Call For Design for the Seaside web site

123

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Michael Davies-2
Hi Lukas,

I know it's easier to critique someone else's work than to be original
oneself, so I'd like to start by thank you and Samuel for actually
trying these ideas out! I know what to look for in visual design but
have little creative ability myself...

Here's my comments:

I like the star idea - would it be better filled with a sandy yellow
so it looks more like a starfish? That would also give us two colours
to use as highlight colours on the rest of the page (like python.org,
flickr.com, and existing seaside.st). To me, the star looks 'wonky' -
does it look better upright?

But this raises the question of whether it is intended that the
"seaside+star" logo be *the* logo for Seaside? The existing
"waves+sun+seaside" logo is pretty nice - is it clear that it's not
working for us?

If we do want to replace it, it would be useful to think about some of
the other usages of a logo before committing to a final design:
How will the logo be used as a standalone image (eg on the wikipedia
page) - what colors will be used? Just the star, or seaside+star with
a transparent background?
How will the logo be used with extra text for buttons on other pages?
(eg there's useful space at the top left for "powered by" or "made
with" etc, and at the bottom right for "2.0" or "inside") - it would
be useful to have a couple of samples, using a widely available font
so that people can make their own if required.

On the page design generally I like the layout and use of the space,
though there's a lot of different colours and a few different families
of fonts used - I think cutting down on both would give a cleaner
look. I'd also be interested to see a mockup of one or two of the
detail pages to see how the look translates to the rest of the site -
what navigation elements remain, how much of the content is available
from each page etc.

I hope that this feedback is of use to you,
Michael

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Samuel MORELLO
Hello and thanks for your comments.

Concerning the seaside logo, i can not answer if seaside need to change or keep the existing one.
But if we want to move on a logo like the one use in this proposal, i can continue working on and submit proposals based on this one to get feedback and modify it in consequences .

Could you details a little bit more on which fonts and colors you want to adapt ?
I can make new proposals based on your remarks.

I have started to do something for the page inside but was waiting for comments on this design.

Should you have any comments feel free to send it.

Thanks again,

Samuel

On 3/14/07, Michael Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ramon Leon-5

> >> Maybe you could put a tiny white seastar as the dot of the i in
> >> Seaside? I think that would look quite nice. Most Web 2.0
> logos are
> >> the product name in bold fonts, mostly with a subtle tweak
> somewhere
> >> ... Sebastian, if you want I can give you the vector shape.
> >
> > I have something along the attached file in mind. It is a
> bit tricky
> > to do on the existing template bitmap, but I guess one can
> see how it
> > is supposed to look like.
> >
> > Lukas
> >

> Heheheheh. It looks like "Seaside" brightens your whites and
> keeps your colors from running, even in warm water!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.  Also, how come no one has
mentioned that it's Smalltalk, not SmallTalk, I hate that.  Not a big fan of
the dark orange and blue, very harsh on my eyes.  I'd prefer the look of the
current seaside site over this.  Regardless, thanks for the effort Samuel, I
have no design skills myself, so I'll shut up now.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Brad Fuller
Jason Johnson wrote:
> Haha.  That is exactly what I was thinking!

Yes, it's a bit pop culture-ish. This certainly has a certain look to
it, and to me it evokes a feeling of bubble gum - a bold idea.

Lukas: what do you want to convey with the look and the function of the
site? Do you want playful? fun? professional? classy? irony?  poke fun
at? mysterious? beautiful? stark/austere? bold? pastel? etc...

I really like the idea of using the star as a rotating menu selector.
Unless someone has the time, it might be too much to do. But, it would
be cool.

