CCPainter for KAT

1 message Options

CCPainter for KAT

David Faught
Hi,

I have been slowly working on some enhancements to CCPainter for the
Croquet Collaborative's KAT environment.  One of the improvements is
the ability to repaint the texture from a "handmade" object that is
already in the island scene, in a similar manner to how Plopp allows
repainting.  I'm looking for some discussion on how this should work.

When I repaint a texture from a "handmade" item that's in the scene,
what I get back for a Form to paint is a "smallerPowerOfTwo" sized
Form, not the size of the original painting.  I have the impression
that's just how it's going to work, but I could be wrong.  Is this
correct?  Anyway, I started down the path of just making sure that the
original blank painting surface is already dimensioned by powers of 2,
so that when it gets repainted, it comes out the same size.

Currently for an initial painting started by the menu sketch item, the
Tweak screen size is used as a starting point, then reduced by 100 in
each direction mainly to make room for the navigation and dock at the
bottom, then potentially/probably reduced to the smallerPowerOfTwo
(smallerPowerOfTwo does each dimension separately).  That is taken as
the painting size, then the CCPainter palette and bottom buttons are
positioned around it.  This seems to work okay, but there may be some
implications of this that haven't occurred to me yet, maybe depending
on what the Tweak screen size is.  I guess that it's a little
dangerous to assume that there is room for the palette, although the
reduction by 100 in each direction seems to take care of this.

-----

After I wrote this, I though that it might be better if you could try
it for yourself, so attached is a Monticello package and a changeSet
(to hook into the KAT menus).  The changeSet also includes a fix from
Andreas for a skinned button problem that affects CPainter.  Load
these in a Collaborative or SDK image, start the KAT demo, then
CCPainter will be in the New->Sketch menu item.  Try painting an
object, put it in the scene, and then repaint it.  Let me know how it
works for you.

There is a Flash demo of a slightly older version of CCPainter at
http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/ccpainter1.htm

Dave

P.S.  Please DO NOT attach to the Collaborative's server with this
code loaded, use it only locally for now.

patch4CCPainter.1.cs (3K) Download Attachment
dafHacks-CCPainter-daf.21.mcz (15K) Download Attachment