COG VM for XO

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: COG VM for XO

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
For quick test, you may want to fetch this bundle and replace the
drgeo.image with your own and rezip it
http://people.ofset.org/hilaire/drgeo2/DrGeoII-11.03.xo

For installation/deinstallation of XO bundle:
http://community.ofset.org/index.php/FAQ_DrGeo#How_to_install_manually_DrGeo_in_my_XO.3F

Now, Eliot I really mean to get the locale working with XO COG VM, but
it is a hudge distracting job for me. Not only volunteer on developing
DrGeo, but also I have to take care of infrastructures (vm, locale),
this is just too much.
The people developing interactive geometry software with JAVA does not
have to take care of that infrastructure aspect.

I'll try and get help with this next week at Lille.  But I've been up to other things (writing blog posts) that I absolutely must get done.  Apologies.

Hilaire

--
Education 0.2 -- http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Cuis runs on my XO!!! (was Re: [squeak-dev] COG VM for XO)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hilaire!

It works! Thank you!

It took me more time than I expected... DrGeoII-11.03.xo failed to run
on my XO. I had never updated its software, it was at #656, v. 7.1.2. I
tried updating it (firmware, OS, everything) to 10.1.3. Then
DrGeoII-11.03 started to work. For some unknown reason, when building
the bundle with Winzip on Windows, the modified bundle would install but
not run. So I reinstalled your original bundle, and copied my
image/changes/sources to /home/olpc/Activities/DrGeoII.activity/drgeo/
naming them drgeo.image, drgeo.changes and CuisV3.sources. Started the
DrGeoII activity and Cuis ran correctly.

These steps could be useful for others, I believe they should work with
any Squeak or Pharo closures image.

TinyBenchmarks report 6.2MSends/sec and 37MBytecodes/sec. A great
speedup over the VM bundled with Etoys (in the original firmware, around
2006 or 2007).

Some things feel just a bit slow, but it is perfectly usable.

Wish list: Big cursor seems to fail. This is rather important on the XO
due to the very high dpi screen.

Again, thank you!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> For quick test, you may want to fetch this bundle and replace the
> drgeo.image with your own and rezip it
> http://people.ofset.org/hilaire/drgeo2/DrGeoII-11.03.xo
>
> For installation/deinstallation of XO bundle:
> http://community.ofset.org/index.php/FAQ_DrGeo#How_to_install_manually_DrGeo_in_my_XO.3F
>
> Now, Eliot I really mean to get the locale working with XO COG VM, but
> it is a hudge distracting job for me. Not only volunteer on developing
> DrGeo, but also I have to take care of infrastructures (vm, locale),
> this is just too much.
> The people developing interactive geometry software with JAVA does not
> have to take care of that infrastructure aspect.
>

> Hilaire

Re: Cuis runs on my XO!!! (was Re: COG VM for XO)

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Cuis runs on my XO!!! (was Re: COG VM for XO)

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 9, 2011, at 4:51 AM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Hello Juan,
>
> Great it was useful to you. But thanks goes to Eliot anyway.
> I hope he can help to make the locale working with this VM. May be it is
> just a little things wrong from me, but I don't know.
>
> I agree COG VM really brings a lot to XO laptop for Smalltalk
> application or Smalltalk experience. I hope the Squeakland team can have
> some chance to update the image with the closure fixes.
>
> Yes, Big cursor is also what I want to look at, it does not work, there
> is a primitive fail. It seems I compiled the VM without the appropriate
> plugin. Anyone know which plugin is needed for the BigCursor?
>
> Hilaire

It's part of the x11 display module. The XRender extension headers need to be present when building. Look at your configuration log.

- Bert -

CONTENTS DELETED

On 09.03.2011, at 13:01, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Le 09/03/2011 17:03, Bert Freudenberg a écrit :
>
>>> Yes, Big cursor is also what I want to look at, it does not work, there
>>> is a primitive fail. It seems I compiled the VM without the appropriate
>>> plugin. Anyone know which plugin is needed for the BigCursor?
>>>
>>> Hilaire
>>
>> It's part of the x11 display module. The XRender extension headers need to be present when building. Look at your configuration log.
>>

> I have it
> bash-3.2# rpm -qa | grep render
> libXrender-0.9.4-3.fc9.i386
> libXrender-devel-0.9.4-3.fc9.i386
>

> Then, I can't see references to render in the log unixbuild/bld/config.log
>
> Hilaire

Maybe it's not implemented for the CMake version yet?

- Bert -