Call for All-in-One help

Chris Muller-3
I have just posted Squeak-4.2-All-in-One.zip to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.2.

It's a zip that contains VM's for Windows, Linux and Mac.  The idea is
anyone can download this, unzip it, then simply double-click on the
appropriate launch:

  Linux users --> squeak.sh
  Windows users --> Squeak.exe
  Mac -->

I have access to Linux and Windows, this is working with the latest
VMs (Linux 4.4.7 and 4.1.1 Windows) for those platforms.  However, the
Mac VM currently included is the one that was shipped in the
Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip.  I don't know if we want to include
Estebans new VM with 4.2 or not.

I have no access or knowledge about Macs.  Would someone with a Mac
please help us and test and/or upgrade the Mac VM in this file?  This
is one of the last remaining steps to release 4.2.

Thanks,
  Chris

Re: Call for All-in-One help

Casey Ransberger-2
Would pulling it down, running the tests under the Mac Vm, and reporting the results sufficiently quell your concerns? Cause I can do that some time in the next couple evenings.

On Feb 3, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just posted Squeak-4.2-All-in-One.zip to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.2.
>
> It's a zip that contains VM's for Windows, Linux and Mac.  The idea is
> anyone can download this, unzip it, then simply double-click on the
> appropriate launch:
>
>  Linux users --> squeak.sh
>  Windows users --> Squeak.exe
>  Mac -->
>
> I have access to Linux and Windows, this is working with the latest
> VMs (Linux 4.4.7 and 4.1.1 Windows) for those platforms.  However, the
> Mac VM currently included is the one that was shipped in the
> Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip.  I don't know if we want to include
> Estebans new VM with 4.2 or not.
>
> I have no access or knowledge about Macs.  Would someone with a Mac
> please help us and test and/or upgrade the Mac VM in this file?  This
> is one of the last remaining steps to release 4.2.
>
> Thanks,
>  Chris

Re: Call for All-in-One help

Simon Michael
On 2/3/11 12:35 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> I have access to Linux and Windows, this is working with the latest
> VMs (Linux 4.4.7 and 4.1.1 Windows) for those platforms.  However, the
> Mac VM currently included is the one that was shipped in the
> Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip.  I don't know if we want to include
> Estebans new VM with 4.2 or not.

Hi Chris.. working nicely here on OSX leopard. About this System reports:

Virtual Machine
---------------
Squeak3.8.1 of '28 Aug 2006' [latest update: #6747] 4.2
/Users/simon/Desktop/Squeak 4.2 All-in-One.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak VM Opt
Mac Carbon 4.2.4b1 28-Mar-10 >45CAAEAC-5A1E-4327-9702-7973E3473FDE<

Tiny Benchmarks
---------------
493731918 bytecodes/sec; 10946039 sends/sec

I'm all for shipping the newest shiniest VM available for mac folks, let's get the VM maintainers' hard work out to the
users!

Cog would be fastest, I'm guessing you deem it not yet tested enough or with enough plugins.

Esteban's seems to work here and looks a little faster:

Virtual Machine
---------------
Pharo-1.1.1-- of 12 September 2010 [Latest update: #11414] 21.0
/Users/simon/Desktop
Mac Cocoa 5.7b3 27-Aug-10 >7BCAB029-A835-4D12-946D-4AB7083D2955<
VMMaker versionString 4.4.9

Tiny Benchmarks
---------------
527291452 bytecodes/sec; 12815922 sends/sec

Other notes about Esteban's VM:

- it's got "Pharo" in the version string.

- it seems free of the slight menu item unhighlighting delay I reported - better display updating code ?

- it's got more standard system menus, including the quit command in the right place. It still doesn't obey the
command-Q key though (Cog does.)

- it looks 64-bit image ready, which I guess the old vm is not.

Re: Call for All-in-One help

Simon Michael
I sent before running tests or trying an update. I couldn't find an easy way to get test results as text, so please see
attached screenshots.

With both Esteban's and Cog VMs, after running tests it started showing an "Error: instances of StrikeFont are not
indexable" popup several times a minute until I clicked Abandon.

cog-vm.png (18K) Download Attachment
estebans-vm.png (19K) Download Attachment
included-vm.png (19K) Download Attachment

all-in-one vs VM icons

Simon Michael
Re icon titles:

- the all-in-one package unpacks to a golden squeak icon titled "Squeak 4.2 All-in-One". Is this (great) packaging the
standard now ? If so maybe drop the All-in-One ?

- Esteban's VM unpacks to the same icon titled "Squeak 5.7.4" which is a little confusing. Maybe "Squeak VM ..." and a
different icon for one or the other would be more optimal.

Re: Call for All-in-One help

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Chris Muller wrote:

> I have just posted Squeak-4.2-All-in-One.zip to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.2.
>
> It's a zip that contains VM's for Windows, Linux and Mac.  The idea is
> anyone can download this, unzip it, then simply double-click on the
> appropriate launch:
>
>  Linux users --> squeak.sh
>  Windows users --> Squeak.exe
>  Mac -->
>
> I have access to Linux and Windows, this is working with the latest
> VMs (Linux 4.4.7 and 4.1.1 Windows) for those platforms.  However, the
> Mac VM currently included is the one that was shipped in the
> Squeak-4.1-All-in-One.zip.  I don't know if we want to include
> Estebans new VM with 4.2 or not.
>
> I have no access or knowledge about Macs.  Would someone with a Mac
> please help us and test and/or upgrade the Mac VM in this file?  This
> is one of the last remaining steps to release 4.2.

What's the status of the VM builds for Windows and Mac? IIRC the original
planned release date was december and later was changed to january.
What's the status of Cog VMs? It would be nice to include those too.

Levente

> Thanks,
>  Chris

Re: Call for All-in-One help

Casey Ransberger-2
FWIW, if you bring up the halo on the list morph in the test runner, you can drill down to the data structure, which can be copy and pasted.

It took me forever to realize this:/ and in general I think it'd be lovely to add a context menu option that does it in the long run. I haven't had enough time to doIt, with the other things on my todo list.

On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sent before running tests or trying an update. I couldn't find an easy way to get test results as text, so please see attached screenshots.
>
> With both Esteban's and Cog VMs, after running tests it started showing an "Error: instances of StrikeFont are not indexable" popup several times a minute until I clicked Abandon.
>
> <cog-vm.png>
> <estebans-vm.png>
> <included-vm.png>

Re: Call for All-in-One help

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:33:41PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> What's the status of the VM builds for Windows and Mac? IIRC the original
> planned release date was december and later was changed to january.
> What's the status of Cog VMs? It would be nice to include those too.

Estaban is building both the standard and Cog VMs for Mac. I expect
that we'll hear from Andreas shortly r.e. Windows. Cog for Linux
expect will come from Eliot (there are good versions already in
circulation).

Be patient for another week or two, and sorry for the delays. A
special note of appreciation is due to Esteban for taking on the
Mac VM responsibilities and of course to Eliot for creating the
new Cog VM.

Dave

Re: Call for All-in-One help

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 12:53:21PM -0800, Simon Michael wrote:

> Other notes about Esteban's VM:
>
> - it's got "Pharo" in the version string.

That's OK. For historical reasons, #vmVersion indicates the image
from which the VM was generated. So this just means that Esteban
was using a Pharo image when generating the VM sources.

Dave