CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Klaus D. Witzel
List,

have a look at

- http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire

Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
$49.95/yr.)

Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?

/Klaus

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Edgar J. De Cleene
Klaus D. Witzel puso en su mail :

> List,
>
> have a look at
>
> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
>
> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
> $49.95/yr.)
>
> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?
>
> /Klaus
If they got many sells , some members could be hired for doing final users
stuff, what in turn only could improve Squeak

Hope when users have it do good reviews, now is 0 review.

Edgar

Horóscopos, Salud y belleza, Chistes, Consejos de amor:
el contenido más divertido para tu celular está en Yahoo! Móvil.
Obtenelo en http://movil.yahoo.com.ar

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Gary Fisher-3
Hi, Klaus!

Wouldn't it be great if Squeak was the incentive behind all those Linspire
CNR subscriptions?  Of course, what they're selling is not Squeak
(http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_details.php?product_id=23092&pg=de
scription) but super-easy one-click installation, not only of Squeak (which
is already pretty easy :-) but of far more complex software as well.  Since
a lot of schools are now using Linspire, thanks to their education licensing
discounts (http://www.linspire.com/education_page.php) this might be a great
way to get Squeak into a number of classrooms.  Anything that gets Squeak
into the hands of users, and especially kids, is good for Squeak.

Gary

Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
$49.95/yr.)

Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?

/Klaus

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0620-3, 05/19/2006
Tested on: 5/20/06 10:13:39 PM

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Gary,

on Sun, 21 May 2006 04:13:35 +0200, ou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Klaus!
>
> Wouldn't it be great if Squeak was the incentive behind all those
> Linspire CNR subscriptions?

Yes, as much [incentive] as is possible, please !

> Of course, what they're selling is not Squeak
> (http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_details.php?product_id=23092&pg=de
> scription) but super-easy one-click installation, not only of Squeak
> (which
> is already pretty easy :-) but of far more complex software as well.
> Since
> a lot of schools are now using Linspire, thanks to their education
> licensing
> discounts (http://www.linspire.com/education_page.php) this might be a
> great
> way to get Squeak into a number of classrooms.  Anything that gets Squeak
> into the hands of users, and especially kids, is good for Squeak.

What surprised me when I found Linspire's Squeak offering was, as the
subject line says: they sell it as teaching tool for education (while at
the same time Squeak can be downloaded and used without such a
subscription).

So there are people other than those in *@lists.squeakfoundation.org who
work on the popularity of Squeak. This is very good to see. Plus some of
the Squeak developers see, as Edgar noted, that their Squeak software it
sold! O.K. a CNR subscription is rather payed for support, but who cares,
if that works.

So, if everything goes well, we will see requests for support from the
Linspire people AND from their customers, hopefully many :-)

There are [said to be some] 5 million Java developers; this number could
be exceeded by the number of students (CNR or not) who use Squeak, with
ease.

/Klaus

> Gary

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Milan Zimmermann-2
Klaus,

Interesting find, you may want to forward this to the squeakland list, as I
imagine the main purpose for Squeak presence in Linspire is use in schools.

I clicked on the "Teaching Tools" breadcrumbs on top, and it leads to all the
software in that category, sorted by popularity, Squeak is in the top third,
although it is last with a number on the left, not sure what the number
means.

Also, it is not "Reviewed" yet on the site. Perhaps someone with Linspire
subscription here could rate it...marketing is important :)

Milan

On 2006 May 20 15:15, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> List,
>
> have a look at
>
> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
>
> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
> $49.95/yr.)
>
> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?
>
> /Klaus

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Brad Fuller
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> List,
> have a look at
> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
> $49.95/yr.)
> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?

In addition to promoting it as a educational tool, another way of
promoting squeak would be to offer it under the guise of a website
creation tool. Provide a squeak image at Linspire that includes seaside
and a default basic website: thus promoting squeak through the usage of
seaside. Perhaps the image consists of tutorials on seaside basics and
has an already-made website (or wiki) that can be easily changed for
beginners. Might be popular with teachers as a starting point for
teaching OOP at the high school and beginning college level.

If there were one or two dedicated and outlandish personalities that had
the talent of promoting seaside to an audience (think Steve Jobs for
apple or McNealy for Java), I can see conferences popping up promoting
the ins and outs of website development using seaside. The conference(s)
could focus on creating services for the Internet, not necessarily focus
on smalltalk programming. Of course, the sessions would be about
smalltalk, but the end goal would be how to create Internet services --
Internet service developers really want an edge on their competition,
seaside provides a new fresh approach.

Seaside has had nothing but praise from what I've seen. Why not use this
energy for it's own promotion? What would come along for the ride is the
acceptance of smalltalk as a viable development and production tool.

brad

Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Brad,

on Sun, 21 May 2006 19:59:29 +0200, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> List,
>> have a look at
>> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
>> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
>> $49.95/yr.)
>> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?
>>

> In addition to promoting it as a educational tool, another way of
> promoting squeak would be to offer it under the guise of a website
> creation tool.
> Internet service developers really want an edge on their competition,
> seaside provides a new fresh approach.
>
> Seaside has had nothing but praise from what I've seen. Why not use this
> energy for it's own promotion? What would come along for the ride is the
> acceptance of smalltalk as a viable development and production tool.

Yes, good idea. But such an undertaking needs some 3-10M$ (or EUR) for
nothing but marketing (read: not one new line of code needs to be written,
except for producing marketing material=multimedia authoring). This is
what new economy dictates. Not that I think that it is impossible, you
know. Does anybody in this list happen to know U.S. investors or perhaps
business angles?

/Klaus

> brad

Re: [Seaside] Re: CNR Warehouse > Home & Education > Teaching Tools > Squeak

Brad Fuller
Klaus D. Witzel wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> on Sun, 21 May 2006 19:59:29 +0200, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>> List,
>>> have a look at
>>> - http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+smalltalk+linspire
>>> Free to CNR Warehouse Members (CNR Service $19.95/yr. CNR Gold Service
>>> $49.95/yr.)
>>> Who says that people cannot make money by *selling* Squeak?
>>>

>> In addition to promoting it as a educational tool, another way of
>> promoting squeak would be to offer it under the guise of a website
>> creation tool.
>> Internet service developers really want an edge on their competition,
>> seaside provides a new fresh approach.
>>
>> Seaside has had nothing but praise from what I've seen. Why not use this
>> energy for it's own promotion? What would come along for the ride is the
>> acceptance of smalltalk as a viable development and production tool.
>
> Yes, good idea. But such an undertaking needs some 3-10M$ (or EUR) for
> nothing but marketing (read: not one new line of code needs to be
> written, except for producing marketing material=multimedia
> authoring). This is what new economy dictates. Not that I think that
> it is impossible, you know. Does anybody in this list happen to know
> U.S. investors or perhaps business angles?

I don't know the numbers, but I agree sponsorship is critical.  I don't
see how anyone would see that strictly sponsoring seaside outright could
make them any $$$. But, I do see how vendors that looking for a vehicle
to promote their tools, libs, services, applications. etc using seaside
would see value from a conference. If the vendors contributed $$$ to the
conference, and a nominal fee for attendees was required, maybe it could
work. It wouldn't start out big (it wouldn't be JavaOne out of the
gate), but it could grow appropriately over time. Maybe the first few
conferences are small and the location is donated by a university to
save cost. Heck, I started going to the game developers conference back
in the early 80s and there were just a few 20 or 30 that showed up at
the Red Baron hotel in San Jose. Now look at it (if you don't know, it's
big.) Granted, different business... but you get my drift: start small
with grassroots dedicated evangelists and test the waters.

brad