Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

12

Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-3
Hi, if I enter anything into the Search box on the "Versions" tab of a
project on SS3, it always produces 0 results.

Searching for Projects does not work either but it seems to hang the
browser rather than producing no results.

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-3
> Searching for Projects does not work either but it seems to hang the
> browser rather than producing no results.

Ok, right after I hit send, the search for Projects came back.  It
took > 60 seconds.

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

Non-optimized search is one of the "features" of the Alpha status of ss3.

One of these days I will find the time to optimize the project search among other things .... In the past when my time has opened up, either Tobias didn't have time available or it looked like SmalltalkHub would come online ...

Ah well, I suppose the quickest way to get SmalltalkHub to come online is for me to start work on ss3:)

Dale

| > Searching for Projects does not work either but it seems to hang
| > the
| > browser rather than producing no results.
|
| Ok, right after I hit send, the search for Projects came back.  It
| took > 60 seconds.

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-3
Dale, will SS3 still be supported even after SmalltalkHub comes on-line?

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Non-optimized search is one of the "features" of the Alpha status of ss3.
>
> One of these days I will find the time to optimize the project search among other things .... In the past when my time has opened up, either Tobias didn't have time available or it looked like SmalltalkHub would come online ...
>
> Ah well, I suppose the quickest way to get SmalltalkHub to come online is for me to start work on ss3:)
>
> Dale

Absolutely! ss3 will be supported "forever".

SS3 was put into production with alpha code. When ss3 was initially put on-line, the expectation was that we'd nuke the repository after getting feedback and identifying and fixing issues (there were a number of issues) ... I had also allocated time during that summer for bringing SS3 up-to-speed ... after some discussion with the parties involved, it was decided to hold off on ss3 development in favor of SmalltalkHub and the window for my time passed ... then SmalltalkHub was delayed and the decision was made to bring ss3 on-line as-is ... I again allocated time for bringing ss3 up to speed, but then Tobias was busy with his PHD and the window was missed again ...

Tobias has since finished a significant amount of development work of SqueakSource3 and I am the bottleneck for getting his bugfixes into production ...

SqueakSource3 does not have a robust test suite, so it is very time consuming to push a new version of SqueakSource3 into production ... weeks instead of days ... I am very worried about introducing new bugs into production ... the ones that are there are relatively benign:) ...

Dale

| Dale, will SS3 still be supported even after SmalltalkHub comes
| on-line?
|
| On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
| > Chris,
| >
| > Non-optimized search is one of the "features" of the Alpha status
| > of ss3.
| >
| > One of these days I will find the time to optimize the project
| > search among other things .... In the past when my time has opened
| > up, either Tobias didn't have time available or it looked like
| > SmalltalkHub would come online ...
| >
| > Ah well, I suppose the quickest way to get SmalltalkHub to come
| > online is for me to start work on ss3:)
| >
| > Dale

| > |

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

One other point that may not be clear ...

I am not the developer/maintainer of SqueakSource3 ... I administer the ss3 site.

I don't have the cycles to take on the ongoing development of SqueakSource3 and rely on other developers for that ...

So when I say that ss3 will be supported "forever" I am talking about keeping the site operational "forever", not about fixing bugs and adding new features to SqueakSource3 ... someone else has to take on that job ....

Dale

| Dale, will SS3 still be supported even after SmalltalkHub comes
| on-line?
|
| On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| wrote:
| > Chris,
| >
| > Non-optimized search is one of the "features" of the Alpha status
| > of ss3.
| >
| > One of these days I will find the time to optimize the project
| > search among other things .... In the past when my time has opened
| > up, either Tobias didn't have time available or it looked like
| > SmalltalkHub would come online ...
| >
| > Ah well, I suppose the quickest way to get SmalltalkHub to come
| > online is for me to start work on ss3:)
| >
| > Dale

| > |

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

Where _do_ I spend my cycles? (you may ask)

Working on opening up git/github to smalltalkers.

github has over 1,000,000 users and 100+ folks work at github maintaining and developing the site ... How many full-time developers are there for SqueakSource3 or SmalltalkHub?

Besides that, in my opinion, the combination of git/github is superior to anything we have.

