Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

cedreek
Is it possible to use lulu.com or equivalent to print free books
available in Stephane's site
(http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/).

I see two limits (especially the first one):

- licence and copyright issues - These books are not really free as
SBE for instance,
- I don't know if scanned pages will look nice...

Thanks

Cédrick

ps:  I wouldn't mind paying an extra amount for original authors...

2008/4/8, Victor Rodriguez <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:47 AM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Does someone know if there are online service to print it as a book
>  >  (as lulu.com for squeak by example). I imagine, this is not possible
>  >  to open the same kind of account as SBE because of ACM copyright. So
>  >  if someone know an equivalent service for one book / one pdf, I'm
>  >  interested.
>

> Back in 2006 I thought about the same thing: using lulu.com to print
>  some of the books kindly made available by Prof. Ducasse.  I asked
>  lulu.com and the following excerpt summarizes the response:
>
>  "... The Lulu membership agreement runs on trust, mostly; and this
>  means that if you say you have the rights ( in the ownership sense ),
>  and / or the right  ( in a moral sense ) to publish this work, then we
>  believe you...."
>
>  My idea was to "privately publish" a book and just order one copy for
>  myself.  At the end, I did not actually print anything, and lulu.com
>  might have changed their policy since, so better ask again (and please
>  report back!).
>
>  Saludos,
>

>  Victor Rodriguez.
>

>  >  Last point, will this book become available for free one day (as there
>  >  is nearly no possibility to buy it) ?
>  >
>  >  Cédrick
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >

Re: Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

onierstrasz

Hi, Cédrick,

You can print anything with Lulu.  Just make it a private project and
print copies for yourself.

I have done this already for another book that I cannot yet release
publicly.

The real problem will be with the PDFs, as Lulu requites that all
fonts be embedded. You may have to do some work to substitute non-
embedded fonts.

I suggest you just go ahead and try it.  As long as you are not
selling the books publicly there is no copyright issue, I think.

-on

On Apr 8, 2008, at 14:59, cdrick wrote:

> Is it possible to use lulu.com or equivalent to print free books
> available in Stephane's site
> (http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/).
>
> I see two limits (especially the first one):
>
> - licence and copyright issues - These books are not really free as
> SBE for instance,
> - I don't know if scanned pages will look nice...
>
> Thanks
>
> Cédrick
>
> ps:  I wouldn't mind paying an extra amount for original authors...
>
> 2008/4/8, Victor Rodriguez <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:47 AM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Does someone know if there are online service to print it as a book
>>> (as lulu.com for squeak by example). I imagine, this is not possible
>>> to open the same kind of account as SBE because of ACM copyright. So
>>> if someone know an equivalent service for one book / one pdf, I'm
>>> interested.
>>

>> Back in 2006 I thought about the same thing: using lulu.com to print
>> some of the books kindly made available by Prof. Ducasse.  I asked
>> lulu.com and the following excerpt summarizes the response:
>>
>> "... The Lulu membership agreement runs on trust, mostly; and this
>> means that if you say you have the rights ( in the ownership sense ),
>> and / or the right  ( in a moral sense ) to publish this work, then
>> we
>> believe you...."
>>
>> My idea was to "privately publish" a book and just order one copy for
>> myself.  At the end, I did not actually print anything, and lulu.com
>> might have changed their policy since, so better ask again (and
>> please
>> report back!).
>>
>> Saludos,
>>

>> Victor Rodriguez.
>>

>>> Last point, will this book become available for free one day (as
>>> there
>>> is nearly no possibility to buy it) ?
>>>
>>> Cédrick

Re: Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

cedreek
Hi Oscar,

2008/4/9, Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]>:

>  Hi, Cédrick,
>
>  You can print anything with Lulu.  Just make it a private project and print
> copies for yourself.

ok, this is cool...

>  I have done this already for another book that I cannot yet release
> publicly.
>
>  The real problem will be with the PDFs, as Lulu requites that all fonts be
> embedded. You may have to do some work to substitute non-embedded fonts.

So I imagine this is simply not possible for scanned books.

>  I suggest you just go ahead and try it.  As long as you are not selling the
> books publicly there is no copyright issue, I think.

ok as far as it's private... ;)   good to know.

but what about beeing a little more public, just for out of print book.

So for books where it's possible (pdf with fonts included) on
Stephane's page, we could add a link to Lulu...

This could also, be a small funding source for ESUG or squeak
fundation, I don't know...  Issue here is probably the legal one...
and I have no clue on that ! In other words, does the fact that
original authors allowed online publication would allow
lulu-printing... ? I guess it's not that simple...

Thanks anyway,

Cédrick

ps: BTW, I finally got a real copy of the blue book... as Ian kindly
proposed me to be the intermediate... :))

>  -on
>

>  On Apr 8, 2008, at 14:59, cdrick wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use lulu.com or equivalent to print free books
> > available in Stephane's site
> > (http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/).
> >
> > I see two limits (especially the first one):
> >
> > - licence and copyright issues - These books are not really free as
> > SBE for instance,
> > - I don't know if scanned pages will look nice...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Cédrick
> >
> > ps:  I wouldn't mind paying an extra amount for original authors...

> > > Back in 2006 I thought about the same thing: using lulu.com to print
> > > some of the books kindly made available by Prof. Ducasse.  I asked
> > > lulu.com and the following excerpt summarizes the response:
> > >
> > > "... The Lulu membership agreement runs on trust, mostly; and this
> > > means that if you say you have the rights ( in the ownership sense ),
> > > and / or the right  ( in a moral sense ) to publish this work, then we
> > > believe you...."
> > >
> > > My idea was to "privately publish" a book and just order one copy for
> > > myself.  At the end, I did not actually print anything, and lulu.com
> > > might have changed their policy since, so better ask again (and please
> > > report back!).
> > >
> > > Saludos,
> > >

> > > Victor Rodriguez.

Re: Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

Damien Cassou-3
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >  The real problem will be with the PDFs, as Lulu requites that all fonts be
>  > embedded. You may have to do some work to substitute non-embedded fonts.
>
>  So I imagine this is simply not possible for scanned books.

I would have say exactly the opposite: since it is a printed book,
there is no font used at all. Nothing to embedded then :-).

--
Damien Cassou
Peter von der Ahé: «I'm beginning to see why Gilad wished us good

Re: Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

onierstrasz

Exactly.

That was the solution I had to adopt for some figures in the OORP book
that we will be releasing soon on Lulu.  Some figures I had only as
PDF with unembeddable fonts.  So I converted them to png and the
problem was solved.

Purely scanned books should pose no problem for Lulu.

- on