C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Bert Freudenberg

Re: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

timrowledge

On 12-05-2015, at 5:15 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Newsworthy?
>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

It *could* be an interesting thing, but there appear to be some problems.
For example, it only has a composite video out, so a fairly expensive adaptor is need to use any likely monitor. Not an issue of course for headless usage. Except they are touting the uses as a desktop machine - hey, even Scratch, wonder if they’ve adopted my improved version - which sort of needs a monitor. And the shipping is *$20*. And it only has half as much memory as a Pi, which apparently was a totally killer problem for the Pi until the Pi 2 came out. And open source bigots^H^H^H^H^Hafficionados are complaining about the use of an AllWinner soc.
On the other hand it has wi-fi & BT included.

As an IoT platform it seems like it would have a good place in the world, if the shipping didn’t make it essentially as expensive as a Pi but without the backup, community and educational raison.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant! = May conspirators assassinate you in the mall!

Re: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Bert Freudenberg

> On 12.05.2015, at 19:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 12-05-2015, at 5:15 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Newsworthy?
>>
>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer
>
> It *could* be an interesting thing, but there appear to be some problems.
> For example, it only has a composite video out, so a fairly expensive adaptor is need to use any likely monitor. Not an issue of course for headless usage. Except they are touting the uses as a desktop machine - hey, even Scratch, wonder if they’ve adopted my improved version - which sort of needs a monitor. And the shipping is *$20*. And it only has half as much memory as a Pi, which apparently was a totally killer problem for the Pi until the Pi 2 came out. And open source bigots^H^H^H^H^Hafficionados are complaining about the use of an AllWinner soc.
> On the other hand it has wi-fi & BT included.
>
> As an IoT platform it seems like it would have a good place in the world, if the shipping didn’t make it essentially as expensive as a Pi but without the backup, community and educational raison.
Whatever its flaws, it’s yet another platform shipping Squeak by default, so I thought that we might capitalize on that while it’s in the news.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Ron Teitelbaum
http://news.squeak.org/2015/05/12/cool-interesting-wait-is-that-scratch/

:)

Ron

> On 12.05.2015, at 19:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 12-05-2015, at 5:15 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Newsworthy?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-comp
uter

> It *could* be an interesting thing, but there appear to be some problems.
> For example, it only has a composite video out, so a fairly expensive
adaptor is need to use any likely monitor. Not an issue of course for
headless usage. Except they are touting the uses as a desktop machine - hey,
even Scratch, wonder if they've adopted my improved version - which sort of
needs a monitor. And the shipping is *$20*. And it only has half as much
memory as a Pi, which apparently was a totally killer problem for the Pi
until the Pi 2 came out. And open source bigots^H^H^H^H^Hafficionados are
complaining about the use of an AllWinner soc.
> On the other hand it has wi-fi & BT included.
>
> As an IoT platform it seems like it would have a good place in the world,
if the shipping didn't make it essentially as expensive as a Pi but without
the backup, community and educational raison.

Whatever its flaws, it's yet another platform shipping Squeak by default, so
I thought that we might capitalize on that while it's in the news.

- Bert -

Re: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Bert Freudenberg
Thanks, Ron!

Not quite sure why you think the Pi did not include Scratch? It did, and does. I think it was the second machine to ship a Squeak application, after Etoys on the OLPC Laptop. Now C.H.I.P. appears to become the third.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

On 12-05-2015, at 11:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whatever its flaws, it’s yet another platform shipping Squeak by default, so I thought that we might capitalize on that while it’s in the news.

No argument there.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PIC: Permute Instruction Codes

RE: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Ron Teitelbaum
I guess my comment was more like, if you funded the creation of raspberry pi
with the promise of Scratch ...

More a joke then anything serious.  I know it runs on Raspberry Pi
http://news.squeak.org/2013/04/08/girls-for-rasberry-pi/ .

Ron

--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim Strange OpCodes:
PIC: Permute Instruction Codes

RE: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Ron Teitelbaum
I've received a number of comments that my joke wasn't well received.  I've
deleted it.

Sorry for the noise.

Ron

On 12-05-2015, at 9:22 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess my comment was more like, if you funded the creation of raspberry pi
> with the promise of Scratch …
Jokes are really hard to make effectively online with text. Sometimes what would be hilarious in person just sounds awful in text with no further context. I blame Fred.

tim
this blank intentionally left spaced

Re: C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
While calling the Raspberry Pi and the C.H.I.P. "computers" is very good
marketing, it is also rather misleading. Most people would call just a
box with no keyboard or monitor a "cpu" rather than a computer. And if
it is just a board with components that doesn't have a box, power supply
or disks (in the case of the Raspberry Pi) they would call it a
"motherboard".

You can see the confusion when taking into account that you can buy four
of the slightly weaker C.H.I.P. for the same as just one Raspberry Pi B.
But if you check the costs for complete systems then they are
essentially the same and close to the price of the lowest end laptops
and tablets.

Having said all that, I think that the C.H.I.P. designers did a very
good job. When I first saw what AllWinner was doing with the ARM a few
years back this was exactly what I was looking forward to seeing. It is
a pity that you still can't buy five, for example, $9 boards and hook
them together into one faster computer. After all, Linux clusters are
pretty mature technology by now.

-- Jecel