Box-Admins Team Report for February, 2006

Box-Admins Team Report for February, 2006

Ken Causey-3
The box-admins team is reponsible for seeing that the community shared
server is maintained and setting up any new features to be hosted on
that server.

In February we setup a new UK Smalltalk mailing list at Bryce Kampjes'
request.

We had to restart source.squeakfoundation.org a couple of times.  On
another occasion the box mysteriously restarted and many of the Squeak
process had to be manually restarted since we had never gotten around to
setting them up under any init system.  The FTP daemon also failed to
start and had to be manually started.  A location was setup for Exupery
related files on the FTP server.  An account was created for the News
team to develop a website for the management of the Weekly Squeak News.

I want to thank the community for the monetary support
needed to fund these boxes and remind them that the bills continue to
appear and that you can currently contribute to the hosting bills by
going to

http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/

and clicking on the 'donate' button at the top right.  Note that a
donation here may be used for other Squeak Foundation services including
but not limited to development, development infrastructure, and
promotion of Squeak.

The services being hosted have continued to grow and include (but are
not limited to):

http://www.squeak.org/

SqueakMap - http://map.squeak.org/

http://ftp.squeak.org/

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/

http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/

http://source.squeakfoundation.org/

http://map.squeak.org/

and DNS services for squeak.org and squeakfoundation.org domain names.

Ken

Re: Box-Admins Team Report for February, 2006

Frank Shearar
"Ken Causey" <[hidden email]> reported:

> I want to thank the community for the monetary support
> needed to fund these boxes and remind them that the bills continue to
> appear and that you can currently contribute to the hosting bills by
> going to
>
> http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/
>
> and clicking on the 'donate' button at the top right.  Note that a
> donation here may be used for other Squeak Foundation services including
> but not limited to development, development infrastructure, and
> promotion of Squeak.

Thanks for the report, Ken.

Is there any way for us to see (at least a summary of) the books for SqF? I
mean, I don't want to see the nitty gritties of every transaction, but I'd
like to see when the kitty gets near empty, for instance. I wouldn't _mind_
seeing a so-much-money-spent-on-PR, so-much-money-spent-on-Foo. That's just
a nice-to-have though.

frank

Re: Box-Admins Team Report for February, 2006

Marcus Denker

On 07.03.2006, at 08:18, Frank Shearar wrote:

> "Ken Causey" <[hidden email]> reported:
>
>> I want to thank the community for the monetary support
>> needed to fund these boxes and remind them that the bills continue to
>> appear and that you can currently contribute to the hosting bills by
>> going to
>>
>> http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/
>>
>> and clicking on the 'donate' button at the top right.  Note that a
>> donation here may be used for other Squeak Foundation services
>> including
>> but not limited to development, development infrastructure, and
>> promotion of Squeak.
>
> Thanks for the report, Ken.
>
> Is there any way for us to see (at least a summary of) the books
> for SqF? I
> mean, I don't want to see the nitty gritties of every transaction,
> but I'd
> like to see when the kitty gets near empty, for instance. I
> wouldn't _mind_
> seeing a so-much-money-spent-on-PR, so-much-money-spent-on-Foo.
> That's just
> a nice-to-have though.

This will come... now with the first votes over, we have found new
energy
to actually move forward. Right now we don't spend any money besides
hosting (and that's not yet even payed for by SqF but a dedicated
hosting-account that Cees set up some time ago).

So, we will set up all the infrastructure soon... we need
   -> Good website for SqF (with all information)
   -> A real legal entity... but that's some work.

   Marcus

RE: Box-Admins Team Report for February, 2006

Peter Crowther-2
> From: Marcus Denker
> A real legal entity... but that's some work.

Indeed.  It includes such interesting questions as deciding where such a legal entity should be set up, and hence under which country's legal framework it should operate.  That question alone can occupy a considerable amount of time.

- Peter

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Ron Teitelbaum
All,

My vote would be for setting up the Squeak Foundation as a Not for Profit
United States Non-Stock Corporation, but I’m not on the board.  I assume
that one of the first things that the board will discuss is the form the
foundation will take.  I’m not sure why it needs to take a considerable
amount of time.  If the board wants options they can ask for them, we can
all make suggestions and discuss the pros and cons of each form until a set
time.  At that time all the options should be collected up and considered by
the board.  They would then vote to select the form and then we move ahead
to implementation.  All done.

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader
Squeak New Team Member

>> A real legal entity... but that's some work.

