C source license etc.

alistairgrant

Hi Everyone,

When adding new C source files to the VM (platform support files for
the FileAttributesPlugin in this case), is there a set of standard
comments that should be added to the top of the file, e.g. license
conditions, etc.?

Thanks,
Alistair

Re: C source license etc.

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Alistair,
On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:05 AM Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

When adding new C source files to the VM (platform support files for
the FileAttributesPlugin in this case), is there a set of standard
comments that should be added to the top of the file, e.g. license
conditions, etc.?

Ian Piumarta would add stuff that is at the front of e.g. platforms/unix/vm/aio.c, but Andreas Raab wouldn't. We have a LICENSE file, so there's no need for verbiage in each source file.  I would happily see the verbiage gone from the unix files; LICENSE cuts down on duplication and incidental.   source.squeak.org, home of the VMMaker packages, explicitly says code therein is under the MIT license. If there is a place other than the LICENSE file where the repository can hold licencing info I'd like to see it there also.

Thanks,
Alistair

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: C source license etc.

alistairgrant

Hi Eliot,

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 14:25, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alistair,
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 12:05 AM Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> When adding new C source files to the VM (platform support files for
>> the FileAttributesPlugin in this case), is there a set of standard
>> comments that should be added to the top of the file, e.g. license
>> conditions, etc.?
>

> Ian Piumarta would add stuff that is at the front of e.g. platforms/unix/vm/aio.c, but Andreas Raab wouldn't. We have a LICENSE file, so there's no need for verbiage in each source file.  I would happily see the verbiage gone from the unix files; LICENSE cuts down on duplication and incidental.   source.squeak.org, home of the VMMaker packages, explicitly says code therein is under the MIT license. If there is a place other than the LICENSE file where the repository can hold licencing info I'd like to see it there also.

Great, thanks.  I'm happy to leave it out.  I probably should add a
few more useful comments to help indicate what the code does. :-)

Cheers,
Alistair