeeds" in the file list. Even if it sounds illogical--after all there were
line breaks *missing*, and now I'm *removing* line feeds. But it worked! And
the browser showed the methods nicely formatted after I filed in the file with
removed line feeds. This is all in Squeak 3.6, which happens to be the Squeak
Version, Alain used for file out.

So I'm quite happy with the Blue Book ObjectMemory.

Greetings,

Wolfgang
--
Weniger, aber besser.

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

Wolfgang Helbig-2
Hi tim,
you adviced:
>Mario Wolczko produced something like this years ago - with some bug
>fixes, since IIRC there was one place where a 17 bit cpu was needed -
>and you might find files somewhere. You'll need to google both the
>correct spelling 'wolczko' and a wrong one 'wolzcko' to get info.

Thanks. I mailed Mario and received all I wanted.

>> And did any one type in the ObjectMemory implementation from the
>> Blue Book?
>Well it would be pretty much an essential part of the whole thing so
>I think you can be fairly confident that Mario's file(s) would have
>it. An interpreter without the object memory stuff would be as much
>use as a chocolate teacup...

You're right. Mario's file does contain a MemoryObject.

>To make any use of it you'd have to also create or obtain an image
>file of the correct format along with the sources and changes files.

I've got two of them. One from 1983 and one from 1988. Including sources and
changes files. I run the '83 vintage with the Hobbes Emulator. And I want to run
them with a Unix VM I am trying to build. But don't wait for it. :-)

Greetings and thanks,
Wolfgang

--
Weniger, aber besser.

Re: Blue Book Interpreter/ObjectMemory/BitBlt

stéphane ducasse-2
Do not forget in the future to put all that material on the web :)

Stef