I think it's a given to use the idea of the "seaside" as the jumping off
point of what the look would be. The seaside is fun and can be crowded
but also serene. The logo can come later and a star is a very easy
object to use, modify and extend. Why not use the colors of the seaside
in pastels? Sand - near white sand with hints of yellow, browns and
pastel blues. Fonts are not so hard to pick from because of the limited
palette available to browsers.

some color ideas:
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=5
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=73
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=109
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=38
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=41
http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?cc_id=117

> Blake wrote:

>>> I have something along the attached file in mind. It is a bit tricky
>>> to do on the existing template bitmap, but I guess one can see how it
>>> is supposed to look like.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>

>> Heheheheh. It looks like "Seaside" brightens your whites and keeps
>> your colors from running, even in warm water!

brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/
  +1 (408) 799-6124

RE: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Brad,

As a side note only, have you seen kuler (http://kuler.adobe.com/) yet?
It's a much nicer tool than color combos IMHO.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Sebastian Sastre-2

Boris,

        amazing site. How they could do those interfaces? Just javascript
intensive? Can we realistically make thos kind of UI for Seaside apps?

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

It's all Flash,

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/special/flashanniversary/

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:
> Brad,
>
> As a side note only, have you seen kuler (http://kuler.adobe.com/) yet?
> It's a much nicer tool than color combos IMHO.

It is cool.
Check out "Seaside Dreamsicle" for seaside.

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Samuel MORELLO
Hello Ramon and thanks for your comments.

Stephane had notice this error for Smalltalk.

I am not arrested on my proposal and my main motivation is to help to create a design for the seaside website.
If this proposal doesn't fits the needs for this site i would be please to make a new proposal, even if it is difficult to create something that is convenient for everybody.

So examples are very usefull to have a representation of tastes of everyone.

To do something new, i need to know if the logo must stay the same as it is today, can 'evolve' a little bit or can be a new one ?

For this design there was the use of a grid that use 4 columns.
I thinks it is really helpful to present something for the homepage.
The pages inside will only two columns with a bigger one at the left (first 3 columns) and a little one at the right.
Could we keep this idea ?
An excellent use of this is <a href="http://www.haveamint.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">www.haveamint.com

One site i really like for colors and composition is <a href="http://www.simplebits.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> www.simplebits.com

Thanks,

Samuel

On 3/14/07, Ramon Leon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Maybe you could put a tiny white seastar as the dot of the i in
> >> Seaside? I think that would look quite nice. Most Web 2.0
> logos are
> >> the product name in bold fonts, mostly with a subtle tweak
> somewhere
> >> ... Sebastian, if you want I can give you the vector shape.
> >
> > I have something along the attached file in mind. It is a
> bit tricky
> > to do on the existing template bitmap, but I guess one can
> see how it
> > is supposed to look like.
> >
> > Lukas
> >

> Heheheheh. It looks like "Seaside" brightens your whites and
> keeps your colors from running, even in warm water!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.  Also, how come no one has
mentioned that it's Smalltalk, not SmallTalk, I hate that.  Not a big fan of
the dark orange and blue, very harsh on my eyes.  I'd prefer the look of the
current seaside site over this.  Regardless, thanks for the effort Samuel, I
have no design skills myself, so I'll shut up now.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Samuel

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Lukas Renggli
> Stephane had notice this error for Smalltalk.

I would suggest to trim any text to the shortest possible length
anyway. In the given example I was thinking of "Sophisticated web
applications in Smalltalk"

> I am not arrested on my proposal and my main motivation is to help to create
> a design for the seaside website.
>  If this proposal doesn't fits the needs for this site i would be please to
> make a new proposal, even if it is difficult to create something that is
> convenient for everybody.

Again, I thank you very much of proposing this design. The complaints
of people not proposing a design (or part of a design) count less ;-)

> To do something new, i need to know if the logo must stay the same as it is
> today, can 'evolve' a little bit or can be a new one ?

What is the logo today? Currently there are different images on
seaside.st, I don't know which one is the logo. Of course that's a
personal taste, but to me the current logo looks flat, pale and
old-ish. I even stopped to use it in my presentations.

I prefer to have strong colors, bold text, simple shapes and
minimalist design. I like the outline of the seastar, but not the
shading and the color.

> Could we keep this idea ?
>  An excellent use of this is www.haveamint.com

I think so, we need some space for the editor and the commands, if we use Pier.

> One site i really like for colors and composition is www.simplebits.com

Yeah, I like both designs.