Finally, I believe that if and when the Smalltalk community adapts to git/github, Smalltalk as a development environment will become much more accessible to developers in general which can only be a good thing...

Dale

| One other point that may not be clear ...
|
| I am not the developer/maintainer of SqueakSource3 ... I administer
| the ss3 site.
|
| I don't have the cycles to take on the ongoing development of
| SqueakSource3 and rely on other developers for that ...
|
| So when I say that ss3 will be supported "forever" I am talking about
| keeping the site operational "forever", not about fixing bugs and
| adding new features to SqueakSource3 ... someone else has to take on
| that job ....
|
| Dale

| |
| | Dale, will SS3 still be supported even after SmalltalkHub comes
| | on-line?
| |
| | On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
| | wrote:
| | > Chris,
| | >
| | > Non-optimized search is one of the "features" of the Alpha status
| | > of ss3.
| | >
| | > One of these days I will find the time to optimize the project
| | > search among other things .... In the past when my time has
| | > opened
| | > up, either Tobias didn't have time available or it looked like
| | > SmalltalkHub would come online ...
| | >
| | > Ah well, I suppose the quickest way to get SmalltalkHub to come
| | > online is for me to start work on ss3:)
| | >
| | > Dale

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Frank Shearar-3
On 3 January 2013 16:52, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Where _do_ I spend my cycles? (you may ask)
>
> Working on opening up git/github to smalltalkers.
>
> github has over 1,000,000 users and 100+ folks work at github maintaining and developing the site ... How many full-time developers are there for SqueakSource3 or SmalltalkHub?
>
> Besides that, in my opinion, the combination of git/github is superior to anything we have.
>
> Finally, I believe that if and when the Smalltalk community adapts to git/github, Smalltalk as a development environment will become much more accessible to developers in general which can only be a good thing...

It's worth reminding people that filetree works just great as a
Monticello back end (and does so right now). When you're developing,
you're unaware that there's file system swizzling to a git repository.
And if you use Dale's builderCI version, you can hook up to Travis CI
and get continuous integration for free.

Gitocello too works great: the tradeoff is that filetree versions
semantic units while Gitocell versions chunk-format fileouts.

frank

> Dale

The two current challenges at the moment are Metacello/git integration and in-image support for git operations.

The Metacello Preview represents my current take on integrating Metacello and git/github ... I like most of what I have, but there are a few things that I'm not happy with and that will need work before it's ready for primetime...

There has been work done by Max Leske and Camillo Bruni to provide a FileSystem-based access to git, but I haven't had the time to play with this yet ...

At this point in time, things are usable by pioneers who are willing to put up with a few hardships:)

Dale

| On 3 January 2013 16:52, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Chris,
| >
| > Where _do_ I spend my cycles? (you may ask)
| >
| > Working on opening up git/github to smalltalkers.
| >
| > github has over 1,000,000 users and 100+ folks work at github
| > maintaining and developing the site ... How many full-time
| > developers are there for SqueakSource3 or SmalltalkHub?
| >
| > Besides that, in my opinion, the combination of git/github is
| > superior to anything we have.
| >
| > Finally, I believe that if and when the Smalltalk community adapts
| > to git/github, Smalltalk as a development environment will become
| > much more accessible to developers in general which can only be a
| > good thing...
|
| It's worth reminding people that filetree works just great as a
| Monticello back end (and does so right now). When you're developing,
| you're unaware that there's file system swizzling to a git
| repository.
| And if you use Dale's builderCI version, you can hook up to Travis CI
| and get continuous integration for free.
|
| Gitocello too works great: the tradeoff is that filetree versions
| semantic units while Gitocell versions chunk-format fileouts.
|
| frank
|
| > Dale

| > |
| > | Chris,
| > |
| > | One other point that may not be clear ...
| > |
| > | I am not the developer/maintainer of SqueakSource3 ... I
| > | administer
| > | the ss3 site.
| > |
| > | I don't have the cycles to take on the ongoing development of
| > | SqueakSource3 and rely on other developers for that ...
| > |
| > | So when I say that ss3 will be supported "forever" I am talking
| > | about
| > | keeping the site operational "forever", not about fixing bugs and
| > | adding new features to SqueakSource3 ... someone else has to take
| > | on
| > | that job ....
| > |
| > | Dale
| > |
| > | |
| > | |

| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > | | > |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-3
Thanks Dale.  I'm looking forward to when your work is ready for
primetime.  1M users means nothing to me (how else could we use
Smalltalk if it did?), but some of the functionality; the idea of
being able to fork anyone's work and cherry-pick from other forks,
etc. as well as the server-continuity all sounds really great.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The two current challenges at the moment are Metacello/git integration and in-image support for git operations.
>
> The Metacello Preview represents my current take on integrating Metacello and git/github ... I like most of what I have, but there are a few things that I'm not happy with and that will need work before it's ready for primetime...
>
> There has been work done by Max Leske and Camillo Bruni to provide a FileSystem-based access to git, but I haven't had the time to play with this yet ...
>
> At this point in time, things are usable by pioneers who are willing to put up with a few hardships:)
>
> Dale

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/3/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Dale.  I'm looking forward to when your work is ready for
> primetime.  1M users means nothing to me (how else could we use
> Smalltalk if it did?),

The number as such is of some significance that we can expose our work
to a large audience.

Smalltalk is no 46 on the github languages list.

https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

Otherwise I agree with you.

> but some of the functionality; the idea of
> being able to fork anyone's work and cherry-pick from other forks,
> etc. as well as the server-continuity all sounds really great.

Actually Monticello works fine locally but the infrastructure at the
moment is weak.

www.squeaksource.com cannot accept new projects.

ss3 is alpha and Dale does not have time.

Smalltalkhub does not have enough people to work on it.

No RESTful URL's

If we want to focus on e.g. making Etoys unlodable, Environments,
Altitude etc we need to rely on well supported source code management.

And for example SqueakMap is still a good project but support is weak as well.
Goran is around from time to time and has an interest in doing
something but in the end he does is very small.

And Chris, you wrote that you want to work on it in 2013. This is great news.

I assume SqueakMap probably does not need much more investment to
become very useful
tool again. In particular in connection with github.

We could actually store just plain *.mcz files there as well. Not
fully the intended use of github but probably a step in a smooth
transition for Squeak programmers.

And then start using FileTree of course.

--Hannes

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The two current challenges at the moment are Metacello/git integration and
>> in-image support for git operations.
>>
>> The Metacello Preview represents my current take on integrating Metacello
>> and git/github ... I like most of what I have, but there are a few things
>> that I'm not happy with and that will need work before it's ready for
>> primetime...
>>
>> There has been work done by Max Leske and Camillo Bruni to provide a
>> FileSystem-based access to git, but I haven't had the time to play with
>> this yet ...
>>
>> At this point in time, things are usable by pioneers who are willing to
>> put up with a few hardships:)
>>
>> Dale

Tobias Pape
Hey Hannes

Am 03.01.2013 um 21:05 schrieb H. Hirzel:

> On 1/3/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Dale.  I'm looking forward to when your work is ready for
>> primetime.  1M users means nothing to me (how else could we use
>> Smalltalk if it did?),
>
> The number as such is of some significance that we can expose our work
> to a large audience.
>
> Smalltalk is no 46 on the github languages list.
>
> https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
>
> Otherwise I agree with you.
>

>> but some of the functionality; the idea of
>> being able to fork anyone's work and cherry-pick from other forks,
>> etc. as well as the server-continuity all sounds really great.
>
> Actually Monticello works fine locally but the infrastructure at the
> moment is weak.
>
> www.squeaksource.com cannot accept new projects.
>
> ss3 is alpha and Dale does not have time.

Well, I'd consider it already Beta, if not Release candidate…

> Smalltalkhub does not have enough people to work on it.
>
> No RESTful URL's

Not true for ss3.
They might not be as full-fledget REST as other
Products out there, but usable.

