Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

tblanchard
I've got a new MacBook and want to build a native version of the Unix
VM.

I'm stymied by the existence of powerpc assembly in sqUnixQuartz.m

Any hints on how to work around this?

Thanks,
Todd Blanchard

Re: Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

tblanchard
SUCCESS!

For those who come after and might search the archives - I got a
build of the Unix VM working on an Intel MacBook.

Untar the source, cd to Squeak-3.7-7/platforms/unix
config/configure --without-x   (unless you want to fiddle with not
found gl.h files in the X11 display lib)

vi vm-display-Quartz/sqUnixQuartz.m
change #define USE_SPINLOCK 1 to 0

make INTERP=interp
make INTERP=interp Squeak.app

drag the resulting Squeak-3.7-7.app into /Applications

On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:50 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> I've got a new MacBook and want to build a native version of the
> Unix VM.
>
> I'm stymied by the existence of powerpc assembly in sqUnixQuartz.m
>
> Any hints on how to work around this?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd Blanchard

Re: Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 31.03.2006 um 09:29 schrieb Todd Blanchard:
> make INTERP=interp
> make INTERP=interp Squeak.app

Ugh, does the gnuify script not work? This will severely effect
performance.

- Bert -

Re: Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

tblanchard
The VM crashes on launch in the big switch statement with a memory
access violation.

Of course, the Intel Macs are much faster than the PPC ones - so even
with this "handicap" it seems quite a bit faster than the PPC one.

On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 31.03.2006 um 09:29 schrieb Todd Blanchard:
>> make INTERP=interp
>> make INTERP=interp Squeak.app
>
> Ugh, does the gnuify script not work? This will severely effect
> performance.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

johnmci
Ah yes, well the unix maintainer can figure out why it crashes, it's
a compiler bug exposed I think due to a choice he made. If someone is
doing unix maintenance then we could undo that choice.

  I'm curious what type of tinybenchmark and macrobenchmarks numbers you
get then as compared to the carbon mac vm universal.

On 31-Mar-06, at 8:00 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> The VM crashes on launch in the big switch statement with a memory
> access violation.
>
> Of course, the Intel Macs are much faster than the PPC ones - so
> even with this "handicap" it seems quite a bit faster than the PPC
> one.
>

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> Am 31.03.2006 um 09:29 schrieb Todd Blanchard:
>>> make INTERP=interp
>>> make INTERP=interp Squeak.app
>>
>> Ugh, does the gnuify script not work? This will severely effect
>> performance.
>>
>> - Bert -

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: Building Unix Squeak VM On Intel Mac

johnmci
Clues for other are:

usage of

     register char* localSP SP_REG;
     register char* localIP IP_REG;
     register sqInt currentBytecode CB_REG;

versus

     char* localSP;
     char* localIP;
     sqInt currentBytecode;

which confuse and cause gcc 4.0x to crash. Also to produce poor code,
in checking removal of this gcc hack produces better
code on intel for gcc 4.0x and powerpc on gcc 3.3.  Likely one should
also visit compiler options on xcode project to understand the choices
I made which seem to make better assembler since we don't have to
support legacy hardware.

On 31-Mar-06, at 8:00 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> The VM crashes on launch in the big switch statement with a memory
> access violation.
>
> Of course, the Intel Macs are much faster than the PPC ones - so
> even with this "handicap" it seems quite a bit faster than the PPC
> one.
>

> On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> Am 31.03.2006 um 09:29 schrieb Todd Blanchard:
>>> make INTERP=interp
>>> make INTERP=interp Squeak.app
>>
>> Ugh, does the gnuify script not work? This will severely effect
>> performance.
>>
>> - Bert -

===