Broken links to Kedama examples?

dcorking
I would like to run the Forest Fire example in Kedama, to see an
example of an Etoys cellular automata simulation.  Could you point me
to an Etoys release and version of Forest Fire code that are
compatible, please?

Here is what I have tried so far:

(a) I downloaded the "Introducing Kedama" pamphlet
http://svn.squeakland.org/pdf/kedama.pdf

However the links in Appendix E (page 36) seem to be broken.  The link is
http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://www.squeakland.org/fun_projects/kedama/examples/forestfire2.pr
However the Etoys plugin loads nothing, and indeed /fun_projects/ is
'404 Not Found'.

(b) Instead I downloaded
http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/kedama/forestfire2.pr .
However that does not run in the current Etoys (Etoys 3.0, build 2177,
5-Jan-2009 ).  It shows an MVCMenu which, I guess, comes from the
project loading subsystem:
"Reading an instance of KedamaGetPixelValueTile.
Which modern class should it translate to?
Let me type the name now
Let me think about it
Let me find a conversion file on the disk"

(c) "Gallery of projects" bundled with the Mac Etoys.app download
(http://www.squeakland.org/download/)  has 3 Kedama simulations, but
not the one I desire:
ParticlesDyeInWater
ParticlesEpidemic
ParticlesGasModel

Possible ways you might be able to help me:

1. Point me to a version of Forest Fire that runs with Etoys 3.0, or
an updated version of kedama.pdf

2. Point me to an archive of a 2004 or 2005 vintage squeakland release
image (I read reports that "Squeakland 3.8-05" should run
http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/kedama/forestfire2.pr ), or

3. finally, perhaps you could point me to documentation on how Kedama
has changed from 2005 to 2009, so I that I could try to rebuild the
2005 version of Forest Fire to get it running in Etoys 3.0, though
this sounds unlikely from
http://squeakland.org/download/releaseNotes.jsp .    (By the way, are
detailed changes to Kedama logged in Monticello, subversion, a
changeset, or elsewhere?)

David

Re: Broken links to Kedama examples?

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  I or somebody should've done this before.  So here is a version that
works in the Etoys and Squeakland image:

http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/ForestFire.001.pr

  Please make improvements and share.

  Thank you for reminding me!

-- Yoshiki

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/ForestFire.001.pr

Wow! That was quick.

This brand new version works beautifully on clicking the green button
("KedamaWorld setup").  I used the current Etoys (Etoys 3.0, build
2177, 5-Jan-2009, also known as Squeakland-OLPC latest update: # 2177,
from http://www.squeakland.org/download/ ) on a Mac.

Thanks Yoshiki: it is a fascinating simulation.

Re: Broken links to Kedama examples? - Player names translated

Markus Schlager-2
Looks like a bug with the translation-system. As you can see on the
screenshot attached (fire-StandardViewer.png) the name of the player
'fire' get's translated on programming tiles. This should not happen.

The same problem appears in scripts where there seems to be a font-problem
with translated strings as well (tree-oneStep-1.png).

After switching to program-code and back to tile-representation the
displaced translations disappear (tree-oneStep-2.png , look for 'tree' and
'fire').

(Seen with Squeakland-OLPC Update #2193)

Markus

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  I or somebody should've done this before.  So here is a version that
> works in the Etoys and Squeakland image:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~yoshiki/etoys/ForestFire.001.pr
>
>  Please make improvements and share.
>
>  Thank you for reminding me!
>
> -- Yoshiki

fire-StandardViewer.png (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Broken links to Kedama examples? - patch-value tile

Markus Schlager-2
Another bug:

When assigning a value, the name of the patch get's inserted at the wrong
position of the tile (screenshot attached):

Is:
patch NAME value in

should be:
patch value in NAME

patch-value.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Broken links to Kedama examples? - Player names translated

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Thank you for reporting!  There are some duplicated code for Kedama
and apparently there are some more places to fix...

-- Yoshiki