CCPainter

dlw1
Hi,

I understand if this is an obvious question and I'm simply missing something, but I've been attempting to replace TPainter with CCPainter and haven't got it working yet. I loaded the file from the Public Contributions page into a CCPainter folder with Monticello. Where do I go from here?

Dan

Re: CCPainter

RichWhite
I'm not sure - but I think this tutorial may still work -
http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/ccpainter1.htm

Worst case senerio you might try this -- in the past I have used
CCPainter as part of a project I have been working on - you may want
to use it simply to build your world & .c3d template .. then just move
the cache to your project ----  http://edusim3d.com/Edusim_BUILDER.zip
--- might give it a try.

=====

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:04 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand if this is an obvious question and I'm simply missing something, but I've been attempting to replace TPainter with CCPainter and haven't got it working yet. I loaded the file from the Public Contributions page into a CCPainter folder with Monticello. Where do I go from here?
>
> Dan

Re: CCPainter

dlw1
Ok, that tutorial worked out fine. I just brought in the file using Monticello and then added the code for the CCPainter menu item to the CroquetMenuObject class. After getting it to work, we had a few questions about actually using it.

First off, I might have just taken the wrong version from the Public Contributions repository, but none of the icons (e.g. the paint can and pencil) are visible and instead appear as colorful blobs. Did I make a mistake or is this a known glitch?

Secondly, after creating a billboard-like object by pressing "OK," is it possible to move it around in the world?

Finally, I briefly saw someone mention attempting to use CCPainter to create landscapes for a new world. While I understand that this is clearly not the best tool for doing so, if we just wanted a very primitive landscape with a few basic 3D models in it, would we be able to create that with CCPainter and then save that world as it is so that it could be opened later?

Thanks

Re: CCPainter

David Faught
> Ok, that tutorial worked out fine. I just brought in the file using Monticello and then added the code for the CCPainter menu item to the CroquetMenuObject class. After getting it to work, we had a few questions about actually using it.
>
> First off, I might have just taken the wrong version from the Public Contributions repository, but none of the icons (e.g. the paint can and pencil) are visible and instead appear as colorful blobs. Did I make a mistake or is this a known glitch?

Somewhere in the references that Rich sent earlier, maybe that same
tutorial, is a mention of a fix that is attached to a Mantis error
item.  You need to download that attachment and apply it to your
Croquet.

> Secondly, after creating a billboard-like object by pressing "OK," is it possible to move it around in the world?

In the KAT demo, you can alt-click, or some king of click, to bring up
a menu for the item. IIRC, use the menu to edit the item lets you move
it around, rotate it, etc.

> Finally, I briefly saw someone mention attempting to use CCPainter to create landscapes for a new world. While I understand that this is clearly not the best tool for doing so, if we just wanted a very primitive landscape with a few basic 3D models in it, would we be able to create that with CCPainter and then save that world as it is so that it could be opened later?

Well, right up to the part about saving the world, yes.  Being able to
save the world state is something that is in the Cobalt project, but
not in the KAT demo.  Maybe CCPainter can be adapted to Cobalt fairly
easily, but I haven't looked at that lately.  If you want to try it,
be my guest.

> Thanks

Anytime.

Dave