Best
        -Tobias

> If we want to focus on e.g. making Etoys unlodable, Environments,
> Altitude etc we need to rely on well supported source code management.
>
> And for example SqueakMap is still a good project but support is weak as well.
> Goran is around from time to time and has an interest in doing
> something but in the end he does is very small.
>
> And Chris, you wrote that you want to work on it in 2013. This is great news.
>
> I assume SqueakMap probably does not need much more investment to
> become very useful
> tool again. In particular in connection with github.
>
> We could actually store just plain *.mcz files there as well. Not
> fully the intended use of github but probably a step in a smooth
> transition for Squeak programmers.
>
> And then start using FileTree of course.
>

> --Hannes
>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The two current challenges at the moment are Metacello/git integration and
>>> in-image support for git operations.
>>>
>>> The Metacello Preview represents my current take on integrating Metacello
>>> and git/github ... I like most of what I have, but there are a few things
>>> that I'm not happy with and that will need work before it's ready for
>>> primetime...
>>>
>>> There has been work done by Max Leske and Camillo Bruni to provide a
>>> FileSystem-based access to git, but I haven't had the time to play with
>>> this yet ...
>>>
>>> At this point in time, things are usable by pioneers who are willing to
>>> put up with a few hardships:)
>>>
>>> Dale

Hallo Tobias

Thank you for pointing out that SS3 is RESTful.

Yes maybe.

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=GkYcadVJYXsxRUx8

for example goes to
   XMLSupport

I copied the url from Firefox to IE and the same page showed up.

And as it has over 500 members and 600 projects and has been running
the core functions for storing code are surely not alpha. I assume it
is labeled like that because for example sorting according to number
of downloads does not work.

Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).

BTW I wonder how the XML support

http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=2fxilRwF4cj8z-TI

relates to what we have in Squeak 4.4 and Pharo 2.0.

And the URL this time is different, So I wonder where the RESTful URLs are.

Kind regards
--Hannes

Am 03.01.2013 um 22:32 schrieb H. Hirzel:

> Hallo Tobias
>
> Thank you for pointing out that SS3 is RESTful.
>
> Yes maybe.
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=GkYcadVJYXsxRUx8
>
> for example goes to
>   XMLSupport
>
> I copied the url from Firefox to IE and the same page showed up.
>
> And as it has over 500 members and 600 projects and has been running
> the core functions for storing code are surely not alpha. I assume it
> is labeled like that because for example sorting according to number
> of downloads does not work.

The alpha is a reference that ss3.gemtsone.com it is the first public try-out of
ss3 whatsoever.
  I think I should put the current state of development on a new
(and this time promised to be _not_ kept) instance. Stay tuned.

As pointed out Dale and me have pursuing plans for more than a year to
update the ss3.gemstone.com instance. It should have featured an updated
Banner, saying beta ;)

> Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
> results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).

As I said, improvements were already made but not yet deployed.

On https://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/
we track issues like this, while I reckon that it is hard to
distinguish between  ss3 as a code base and the ss3.gemstone.com
instance :)

> BTW I wonder how the XML support
>
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport.html/Overview?_s=8Udu9wSIHNxuiU_m&_k=2fxilRwF4cj8z-TI
>
> relates to what we have in Squeak 4.4 and Pharo 2.0.

I don't know :/

> And the URL this time is different, So I wonder where the RESTful URLs are.

Well, Ok, lets put it like that.
We have copy&paste-ables URLs, and if session storage by cookie is enabled,
even the _s parameter disappears. This is typical for seaside; call it
bug or feature.
  On the other side, http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/xmlsupport/ would be a more
RESTful part of that project, as, given sufficient privileges, you
can GET, PUT or DELETE versions. I even attempted to implement MOVE or sth
like that, but REST has no convention for such things.

> Kind regards

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

garduino

2013/1/3 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
Chris,

Where _do_ I spend my cycles? (you may ask)

Working on opening up git/github to smalltalkers.

github has over 1,000,000 users and 100+ folks work at github maintaining and developing the site ... How many full-time developers are there for SqueakSource3 or SmalltalkHub?

+111111111

Besides that, in my opinion, the combination of git/github is superior to anything we have.

+111111111

Finally, I believe that if and when the Smalltalk community adapts to git/github, Smalltalk as a development environment will become much more accessible to developers in general which can only be a good thing...

