CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

Is it true that there is no CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

timrowledge

> On 06-07-2016, at 9:56 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Is it true that there is no CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Hmm, to my surprise that seems to be correct. I can’t even find source code for it in ancient scratch releases. I have trouble believing it doesn’t exist somewhere since actually running an original Mac Scratch does load a CameraPlugin. Since you’re working with John M, maybe asking him about where the code went would work...

tim
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Javier Diaz-Reinoso

No, I compiled the CameraPlugin for the MacOS VM 4.2.5beta2U in 20/Sep/2014, I send to David Lewis to post in the ftp site.

The VM is the older original interpreted VM, but I tested with the Cog VM, and works. I am appending the CameraPlugin.st for the image:

CameraPlugin.st.zip (3K) Download Attachment

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

timrowledge

> On 06-07-2016, at 10:22 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <CameraPlugin.st.zip>

That’s not the missing part Javier - it’s the mac os specific platform files that seem to be missing. Do you have platforms/Mac OS/plugins/CameraPlugin ?

tim
Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

A version of This CameraPlugin.st with some cosmetic changes seems to
be in the VMMaker package already.  As Tim wrote, the implementations
of CameraOpen(), CameraGetFrame(), etc. are not in the VM source as
Tim said.

 I tried to run the test code in the st file on 'Croquet Closure
Cog[Spur] VM [CoInterpreterPrimitives VMMaker.oscog-eem.1405] 5.0' but
it does not run (as expected).

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Javier Diaz-Reinoso

Is in the Scratch plugins :

http://squeakvm.org/~lewis/MacOS-test-Javier/

and I forget that also have the CameraPlugin.st

On Jul 6, 2016, at 12:34, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06-07-2016, at 10:22 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

<CameraPlugin.st.zip>

That’s not the missing part Javier - it’s the mac os specific platform files that seem to be missing. Do you have platforms/Mac OS/plugins/CameraPlugin ?

tim
Strange OpCodes: RCS: Read Card Sideways

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

timrowledge

> On 06-07-2016, at 10:40 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is in the Scratch plugins :
>
>> http://squeakvm.org/~lewis/MacOS-test-Javier/

That doesn’t appear to have the actual mac specific sources that implement calls like CameraClose, CameraExtent etc.

tim
Oxymorons: Exact estimate

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

It must work in some combinations...  I copied CameraPlugin.bundle to
the Resources of my Squeak 4.2.5beta1U, and when I try a few things,
"Smalltalk listLoadedModules" shows 'CameraPlugin' in the list.  But
still it fails with 'no camera'.

But http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchPluginSrc1.4.zip
has the source code.  I'll poke around it and see if I can make it
work.

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

timrowledge

> On 06-07-2016, at 11:13 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> But http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchPluginSrc1.4.zip
> has the source code.  I'll poke around it and see if I can make it
> work.

Unless I managed to delete the entire relevant directory from my copy (which I’ll admit isn’t impossible!) it doesn’t exist in that zip.

tim
"How many Slavers does it take to change a lightbulb?”
"Dunno. How susceptible are lightbulbs to telepathy?"

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Javier Diaz-Reinoso

I enclosing the C sources I have:

CameraPlugin.zip (14K) Download Attachment

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

timrowledge

> On 06-07-2016, at 11:48 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <CameraPlugin.zip>
Thank you! that’s the stuff.

tim
Useful random insult:- S  p  a  c  e  d   o  u  t .

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

Thanks.  It seems identical to code that is available on the MIT scratch site.

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

I might be doing something totally wrong... But here is a step I did
and got into an interesting situation:

Step 1:

- Get the source code.

git clone [hidden email]:OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git

- As suggested, run the updateSCCSVersions  script.

./scripts/updateSCCSVersions

- change directory to build.macos32x86/squeak.cog.spur and run mvm with -d.

cd build.macos32x86/squeak.cog.spur;  run mvm with -d.

This successfully creates an executable and bundles.  But I noticed
that bunch of files are taken from subdirectories under 'iOS', not
'Mac OS'.

Step 2:

To add the CameraPlugin source, copy the set of files (CameraPlugin.c
CameraPlugin.xcodeproj CameraPlugin_Prefix.pch English.lproj
Info.plist osxCameraOps.c sqCamera.h version.plist) into a new
directory: platforms/Mac OS/plugins/CameraPlugin, and add CameraPlugin
to plugins.ext.

- run mvm -d and it does not link osxCameraOps.c and linker fails.

- Then I noticed that other plugins are using the platform-specific
files from the 'iOS" directory.  I created CameraPlugin directory
under platforms/iOS/plugins and copy files.

- run mvm -d and it does not link osxCameraOps.c and now the build
process detects those files and produces a compile time error.

If I'm not mistaken, the build process is looking at the iOS platform
files.  Is this true?

Besides that the osxCameraOps.c uses QuickDraw functions but it seems
that they are not exposed anymore.  I would have to rewrite it.

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

johnmci

MAC OS is the legacy carbon platform.
The cocoa & iOS apps are built from the iOS tree.
There is no more carbon. Yes proper OS-X 10.7 onwards support is needed.

--
-- Yoshiki

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:55 PM, John McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> MAC OS is the legacy carbon platform.
> The cocoa & iOS apps are built from the iOS tree.
> There is no more carbon. Yes proper OS-X 10.7 onwards support is needed.

Good!  at least I'm on the right track.

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Besides that the osxCameraOps.c uses QuickDraw functions but it seems
> that they are not exposed anymore.  I would have to rewrite it.

I am making a bit of progress and writing a new primitives against
Apple's AVFoundation library, which promises better performance and
better control over settings.

I like:

- I can write Cocoa bindings in (at least) Objective-C so that calling
API is easier than using objc_msgSend().
- adding EXTRALIBS is isolated for each, so once I figure out that is
what to do, I can add bundle specific -framework, and it works.

-- Yoshiki

Re: CameraPlugin support for Mac OS?

Yoshiki Ohshima-3

My OS X/iOS CameraPlugin support code, based on Apples new
AVFoundation framework, is getting in shape.  There are some clean up
needed and need to figure out a way to add a better way to handle
camera parameters, and also I need to make a minor modification to
make it compatible with iOS, but the basics is working.  When I figure
out "how to contribute", I'll make a request.

http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/Squeak-MacOS-Camera.png

--
-- Yoshiki