Candidate platforms?

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Dear SqF board candidates.

While we know all of you to some extent (some more than others), we dont
know you as elected representatives. If you can write a few words about
what goals the board should accomplish, and how you're going to help
those happen, it would be helpful for at least this Squeaker in his
difficult decisions ahead...

Daniel Vainsencher

Re: Candidate platforms?

stéphane ducasse-2
> Dear SqF board candidates.
>
> While we know all of you to some extent (some more than others), we
> dont know you as elected representatives. If you can write a few
> words about what goals the board should accomplish, and how you're
> going to help those happen, it would be helpful for at least this
> Squeaker in his difficult decisions ahead...
>
> Daniel Vainsencher

Sure! This is the right moment to ask!

Here is what I would like to see done: (I took basically what we
wrote on the squeakfoundation web site long time ago).

- create an independent legal entity to which companies and
individuals can donate resources and be assured that those resources
will be used for the public benefit; this entity should be the
representative of the community for
legal actions (such as the crypto package registration or
participation to Google Summer of code actions).
- provide a means for individual volunteers to be sheltered from
legal suits directed at the Foundation's projects;
- protect the 'Squeak' brand, as applied to its software products,
from being abused by other organizations;
- enable the communication between all the projects related to Squeak
such as tweak, croquet, etoy, smallland...;
        (this is why I'm ***really*** happy to get yo and bert as candidates
because they represent a bit tweak, croquet and squeakland)
        I'm really pleased to see the smallland anf squeakland fixes
retrofitted in 3.9
- support the promotion of Squeak media (video, books, presentations);
        (I would really like to see how we can help the book of diego
translated in english or french but I do not read spanish)
- support educators, developers, teachers to achieve their dream
around Squeak.
- make squeak really sexy and fun for educators, developers...

These were the simple goals we set up with marcus when we started
- having a better web site (done)
- having a way to promote some changes (for example using a bounty
mechanism)
- supporting the fixes harvesting and enhancements
- supporting people to write books, CD/DVD, tutorials
- supporting people making presentations of Squeak
- supporting the development of architectural tools that all the
community will benefit from (enhancing Monticello, Squeaksource for now)

Once we will have done that. We will be done :)

Re: Candidate platforms?

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Thanks Stef!

Anyone else? I realize most of the candidates don't have a webpage with
all this prepared beforehand... but short statement of your intentions
would still be useful.

Daniel

stéphane ducasse wrote:

>> Dear SqF board candidates.
>>
>> While we know all of you to some extent (some more than others), we
>> dont know you as elected representatives. If you can write a few
>> words about what goals the board should accomplish, and how you're
>> going to help those happen, it would be helpful for at least this
>> Squeaker in his difficult decisions ahead...
>>
>> Daniel Vainsencher
>

> Sure! This is the right moment to ask!
>
> Here is what I would like to see done: (I took basically what we
> wrote on the squeakfoundation web site long time ago).
>
> - create an independent legal entity to which companies and
> individuals can donate resources and be assured that those resources
> will be used for the public benefit; this entity should be the
> representative of the community for
> legal actions (such as the crypto package registration or
> participation to Google Summer of code actions).
> - provide a means for individual volunteers to be sheltered from
> legal suits directed at the Foundation's projects;
> - protect the 'Squeak' brand, as applied to its software products,
> from being abused by other organizations;
> - enable the communication between all the projects related to Squeak
> such as tweak, croquet, etoy, smallland...;
>     (this is why I'm ***really*** happy to get yo and bert as
> candidates  because they represent a bit tweak, croquet and squeakland)
>     I'm really pleased to see the smallland anf squeakland fixes
> retrofitted in 3.9
> - support the promotion of Squeak media (video, books, presentations);
>     (I would really like to see how we can help the book of diego
> translated in english or french but I do not read spanish)
> - support educators, developers, teachers to achieve their dream
> around Squeak.
> - make squeak really sexy and fun for educators, developers...
>
> These were the simple goals we set up with marcus when we started
> - having a better web site (done)
> - having a way to promote some changes (for example using a bounty
> mechanism)
> - supporting the fixes harvesting and enhancements
> - supporting people to write books, CD/DVD, tutorials
> - supporting people making presentations of Squeak
> - supporting the development of architectural tools that all the
> community will benefit from (enhancing Monticello, Squeaksource for now)
>
> Once we will have done that. We will be done :)
>
> Stef

re: Candidate platforms?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Daniel--

        There are a few candidate statements at what seems to be the nominal
place for them for this election[1].

        thanks,

-C

[1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/53.html

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Candidate platforms?

Daniel Vainsencher-2
That's true, we have statements from you, Noury, Tim, Peter, Stef, Cees.

So AFAICT, we're missing Ken, Marcus, Bert and Yoshiki.

Any of you guys care to give a platform? putting them on discussed link
might be a good idea.