>Indeed.  It includes such interesting questions as deciding where such a
>legal entity should be set up, and hence under which country's legal
>framework it should operate.  That question alone can occupy a considerable
>amount of time.

>- Peter

RE: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Peter Crowther-2
> From: Ron Teitelbaum
> My vote would be for setting up the Squeak Foundation as a
> Not for Profit United States Non-Stock Corporation,

... whereas mine would be to set it up somewhere with the most free laws
regarding eg. crypto export and reverse engineering that we can find, in
case of legal challenges to the foundation from (say) the USA.

                - Peter

RE: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Ron Teitelbaum
Peter,

The issues regarding USA Cryptography export are already taken care of
regardless of where foundation is.  We have already notified the US
Government that we are an open source exporter of cryptography.  All US
Citizens that are contributing code are covered through that notification.
A US Citizen is only banned from packaging and sending code via email or
disk which includes cryptography directly to a banned "Terrorist" country
(or any other transport like yelling 1s and 0s or writing it down).  There
are no longer any other restrictions to posting to our repository.

[A Quick plug, if you would like to join our cryptography group please let
me know, we can use all the help we can get [hidden email] or sign up to
our cryptography team development list at:
you!].

I can not speak to other legal challenges, but I would say that having the
foundation based in the US will also help us with cryptography
certification.  It also gives us legal advice which we currently have
through the SFLC if we are US based.  Not to mention possible other benefits
to the foundation by having a non-profit US status when it comes to
fundraising.

My vote is still NFP US Non-Stock Corp, but again I'm not on the board so it
is not my decision.

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader
Squeak News Team Member

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

        Ron writes:

 > My vote would be for setting up the Squeak Foundation as a Not for
 > Profit United States Non-Stock Corporation... I’m not sure why it
 > needs to take a considerable amount of time.

        Well, if I we decide to incorporate in the U.S., we'd have to decide in
which state to incorporate, and whether to apply for tax-exempt status
with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and jump through those hoops.
We'd probably want to choose and hire a lawyer and an accountant.

        That sounds like a considerable amount of time (and money) to me.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

RE: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Ron Teitelbaum
Hey Craig,

Congratulations!

Well I would vote for Delaware since there are a number of benefits of
incorporating there, not to mention the lower costs.  Also we already have
legal help from the software freedom law center, which is free.  I would say
that yes we should get the tax exempt status, and yes we need accounting
help.  Over all I would say not too much time and not very much money.  It
just needs to get done so we can move on.

Ron Teitelbaum

karl-8
Marcus Denker skrev:

> On 07.03.2006, at 08:18, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> "Ken Causey" <[hidden email]> reported:
>>
>>> I want to thank the community for the monetary support
>>> needed to fund these boxes and remind them that the bills continue to
>>> appear and that you can currently contribute to the hosting bills by
>>> going to
>>>
>>> http://discuss.squeakfoundation.org/
>>>
>>> and clicking on the 'donate' button at the top right.  Note that a
>>> donation here may be used for other Squeak Foundation services
>>> including
>>> but not limited to development, development infrastructure, and
>>> promotion of Squeak.
>>
>> Thanks for the report, Ken.
>>
>> Is there any way for us to see (at least a summary of) the books for
>> SqF? I
>> mean, I don't want to see the nitty gritties of every transaction,
>> but I'd
>> like to see when the kitty gets near empty, for instance. I wouldn't
>> _mind_
>> seeing a so-much-money-spent-on-PR, so-much-money-spent-on-Foo.
>> That's just
>> a nice-to-have though.
>>

> This will come... now with the first votes over, we have found new energy
> to actually move forward. Right now we don't spend any money besides
> hosting (and that's not yet even payed for by SqF but a dedicated
> hosting-account that Cees set up some time ago).
>
> So, we will set up all the infrastructure soon... we need
>   -> Good website for SqF (with all information)
We put up an image at http://www.squeak.org:7780/ and copied over most
of the stuff from http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/SqueakFoundation but there
is some problem with the image :-(
So we have to redo the process...
Karl

>   -> A real legal entity... but that's some work.
>
>   Marcus

Re: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Cees De Groot
On 3/7/06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Well, if I we decide to incorporate in the U.S., we'd have to decide in
> which state to incorporate,

Delaware is the most logical choice.

> and whether to apply for tax-exempt status
> with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service,

Yes

> and jump through those hoops.
> We'd probably want to choose and hire a lawyer and an accountant.

