Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Dale Henrichs
We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to leverage Metacello better than we are.

Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.

Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we can finish up over the internets....

Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.

In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some processes that we can start using.

At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...

Anyway let me know what you guys think.

BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email this morning:)

Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Johan Brichau-2
I would love to be there, but I am only arriving on monday (even after your GLASS 2.0 talk.. :-((

So, hopefully there will be some more time to catch up on this during the week!

Johan

On 29 Jul 2011, at 19:02, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to leverage Metacello better than we are.
>
> Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.
>
> Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we can finish up over the internets....
>
> Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.
>
> In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some processes that we can start using.
>
> At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...
>
> Anyway let me know what you guys think.
>
> BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email this morning:)
>
> Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Dale Henrichs
We'll have to find the time to talk ... I don't expect to resolve anything ... we need to explore the space and find some common ground to start from ...

Dale

| I would love to be there, but I am only arriving on monday (even
| after your GLASS 2.0 talk.. :-((
|
| So, hopefully there will be some more time to catch up on this during
| the week!
|
| Johan
|
| On 29 Jul 2011, at 19:02, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and
| > bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally
| > wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the
| > gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to
| > leverage Metacello better than we are.
| >
| > Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would
| > prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.
| >
| > Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to
| > get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we
| > can finish up over the internets....
| >
| > Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp
| > Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader
| > topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.
| >
| > In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some
| > processes that we can start using.
| >
| > At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues
| > are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...
| >
| > Anyway let me know what you guys think.
| >
| > BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email
| > this morning:)
| >
| > Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Tobias Pape
I'll be there about Sunday afternoon,
if you want me in :)

Best
        -Tobias

Am 2011-08-01 um 21:55 schrieb Johan Brichau:

> I would love to be there, but I am only arriving on monday (even after your GLASS 2.0 talk.. :-((
>
> So, hopefully there will be some more time to catch up on this during the week!
>
> Johan
>
> On 29 Jul 2011, at 19:02, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to leverage Metacello better than we are.
>>
>> Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.
>>
>> Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we can finish up over the internets....
>>
>> Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.
>>
>> In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some processes that we can start using.
>>
>> At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...
>>
>> Anyway let me know what you guys think.
>>
>> BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email this morning:)
>>
>> Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Dale Henrichs
I would like the conversation to go on all week long ... we'll have to have a way to get the group together to discuss ... we'll play it by ear:)

Dale

| Am 2011-08-01 um 21:55 schrieb Johan Brichau:
|
| > I would love to be there, but I am only arriving on monday (even
| > after your GLASS 2.0 talk.. :-((
| >
| > So, hopefully there will be some more time to catch up on this
| > during the week!
| >
| > Johan
| >
| > On 29 Jul 2011, at 19:02, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| >
| >> We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and
| >> bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally
| >> wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the
| >> gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to
| >> leverage Metacello better than we are.
| >>
| >> Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would
| >> prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.
| >>
| >> Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to
| >> get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we
| >> can finish up over the internets....
| >>
| >> Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp
| >> Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader
| >> topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.
| >>
| >> In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some
| >> processes that we can start using.
| >>
| >> At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues
| >> are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...
| >>
| >> Anyway let me know what you guys think.
| >>
| >> BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email
| >> this morning:)
| >>
| >> Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

NorbertHartl
I'll be in edinburgh from friday night on. And I'm interested in attending all gemstone/metacello/... sessions.

I'm just offline until ESUG (no internet above 2500 m altitude)

Norbert

Am 29.07.2011 um 19:02 schrieb Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:

> We need a better defined process for submitting improvements and bugfixes for GLASS. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the ways things are going. I have been and will be the gatekeeper for the "trunk", but I think that we should be able to leverage Metacello better than we are.
>
> Exactly what needs to be done is not as clear to me and I would prefer to talk the issues out over a whiteboard.
>
> Obviously with ESUG coming up, that would be the perfect time to get some face-time with you guys and get us to the point where we can finish up over the internets....
>
> Anyway, I'd like to plan on having these duscussions during Camp Smalltalk and actually open up the discussions to the broader topic of Collaboration with Metacello workshop.
>
> In the end I assume that we'll end up with some tools and some processes that we can start using.
>
> At this point in time it's more about finding out what the issues are that need to be solved and the set of possible solutions ...
>
> Anyway let me know what you guys think.
>
> BTW Norbert, I've been thinking about this long before my email this morning:)
>
> Dale

Re: Camp Smalltalk: GLASS collaboration summit?

Dale Henrichs
Let's look to gather at Camp Smalltalk and we'll discuss these things ...

If you haven't already seen the post[1], I've made a video and a one-click image for tODE. Since I think that tODE will be the basis of the next-generation of GemTools, we can consider adding Metacello collaboration support to tODE and carry on the continuing collaboration discussions on the tODE mailing list[2]

Dale

[1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/a-peek-at-tode/
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/tode_st