> Lukas: what do you want to convey with the look and the
> function of the site? Do you want playful? fun? professional?
> classy? irony?  poke fun at? mysterious? beautiful? stark/
> austere? bold? pastel? etc...

Professional, simple, web 2.0, ...

Samuel, did you do the design for www.simplebits.com? I think
something like that could work very well. Different logo (just the
shape of the seastar), different color scheme, maybe something
different for the tabs (I don't find them really cool on this site),
simple, plain, ...

> I really like the idea of using the star as a rotating
> menu selector. Unless someone has the time, it might be too
> much to do. But, it would be cool.

I don't quite understand how this is supposed to work. Could anybody
build a quick mockup of this?

Cheers,
Lukas

> Thanks,
>
> Samuel

> > > logos are
> > > somewhere

> > > bit tricky
> > > see how it

> > > Heheheheh. It looks like "Seaside" brightens your whites and
> > > keeps your colors from running, even in warm water!
> >
> > Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.  Also, how come no one has
> > mentioned that it's Smalltalk, not SmallTalk, I hate that.  Not a big fan
> of
> > the dark orange and blue, very harsh on my eyes.  I'd prefer the look of
> the
> > current seaside site over this.  Regardless, thanks for the effort Samuel,
> > have no design skills myself, so I'll shut up now.
> >
> > Ramon Leon
> > http://onsmalltalk.com

> Samuel

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Lukas: what do you want to convey with the look and the
>> function of the site? Do you want playful? fun? professional?
>> classy? irony?  poke fun at? mysterious? beautiful? stark/
>> austere? bold? pastel? etc...
>
> Professional, simple, web 2.0, ...
>
> Samuel, did you do the design for www.simplebits.com? I think
> something like that could work very well. Different logo (just the
> shape of the seastar), different color scheme, maybe something
> different for the tabs (I don't find them really cool on this site),
> simple, plain, ...

Even though my opinion is counts less, to me, simplebits is like all the
other 1,000 blog templates out there. My strong suggestion is to have
something unique; as unique as seaside is in development and deployment,
Pier should convey smart, uniqueness, cool and 21st century design.
Something different but very functional. This can be achieved along with
your request that it be professional, simple and web 2.0.

brad

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:13:29 +0100, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> ... The complaints
> of people not proposing a design (or part of a design) count less ;-)

Calligraphy for small, little

- http://aaew2.bbaw.de/hgl/91/91760.JPG

Calligraphy for tale, conversation

- http://aaew2.bbaw.de/hgl/150/150950.JPG

Calligraphy for shore, edge (yikes, it's spelling "jdb", don't even think
about using it!)

- http://aaew2.bbaw.de/hgl/33/33960.JPG

Calligraphy for bank; shore; quay

- http://aaew2.bbaw.de/hgl/72/72540.JPG

Calligraphy for mouse (Re's [Ra's] abhorrence)

- http://aaew2.bbaw.de/hgl/60/60020.JPG

You see, I don't complain.

/Klaus

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Lukas Renggli
> Even though my opinion is counts less, to me, simplebits is like all the
> other 1,000 blog templates out there. My strong suggestion is to have
> something unique; as unique as seaside is in development and deployment,
> Pier should convey smart, uniqueness, cool and 21st century design.
> Something different but very functional. This can be achieved along with
> your request that it be professional, simple and web 2.0.

Sure, it was not my suggestion to copy something existing.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Michael Davies-2
Okay, I got my hands dirty...

I looked at the existing logo again and I think it's actually very
good, so I had a play with the existing seaside page to see if a few
tweaks could start to liven it up.
I used kuler to touch up the colours - the seaside logo is now in
Mediterranean colours rather than North Sea colours!
I used Century Gothic from the logo as the headline font, using
colours from the palette that I generated in kuler.
I copied Samuel's idea of a bottom-of-page navigation bar, and added
some other areas of colour to liven the page up.

Now I did all this in a simple image-editing package (Seashore by
coincidence), so this image isn't great, but I think it shows that
there's things that could be done with the existing look.