There's the SFLC to help. Plus lots of people who might do this sort
of work pro bono.

Infrastructure-wise, the US is best equipped to "host" open source
projects - lots of examples to draw from, organizations like the SFLC
to support, and not to forgot the biggest wallet when it comes to
fundraising so tax exempt status is most interesting in the US.

Re: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

stéphane ducasse-2
Indeed.
I would like to have some ideas and thoughts about that :)

Stef

On 7 mars 06, at 19:55, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> All,
>
> My vote would be for setting up the Squeak Foundation as a Not for
> Profit
> United States Non-Stock Corporation, but I’m not on the board.  I
> assume
> that one of the first things that the board will discuss is the
> form the
> foundation will take.  I’m not sure why it needs to take a
> considerable
> amount of time.  If the board wants options they can ask for them,
> we can
> all make suggestions and discuss the pros and cons of each form
> until a set
> time.  At that time all the options should be collected up and
> considered by
> the board.  They would then vote to select the form and then we
> move ahead
> to implementation.  All done.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Squeak Cryptography Team Leader
> Squeak New Team Member

Andrew Greenberg-3
Legal formation of a foundation such as Squeak-F is a relatively
simple problem, and doesn't really deserve much cognitive effort.
The bottom line is that you should get, and follow, the advice of
counsel and/or the accountant who is setting things up for you.  If
you are getting those services for free, it would be simply insane to
ask them to step out of their jurisdiction or comfort zone to
structure the corporation in some strange or new-fangled way.  Given
what I understand of Squeak-F goals, this is an absolutely routine
matter.  In the United States, modern and "uniform" corporate laws
make it less and less important in which state you organize.

In particular, if you are using free lawyers, don't ask them to
practice outside the country in which they are practicing, unless
there is a genuine issue that I don't understand.  The encryption
issue is simply not one of those.  If you, in fact, are exporting
into or out of any nation, it is probably of no consequence in which
nation you have organized -- you will be subject as a practical
matter to the customs and internet-related laws of that
jurisdiction.  Since Squeak-F will be resourceless in any legal
squabble as a matter of practice, follow the KISS rule.  We simply
can't afford, and are unlikely to benefit from, any complex legal
structure.

KISS.  Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.
Organization is something that requires very little thought, and must
not become a hurdle.  Far more important is figuring out what it is
you want to do, and then doing it.

THE REAL QUESTION IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, TO DEFINE THE ENTITY'S
MISSION.  Organization is a formality.  Please don't ignore the
important issue for the trivial one.

P.S.: I read somewhere that IRS has been loathe to grant open source
NFP entities tax-exempt status.  My tax partner thought it was an
interesting question, but wondered aloud whether it made much
difference at all, since most prospective donors of import would be
able to write off the expense one way or the other, and most small
donors will not care much one way or the other.  As a practical
matter, does Squeak-F expect to do much grass roots fund-raising,
that you should particularly care?

On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Hey Craig,
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Well I would vote for Delaware since there are a number of benefits of
> incorporating there, not to mention the lower costs.  Also we
> already have
> legal help from the software freedom law center, which is free.  I
> would say
> that yes we should get the tax exempt status, and yes we need
> accounting
> help.  Over all I would say not too much time and not very much
> money.  It
> just needs to get done so we can move on.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum

Cees de Groot-2
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:09:13 -0500, Andrew Greenberg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Legal formation of a foundation such as Squeak-F is a relatively
>simple problem, and doesn't really deserve much cognitive effort.

Yup. We can easily mimick what is already there, and the most common
thing seems to be a Delaware non-stock company but you're right, it
should depend more on what whatever advisor will help us is
comfortable with.

>THE REAL QUESTION IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, TO DEFINE THE ENTITY'S
>MISSION.

http://swiki.cdegroot.com/squeakfoundation/6 is a start into that
direction.

> As a practical
>matter, does Squeak-F expect to do much grass roots fund-raising,
>that you should particularly care?

So far we've been quite succesful at getting lots of people to donate
small amounts of cash, so I figure it is at least going to be one of
the financial pillars. I wouldn't know which of these supporters are
e.g. self-employed (I am and I typically book these sorts of donations
off as expenses).

RE: Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Ron Teitelbaum
Here is an interesting article about Non-Profit Organizations.  For those
interested.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050124/shuman

Ron Teitelbaum
[hidden email]