Full agree with your opinion. I think that really have not sense isolate ourselves in our little world. We need to share our objects in a social way and it's GitHub.

This is one of the aspects I like a lot from Cuis, it relies on GitHub from the beginning.

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-3
> Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
> results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).

No, that's my experience as well.  But I was also wanting to search
for *Versions* of a particular project, which does not seem to work at
all.

Am 04.01.2013 um 18:07 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

>> Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
>> results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).
>
> No, that's my experience as well.  But I was also wanting to search
> for *Versions* of a particular project, which does not seem to work at
> all.

Well, could you please file a bug at
https://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/
lest we forget it?

Best
        -Tobias

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Chris Muller-4
> The number as such is of some significance that we can expose our work
> to a large audience.

Yes, I should not have said "nothing".  I just inadvertently
overstated what I think should be the focus if we are to achieve
escape-velocity to break us away from our current MC paradigm --
namely that it can't be a "compromise" to our overall SCM capability,
it must be an ^improvement^ even in from strictly a Smalltalk
development perspective.  Which, it sounds like, Dale has almost
achieved that goal, so exposure to 1M users will be great icing.

> Smalltalk is no 46 on the github languages list.
>
> https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
>
> Otherwise I agree with you.
>

>> but some of the functionality; the idea of
>> being able to fork anyone's work and cherry-pick from other forks,
>> etc. as well as the server-continuity all sounds really great.
>
> Actually Monticello works fine locally but the infrastructure at the
> moment is weak.
>
> www.squeaksource.com cannot accept new projects.
>
> ss3 is alpha and Dale does not have time.
>
> Smalltalkhub does not have enough people to work on it.
>
> No RESTful URL's
>
> If we want to focus on e.g. making Etoys unlodable, Environments,
> Altitude etc we need to rely on well supported source code management.
>
> And for example SqueakMap is still a good project but support is weak as well.
> Goran is around from time to time and has an interest in doing
> something but in the end he does is very small.
>
> And Chris, you wrote that you want to work on it in 2013. This is great news.
>
> I assume SqueakMap probably does not need much more investment to
> become very useful
> tool again. In particular in connection with github.
>
> We could actually store just plain *.mcz files there as well. Not
> fully the intended use of github but probably a step in a smooth
> transition for Squeak programmers.
>
> And then start using FileTree of course.
>

> --Hannes
>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The two current challenges at the moment are Metacello/git integration and
>>> in-image support for git operations.
>>>
>>> The Metacello Preview represents my current take on integrating Metacello
>>> and git/github ... I like most of what I have, but there are a few things
>>> that I'm not happy with and that will need work before it's ready for
>>> primetime...
>>>
>>> There has been work done by Max Leske and Camillo Bruni to provide a
>>> FileSystem-based access to git, but I haven't had the time to play with
>>> this yet ...
>>>
>>> At this point in time, things are usable by pioneers who are willing to
>>> put up with a few hardships:)
>>>
>>> Dale

Ha, it's exactly the 100th issue entered!  Do I get prize?   ;)

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 04.01.2013 um 18:07 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
>
>>> Contrariwise to Chris a test  search for a project with 'XML' gave
>>> results. But it took maybe 40 seconds (just an estimate).
>>
>> No, that's my experience as well.  But I was also wanting to search
>> for *Versions* of a particular project, which does not seem to work at
>> all.
>
> Well, could you please file a bug at
> https://code.google.com/p/squeaksource3/
> lest we forget it?
>
> Best
>         -Tobias

Re: Cannot search Projects or Versions on SqueakSource3

Hannes Hirzel
Regarding the  MontiCello (MC) paradigm: Dale H. has stated that git,
github and other distributed version control systems like Mercurial
and MC can coexist

cf FileTree (in SqueakMap for 4.4, not a new information for you, I assume)

A smooth transition taking 1...5 years is possible....Nobody should feel forced.

For example Eliot M. says that MC is indispensable for his work.
As for me I must say that MC works fine.

And the MC files may be stored on web sites as well like Colin P. and
Lukas N. do with their artifacts.

BTW this reinforces the point that more support for SqueakMap is
needed for 2013.

--Hannes

12