Can't file in project with SqueakMap code in it

Can't file in project with SqueakMap code in it

Mike O'Brien-5
        I filed out a project with a SqueakMap package in it
(in addition to my own code).  Attempting to file it into a
clean 3.8-6665 image fails.  The package in question is
XPMReadWriter, and after grinding a bit, I get a Debugger:

UndefinedObject(Object) >> doesNotUnderstand: #commentStamp:prior:

        The Compiler is trying to evaluate:

'XPMReadWriter commentStamp: ''<historical>'' prior: 0'

        XPMReadWriter isn't defined at this point.

        Is this a problem with the order in which Project files
are written?  It's just possible that I first loaded XPMReadWriter
before creating this project, then loaded it in again.  Would
this result in such a Project file?

        The problem was cured by manually loading the XPMReadWriter
SqueakMap package first, then filing in the Project.  That
worked fine.  I'm just trying to understand what happened.

        FWIW, though, when the project opened up, all of the
previously existing windows had bold-face font in all panes.
New windows were created using the correct font, however.
Weird.

Mike O'Brien

Re: Can't file in project with SqueakMap code in it

Mike O'Brien-5
>         Is this a problem with the order in which Project files
> are written?  It's just possible that I first loaded XPMReadWriter
> before creating this project, then loaded it in again.  Would
> this result in such a Project file?

        It's possible this is what happened.  I just tried
an experiment where I started with a clean image of 3.8-6665,
updated SqueakMap, created a new Project, entered it, loaded
XPMReadWriter, wrote out a Project file, then abandoned the image
and loaded the new Project file into a clean image with
an updated SqueakMap.  That project file loaded without error.
It looks like if you reload a class into an image that already
has the class defined, what goes into the changeSet won't
file in correctly to an image that's never seen the new
class before.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

        On my original image that gave rise to this problem,
I also got a popup about blocks playing with instance variables,
which I didn't understand even after browsing the debugger
that resulted.  Pointers as to what that's all about would be
appreciated: I couldn't even make enough sense of what it
was trying to tell me (the Debugger opened on methods deep
inside the squeak parser) to determine whether this was
related to the problem of filing in the Project file.

Mike O'Brien

Re: Can't file in project with SqueakMap code in it

Mike O'Brien-5
> It looks like if you reload a class into an image that already
                                              ^^^^^
> has the class defined, what goes into the changeSet won't
> file in correctly to an image that's never seen the new
> class before.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

SHOULD READ:

> It looks like if you reload a class into a Project that already
                                             ^^^^^^^
> has the class defined, what goes into the changeSet won't
> file in correctly to an image that's never seen the new
> class before.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Re: Can't file in project with SqueakMap code in it

Klaus D. Witzel
Mike, thank you for sharing this experience. In another world at another
time I'm investigating the dont's and do's of the (most likely rotten)
interplay between the classic "changes" mechanism and SqMap and MC. You
experience made it onto my toDo list, thank you.

/Klaus