Can we beat 'Processing'?

timrowledge
The Pi just got ‘Processing’. I haven’t looked hard at it but it does look fairly simple stuff. I’m pretty sure we could provide something better - which is partly why I’ve been looking at B2D & B3D stuff.

Take a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/now-available-for-download-processing/ for an idea of what it’s about.

tim
Oxymorons: Military Intelligence

Re: Can we beat 'Processing'?

marcel.taeumel
Squeak got PhidgetLab :)
http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/phidgetlab/

What do you have in mind?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Can we beat 'Processing'?

timrowledge

> On 17-11-2015, at 12:05 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Squeak got PhidgetLab :)
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/phidgetlab/

Very cool stuff. It would be nice to get that going on a Pi and use the gpio pins instead of the usb (or rather ‘as well as’ since the Pimoroni Flotilla system is just about to start shipping and is usb connected)

There’s also the direct graphical stuff. It seems to be a bit ‘trivial workspace code’ (so we could offer some nicely wrapped easy to use interface) and a bit like the fabulous old MathMorphs & graphing that Leandro(?) did years ago. There’s a lot of neat sound stuff - both as a SonicPi beater and something usable within other apps

The basic issue here is that there is a lot of cool educational stuff that has been done in Squeak that gets little exposure and really could make for some interesting Pi applications. Many of these would obviously work on other platforms as well, but the Pi is a big gorilla in edu for now, so let’s make use of it. More kids exposed to what you can do in a Smalltalk system means more youngsters growing up not accepting C/java/rubbish. Means more possible students for HPI and École des Mines and so on. Means more secure teaching jobs for you :-)

tim
Useful random insult:- Thinks everyone else is entitled to his opinion, like it or not.

Re: Can we beat 'Processing'?

Karl Ramberg
It would be cool to have a simplified Workspace like scripting environment for starting users. Maybe a scoped browser.

I have used various tile scripting systems and find that text is much superior when making anything  more than simple toy projects.

Karl

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:33 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17-11-2015, at 12:05 PM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Squeak got PhidgetLab :)
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/phidgetlab/

Very cool stuff. It would be nice to get that going on a Pi and use the gpio pins instead of the usb (or rather ‘as well as’ since the Pimoroni Flotilla system is just about to start shipping and is usb connected)

There’s also the direct graphical stuff. It seems to be a bit ‘trivial workspace code’ (so we could offer some nicely wrapped easy to use interface) and a bit like the fabulous old MathMorphs & graphing that Leandro(?) did years ago. There’s a lot of neat sound stuff - both as a SonicPi beater and something usable within other apps

The basic issue here is that there is a lot of cool educational stuff that has been done in Squeak that gets little exposure and really could make for some interesting Pi applications. Many of these would obviously work on other platforms as well, but the Pi is a big gorilla in edu for now, so let’s make use of it. More kids exposed to what you can do in a Smalltalk system means more youngsters growing up not accepting C/java/rubbish. Means more possible students for HPI and École des Mines and so on. Means more secure teaching jobs for you :-)

tim
Useful random insult:- Thinks everyone else is entitled to his opinion, like it or not.

Re: Can we beat 'Processing'?

Casey Ransberger-2
Replied late to this thread and tl;dr (sorry) but linguistically we can send Processing back to the Stone Age.

It occupies an interesting middle-ground: folks, a lot of them artists, who are maybe too old for e.g. Scratch, making stuff to run on Arduinos, etc.

We suck at real-time mainly because GC and the operating systems we run over which are busy with multi-user pre-emptive multitasking and virtual memory when there's only ever one user and plenty of RAM, etc, but most people doing Processing aren't liable to be using the micro controllers for real time applications anyway. It's just a conveniently C-like curly braced language that compiles down to Amtel machine code. I guess ARM now too.

It seems like the answer to your question is simply "lead a popularity contest and win." The longer explanation is most likely "for all but seriously real-time apps, yes" but that's not the whole game. Most of the game isn't real-time, and we (in the longer term) should be able to improve and extend the Slang system to deal with realtime issues in machine code while the VM just sleeps.

So, I guess I'm saying: in the long game, I think yeah.

--C

--
tim Rowledge; <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;tim@rowledge.org&#39;)">tim@...; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Oxymorons: Military Intelligence

Re: Can we beat 'Processing'?

dcorking
marcel.taeumel  wrote:
> Squeak got PhidgetLab :)
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/phidgetlab/

Is Physical Etoys is another candidate to port to Pi's GPIO pins?

http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/

--
David Corking
Freelance Rubyist

"debug a program into existence" David Ungar, 1986