Broken trunk update and workaround

12

Re: Broken trunk update and workaround

Hannes Hirzel
I started again with a pristine image again from
http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-17086-32bit/

By reading
     Update stream
     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3154

I was directed to class MCMcmUpdater

After having a look at the code of this class I did

     MCMcmUpdater default lastUpdateMap

and got

a Dictionary('http://source.squeak.org/trunk'->402 )

Which is more than the 399 you recommend and the 400 Eliot recommends
to start with. [1]

Do I need to start with an earlier version? If yes, which one?

--Hannes

[1] Instructions by Eliot M. to do the manual update
http://forum.world.st/Broken-trunk-update-and-workaround-td4940633.html
(= the start of this thread)

Open the trunk repository from your Monticello Browser.
Locate the update package (the penultimate entry in the list of packages).
Load (or merge) update-eem.400.mcm.
Load (or merge) update-eem.403.mcm.
Load (or merge) update-eem.406.mcm. Save your image.
Local the Kernel package.
Load Kernel-eem.1078. Save your image.
Update

On 4/5/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/5/17, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's because you have to update your image till 399.mcm first. I presume
>> you just skipped that and loaded 400.mcm right into that image.
>
> Thank you, Levent. And how to I update 17086 to 399.mcm only?
>
> The screen shot shows the situation *not* doing this before loading 400.mcm
>
> --Hannes
>
>> Levente
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> *Not* easy.
>>>
>>> You were lucky applying the instructions.
>>>
>>> The first time I did it I had a walkback.
>>>
>>> The second time starting with
>>> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-17086-32bit/
>>> the process stalls while applying 'Installing Kernel-eem.1083'.

Re: Broken trunk update and workaround

Levente Uzonyi
I've never tried to update an image past 399, but if your image is at
402, then I suggest you load 403, then 406.

Levente

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, H. Hirzel wrote:

> I started again with a pristine image again from
> http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-17086-32bit/
>
> By reading
>     Update stream
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3154
>
> I was directed to class MCMcmUpdater
>
> After having a look at the code of this class I did
>
>     MCMcmUpdater default lastUpdateMap
>
> and got
>
> a Dictionary('http://source.squeak.org/trunk'->402 )
>
> Which is more than the 399 you recommend and the 400 Eliot recommends
> to start with. [1]
>
> Do I need to start with an earlier version? If yes, which one?
>
> --Hannes
>

> [1] Instructions by Eliot M. to do the manual update
> http://forum.world.st/Broken-trunk-update-and-workaround-td4940633.html
> (= the start of this thread)
>
> Open the trunk repository from your Monticello Browser.
> Locate the update package (the penultimate entry in the list of packages).
> Load (or merge) update-eem.400.mcm.
> Load (or merge) update-eem.403.mcm.
> Load (or merge) update-eem.406.mcm. Save your image.
> Local the Kernel package.
> Load Kernel-eem.1078. Save your image.
> Update
>

> On 4/5/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 4/5/17, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It's because you have to update your image till 399.mcm first. I presume
>>> you just skipped that and loaded 400.mcm right into that image.
>>
>> Thank you, Levent. And how to I update 17086 to 399.mcm only?
>>
>> The screen shot shows the situation *not* doing this before loading 400.mcm
>>
>> --Hannes

Re: Broken trunk update and workaround

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Levente,  for this valuable hint :-)

This paved the road to sucess!

The following process now has worked for me (adapted from Eliot's instructions)

1) Download http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/Squeak6.0alpha-17086-32bit/

2) Verify the last update map loaded by opening a Workspace. Then evaluate
       MCMcmUpdater default lastUpdateMap
    This gives me
    'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'->402

3) Open a Monticello Browser and and click on
'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'; click 'Open'

4) Locate the second to last entry called 'update' and there
'update-eem.403.mcm' (see attachment); click on 'Load'

5) Load (or merge) update-eem.406.mcm.

6) Save your image.

7) Locate the Kernel package and click on 'Kernel-eem.1078'; "Load"

8) Save your image.

9) Choose 'Update' from the Squeak menu.

RESULT
------------

As of today this got me to version #17138

--Hannes

Squeak_trunk_update_update-eem.403.mcm.png (78K) Download Attachment
Squeak_trunk_Kernel-eem.1078.mcz.png (73K) Download Attachment

Re: Broken trunk update and workaround

Nicolas Cellier
Accidentally, my images (both 32 & 64 bits) were at 399.mcm, and the update went smoothly (well except a manual resolution of merge).
I'll have to download an older version to see how update fail...

[...]

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 04:50:54PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:49 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > Personally I like the idea of only updating progress while downloading
> > > files, and then during installation updating progress only between
> > package
> > > installs.
> >
> > Sounds good to me, we just need someone to make it happen :-)
> >

> I tried that, see MonticelloConfigurations-bf.152 in inbox. Update still
> crashes after 406 when loading Kernel-eem.1078.

It does not fix the update stream problem, but reducing the progress bar
activity seems to be a good thing in any case.

Dave

12