Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

KenDickey
Greetings,

I am trying to build a SqueakVM.  I have tried both the current
subversion branch and the 4.10.2-2614-src tarball.  Both fail
consistently.  (sq-make.out attached)

I have not done makefiles or C in many years.

Can some kind person help me out?

Thanks much!
-KenD

sq-make.out (8K) Download Attachment
-KenD
tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook    (ChrUbuntu)

tty
Hi KenD

From your sq-make.out file, it looks like you are trying to build an old StackVM as it has Cmake errors in it.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Do you already run Squeak and want to compile your own VM?
or are you just getting started with Squeak?

cheers.

tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

timrowledge

On 16-06-2014, at 7:40 PM, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to build a SqueakVM.  I have tried both the current subversion branch and the 4.10.2-2614-src tarball.  Both fail consistently.  (sq-make.out attached)

I’ll just add that Ken has one o’them weird chrome thingy machines with that no-good ARM stuff. Ignore the fact that he got a Raspbian vm from a Pi working well enough to find some rather arcane bitblt related bug(s).
Oh and he did mention a problem with npsqueak, which I always thought was obsolete, and thus perhaps no longer maintained.

That aside it’s a little bit thrilling that there actually exists 'ARM laptops’ as a thing. I think the last ones were Acorn A4 machines from circa 1990.

tim
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook    (ChrUbuntu)

tty
Hi Tim
I’ll just add that Ken has one o’them weird chrome thingy machines with that no-good ARM stuff. Ignore the fact that he got a Raspbian vm from a Pi working well enough to find some rather arcane bitblt related bug(s).
Oh and he did mention a problem with npsqueak, which I always thought was obsolete, and thus perhaps no longer maintained.

That aside it’s a little bit thrilling that there actually exists 'ARM laptops’ as a thing. I think the last ones were Acorn A4 machines from circa 1990.

Thanks, Tim.

I will back slowly back away from this thread....

(:

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

KenDickey
Great news.

Douglas McPherson sent me a Cog tarball with a system which builds from sources.

You saved me tons of work, Douglas!  Thanks again!

--
-KenD

-KenD
tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

tty
Hi Ken,

Great news.

Douglas McPherson sent me a Cog tarball with a system which builds from sources.

You saved me tons of work, Douglas! Thanks again!

Could you please send me links to the sources you mention? (or the tarball itself via my zoho account)

I have a copy of a clone of the CogSVN branch on my computer and I would like to incorporate that source tree into it to use for ARMv7 CMake development.
I can also put to together a GNU make branch that Eliot might adopt.

thx.

tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

douglas mcpherson
Glad it worked for you!

I must deflect credit though to Tim Rowledge, since he did the work for the ARMv6 Cog/Stack changes, upon which my minimal tweaks for the ARMv7 are based.

I'll work with Tim and Eliot to get the changes, if they are acceptable, merged.

Thanks,
Doug
On Jun 17, 2014, at 21:17 , Ken Dickey wrote:

> Great news.
>
> Douglas McPherson sent me a Cog tarball with a system which builds from sources.
>
> You saved me tons of work, Douglas!  Thanks again!
>
> --
> -KenD

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

douglas mcpherson
Hi tty,

You are welcome to take a look:

This is a Cog/Stack build for ARMv7 on Ubuntu.

However, the changes I made were rather blatant hacks that have not been properly integrated. I would not base any official configuration on it yet. In fact, I was holding off getting the changes properly incorporated until your CMake system was in place :)

Doug

tty

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook    (ChrUbuntu)

tty
Awesome thx. Downlaoding now.

I have a major refactoring going on to replace my Trait strategy in the package. I should have that done today.
Then, Ubuntu config for Dave followed by an ARM7 config for you.

I will have details on how to set up the system for you when its ready.

cheers.

tty.

Re: Building SqueakVM on Samsung ARM7 Chromebook (ChrUbuntu)

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Doug,

On Jun 18, 2014, at 6:20 AM, Douglas McPherson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Glad it worked for you!
>
> I must deflect credit though to Tim Rowledge, since he did the work for the ARMv6 Cog/Stack changes, upon which my minimal tweaks for the ARMv7 are based.
>
> I'll work with Tim and Eliot to get the changes, if they are acceptable, merged.

Yes please!  As far as build directories go the new more logical build structure is working, see branches/Cog/{build.linux32x86,build.macos32x86,build.win32x86}.  So it is ready to accept a build.linux32arm or build.linux32armv6 or build.rpi32arm as you see fit.  Basically if the configure step can manage the differences then a common build dir makes sense otherwise diversify.

Eliot (phone)

On 18-06-2014, at 4:59 AM, gettimothy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could you please send me links to the sources you mention? (or the tarball itself via my zoho account)

Douglas is talking about some small source code changes to what already exists. No need for a huge tree, we have a source control system. I, or perhaps Eliot, depending, can include them in the usual manner.

Doug - could you perhaps send me a listing from `svn diff` or whatever the arcane invocation is that lists all the changes? I see some of the places you touched but I’m sure I’ll miss some without guidance.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EBO: Emulate Brown-Out