Daniel

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Daniel--
>
>     There are a few candidate statements at what seems to be the
> nominal place for them for this election[1].
>

>     thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/53.html

An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

Tansel Ersavas
For those who may be interested

This is an interesting multi-touch capable screen demo. Great for
gestures, etc. Also would be interesting to see how such an idea could
be utilized in Croquet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-y3ZNaCqs

Another cool thing that could be utilized as Croquet input is the
SpacePad. There are a few other things in the market but this seems to
be a reasonable system for experimentation. I am currently assisting a
project where motion capture is a big part so have been looking into
many mo-cap systems. Most of them are prohibitively expensive. This is
not a mo-cap system but can be used as a VR input system.

http://www.ascension-tech.com/products/spacepad.php
Also an interesting group of 3D dwellers are growing in a virtual
environment called second life. I am sure Croquet guys are aware but
just in case anyone is missing it is an environment worth checking out.

http://www.secondlife.com

Tansel

Re: Candidate platforms?

stéphane ducasse-2
I think that what I said counts also for marcus since we wrote the
page together.
But he can add a note.

Stef

On 21 févr. 06, at 07:04, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> That's true, we have statements from you, Noury, Tim, Peter, Stef,
> Cees.
>
> So AFAICT, we're missing Ken, Marcus, Bert and Yoshiki.
>
> Any of you guys care to give a platform? putting them on discussed
> link might be a good idea.
>
> Daniel
>
> Craig Latta wrote:
>

>> Hi Daniel--
>>
>>     There are a few candidate statements at what seems to be the
>> nominal place for them for this election[1].
>>

>>     thanks,
>>
>> -C
>>
>> [1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/53.html

Re: An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

stéphane ducasse-2
soon I hope we will get the same screens as the one in minority
report :)
Thanks for the links.

On 21 févr. 06, at 08:26, Tansel Ersavas wrote:

> For those who may be interested
>
> This is an interesting multi-touch capable screen demo. Great for
> gestures, etc. Also would be interesting to see how such an idea
> could be utilized in Croquet.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-y3ZNaCqs
>
> Another cool thing that could be utilized as Croquet input is the
> SpacePad. There are a few other things in the market but this seems
> to be a reasonable system for experimentation. I am currently
> assisting a project where motion capture is a big part so have been
> looking into many mo-cap systems. Most of them are prohibitively
> expensive. This is not a mo-cap system but can be used as a VR
> input system.
>
> http://www.ascension-tech.com/products/spacepad.php
> Also an interesting group of 3D dwellers are growing in a virtual
> environment called second life. I am sure Croquet guys are aware
> but just in case anyone is missing it is an environment worth
> checking out.
>
> http://www.secondlife.com
>

> Tansel

Re: An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

Blake-5
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:28:44 -0800, stéphane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> soon I hope we will get the same screens as the one in minority report :)

No way.

All that overacting?

I'd throw out my shoulder moving those screens around.

Re: An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Blake wrote on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:30:34 -0800

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:28:44 -0800, stéphane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > soon I hope we will get the same screens as the one in minority report :)
>
> No way.
>
> All that overacting?
>
> I'd throw out my shoulder moving those screens around.

Actually, you might find the quick, small gestures to be more of a
problem. We could replace those with voice input and have something
nobody had ever thought of before!

http://www.media.mit.edu/speech/papers/1980/bolt_SIGGRAPH80_put-that-the
re.pdf
http://www.media.mit.edu/speech/sig_videos.html

-- Jecel
P.S.: it is still Alan Kay's job to point out that everything was
already done in the 1960s. I will limit myself to the late 1970s at the
earliest until he retires ;-)

Re: Candidate platforms?

Marcus Denker

On 21.02.2006, at 09:50, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> I think that what I said counts also for marcus since we wrote the
> page together.
> But he can add a note.

Yes, indeed the list is quite complete... what I would likee to
stress again (you mentioned
it already): Coordination and communication.

I would like to see the projects / people that use Squeak to work
together, share their accomplishments
and have fun building a great system...

My personal view of Squeak is that it should be "the System to build
the next System with". I don't
know what that system of the future will look like, but I am sure we
can move one step
towards this system by making Squeak simpler to understand, easier to
modify and extend... better
meta-models, more late binding, better infrastructure, better tools,
a cleaner code base, modularity,
evolvability....

Ah, and in the subject there was the word platform: I would like
Squeak to be a platform, a basis for
many very different projects.

     Marcus

Re: An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

Jon Hylands
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:26:22 +1100, Tansel Ersavas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also an interesting group of 3D dwellers are growing in a virtual
> environment called second life. I am sure Croquet guys are aware but
> just in case anyone is missing it is an environment worth checking out.

I've been playing in SL for almost a year now, and its a fascinating place.
I build and sell flying vehicles in there, which involves a lot of
scripting.

One of the technologies they are planning to transition to is using Mono as
the next VM for the scripting engine. Interesting, Mono is an open source
implementation of the .NET universal VM, which will allow people in SL to
eventually script in whatever language they are comfortable with, including
Smalltalk...

If anyone from here does manage to make it into SL, look me up -- my user
name in there is Jon Marlin.

Later,
Jon
   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com

Re: An interesting input technology and a Croquet like environment

Markus Gälli-3

On Feb 21, 2006, at 10:28 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> soon I hope we will get the same screens as the one in minority
> report :)
> Thanks for the links.

Just read about the monitor:

"The drafting table style implementation shown here measures 36"x27",
is rear-projected, and has a sensing resolution of better than 0.1"
at 50Hz. Stroke event information is sent to applications using the
lightweight OSC protocol over UDP."

Hey, we have an OSC-Client and Server for Squeak! :-) So it shouldn't
be too hard to connect to that one...

http://www.opensoundcontrol.org/node/74

Cheers,

Markus