So what do people think?

http://mykdavies.seasidehosting.st/resources/seasidepage.png

Cheers, Michael

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Lukas Renggli
> Now I did all this in a simple image-editing package (Seashore by
> coincidence), so this image isn't great, but I think it shows that
> there's things that could be done with the existing look.
>
> So what do people think?

I think the colors are much nicer. I wonder if the gradient and the
seastar on the left it is really needed? I think the left side adds no
value, but distraction. Emptiness is sometimes cool as well ..

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Michael Davies wrote:

> Okay, I got my hands dirty...
>
> I looked at the existing logo again and I think it's actually very
> good, so I had a play with the existing seaside page to see if a few
> tweaks could start to liven it up.
> I used kuler to touch up the colours - the seaside logo is now in
> Mediterranean colours rather than North Sea colours!
> I used Century Gothic from the logo as the headline font, using
> colours from the palette that I generated in kuler.
> I copied Samuel's idea of a bottom-of-page navigation bar, and added
> some other areas of colour to liven the page up.
>
> Now I did all this in a simple image-editing package (Seashore by
> coincidence), so this image isn't great, but I think it shows that
> there's things that could be done with the existing look.
>
> So what do people think?
>
> http://mykdavies.seasidehosting.st/resources/seasidepage.png

I like the bolder colors of the logo and of the site.
I like the seaside logo: it is modern and shows sea and sun. IT would
also work well if it needed to be B&W or grayscale at some point.

I wouldn't make the text black, though. A little to bold for the rest of
the colors.

The Star could be different. Don't know how... but it's a different
design style from the seaside logo. Then again, if it's kept the
viewer's focus would bounce back and forth between the star and the
seaside logo. If removed it could balance off the heaviness of the left.
If kept, links on the left could be moved to another place.

I like the bkg gradients. How is that done in seaside?

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

timrowledge

On 14-Mar-07, at 1:08 PM, Michael Davies wrote:

> Okay, I got my hands dirty...
>

> http://mykdavies.seasidehosting.st/resources/seasidepage.png

*I* think it's rather nice. Bright without being cheap-auto salesman.
Whimsical without being all Hello-kitty.

tim
...now touch these wires to your tongue!

Re: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Rick Flower
Brad Fuller wrote:

> Michael Davies wrote:
>> Okay, I got my hands dirty...
>>
>> I looked at the existing logo again and I think it's actually very
>> good, so I had a play with the existing seaside page to see if a few
>> tweaks could start to liven it up.
>> I used kuler to touch up the colours - the seaside logo is now in
>> Mediterranean colours rather than North Sea colours!
>> I used Century Gothic from the logo as the headline font, using
>> colours from the palette that I generated in kuler.
>> I copied Samuel's idea of a bottom-of-page navigation bar, and added
>> some other areas of colour to liven the page up.
>>
>> Now I did all this in a simple image-editing package (Seashore by
>> coincidence), so this image isn't great, but I think it shows that
>> there's things that could be done with the existing look.
>>
>> So what do people think?
>>
>> http://mykdavies.seasidehosting.st/resources/seasidepage.png
>
> I like the bolder colors of the logo and of the site.
> I like the seaside logo: it is modern and shows sea and sun. IT would
> also work well if it needed to be B&W or grayscale at some point.
I wonder if the top-logo (star fish + ocean/sun) might look better as a
real image (e.g. photo) if it wasn't too huge
to download and find a nice star fish image to layer on top of the left
side.. I poked around on images.google.com
and also on pbase.com for various things but I suspect it would be
better to create an image from scratch using a
camera (preferably with a wide-angle lens).. I was thinking of an image
that would show a tropic beach with the
sun in one corner and perhaps a palm tree nearby along with the starfish
at the far left -- obviously a wide image..
Anyway, I'm guessing this will be shot down, but thought I'd throw it
out there anyway.. :-)

RE: Call For Design for the Seaside web site

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
iStockPhoto has a bunch,

http://tinyurl.com/yocprv

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Avi Bryant-2
This is what they really look like, of course... (from Galiano Island
where I spend most weekends).

IMG_0031.jpg (363K) Download Attachment
123