Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Hannes Hirzel
On 10/3/12, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]

> 5) Code can be executed directly in the mail window. Oh wait, that is
> just me - the last Celeste user ;-)
>
> -- Jecel

Jecel

Do you have Celeste in 4.4? How did you load it?

Regards
Hannes

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Hannes,

> Do you have Celeste in 4.4? How did you load it?

I am typing this in a 4.1 image (latest update #9957). It has been a
long time since I loaded Celeste into this image. For the previous
images I had always used SqueakMap, but for this one it seems I used the
Monticello Browser to load packages Network-ar.69, Scamper-kfr.12 and
Network-Mail Reader-ls.21 from http://www.squeaksource.com/Celeste and
http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper but I might be interpreting the
Monticello Browser gui wrong.

There are some small patches that I have written myself, but they are
horrible hacks just to deal with very broken emails I have received.
They are always spam, so I have not wasted my time doing it right.

-- Jecel

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Chris Muller-3
Celeste was always a cool example and it sounds like it wouldn't be
much to get it going in 4.4.  I hope someone will do it.

On 10/5/12, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Celeste was always a cool example and it sounds like it wouldn't be
> much to get it going in 4.4.  I hope someone will do it.

Chris,

what are the reasons why you thing that porting wouldn't be a big issue.

Because it relies on libraries which did not change much from 4.1 to 4.4?

Do you remember what it needs as prerequisite?

--Hannes

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hannes,
>>
>>> Do you have Celeste in 4.4? How did you load it?
>>
>> I am typing this in a 4.1 image (latest update #9957). It has been a
>> long time since I loaded Celeste into this image. For the previous
>> images I had always used SqueakMap, but for this one it seems I used the
>> Monticello Browser to load packages Network-ar.69, Scamper-kfr.12 and
>> Network-Mail Reader-ls.21 from http://www.squeaksource.com/Celeste and
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper but I might be interpreting the
>> Monticello Browser gui wrong.
>>
>> There are some small patches that I have written myself, but they are
>> horrible hacks just to deal with very broken emails I have received.
>> They are always spam, so I have not wasted my time doing it right.
>>
>> -- Jecel

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Chris Muller-4
I don't have any reasons other than intuition.  Just thinking about it
-- with Celeste we have a standard window, a domain model and access
to SMTP.  Which of these would be difficult in 4.4?  Nothing comes to
mind.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/5/12, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Celeste was always a cool example and it sounds like it wouldn't be
>> much to get it going in 4.4.  I hope someone will do it.
>
> Chris,
>
> what are the reasons why you thing that porting wouldn't be a big issue.
>
> Because it relies on libraries which did not change much from 4.1 to 4.4?
>
> Do you remember what it needs as prerequisite?
>
> --Hannes
>
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hannes,

>>> I am typing this in a 4.1 image (latest update #9957). It has been a
>>> long time since I loaded Celeste into this image. For the previous
>>> images I had always used SqueakMap, but for this one it seems I used the
>>> Monticello Browser to load packages Network-ar.69, Scamper-kfr.12 and
>>> Network-Mail Reader-ls.21 from http://www.squeaksource.com/Celeste and
>>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper but I might be interpreting the
>>> Monticello Browser gui wrong.
>>>
>>> There are some small patches that I have written myself, but they are
>>> horrible hacks just to deal with very broken emails I have received.
>>> They are always spam, so I have not wasted my time doing it right.
>>>
>>> -- Jecel

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Chris Muller-3
Oops, I just saw Edgar's note.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have any reasons other than intuition.  Just thinking about it
> -- with Celeste we have a standard window, a domain model and access
> to SMTP.  Which of these would be difficult in 4.4?  Nothing comes to
> mind.
>

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/5/12, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Celeste was always a cool example and it sounds like it wouldn't be
>>> much to get it going in 4.4.  I hope someone will do it.
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> what are the reasons why you thing that porting wouldn't be a big issue.
>>
>> Because it relies on libraries which did not change much from 4.1 to 4.4?
>>
>> Do you remember what it needs as prerequisite?
>>
>> --Hannes

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Hannes Hirzel
Edgar mentions in the other thread that Google mail does not work and
that we might get the missing code from Zinc. Would it be possible to
give some elaborations on that?

--Hannes

On 10/5/12, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oops, I just saw Edgar's note.
>
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't have any reasons other than intuition.  Just thinking about it
>> -- with Celeste we have a standard window, a domain model and access
>> to SMTP.  Which of these would be difficult in 4.4?  Nothing comes to
>> mind.
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> what are the reasons why you thing that porting wouldn't be a big issue.
>>>
>>> Because it relies on libraries which did not change much from 4.1 to
>>> 4.4?
>>>
>>> Do you remember what it needs as prerequisite?
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

Edgar De Cleene

On 10/5/12 12:43 PM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Edgar mentions in the other thread that Google mail does not work and
> that we might get the missing code from Zinc. Would it be possible to
> give some elaborations on that?
>
> --Hannes

See Sven original post at

http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2012-February/059812.ht
ml

In short, for have gmail you must deal with HTTPS  , hope this help

Edgar

Re: Celeste email client in Squeak 4.4

openslateproj
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/5/12 12:43 PM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Edgar mentions in the other thread that Google mail does not work and
>> that we might get the missing code from Zinc. Would it be possible to
>> give some elaborations on that?
>>
>> --Hannes
>
> See Sven original post at
>
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2012-February/059812.ht
> ml
>
> In short, for have gmail you must deal with HTTPS  , hope this help
>
> Edgar

I just replie on the other thread. Both *claim* they require SSL.
Maybe this is not exactly true for Yahoo?

--
Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project
http://openslate.org/

On 10/5/12 10:15 PM, "Open Slate" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just replie on the other thread. Both *claim* they require SSL.
> Maybe this is not exactly true for Yahoo?

Gary:

I try to follow Sven example on Pharo and how actually Celeste works.
No promises ....

Edgar