Changeset: forceString.1.cs

Christoph Thiede

This changeset proposes an additional property for PluggableTextMorph/PluggableTextSpec, named #forceString. If it is activated, any formattings will be erased from the text morph instantly.

This can be useful for widgets that are not actually designed to accept texts and thus display a heap of unwanted formattings. An example is the SearchBar, which at least in my image too often looks totally misstyled after several copy'n'paste operations:

(Or should maybe use a text styler there, instead?)

Another, probably better example is FillInTheBlankMorph. As it only returns a string, there is no need to display styled texts.

How would you think about it? Please let me know. :-)

Best,

Christoph

forceString.1.cs (4K) Download Attachment
Carpe Squeak!

Re: Changeset: forceString.1.cs

Jakob Reschke
May the force be with you, but without formatting.

I don't know whether the feature is warranted. But if it is, please call it differently. What about removeAllTextAttributes or displayWithoutTextAttributes?

Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Mo., 20. Jan. 2020 um 21:18 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

This changeset proposes an additional property for PluggableTextMorph/PluggableTextSpec, named #forceString. If it is activated, any formattings will be erased from the text morph instantly.

This can be useful for widgets that are not actually designed to accept texts and thus display a heap of unwanted formattings. An example is the SearchBar, which at least in my image too often looks totally misstyled after several copy'n'paste operations:

(Or should maybe use a text styler there, instead?)

Another, probably better example is FillInTheBlankMorph. As it only returns a string, there is no need to display styled texts.

How would you think about it? Please let me know. :-)

Best,

Christoph

Re: Changeset: forceString.1.cs

Christoph Thiede

Yes, a different name might be better. But to me, your proposals sound very verb-like but not adjective-like ...

Obviously, it might be better to create this hook directly in the TextEditor. Then we could remove the formatting even before displaying the formatted version only one microsecond to the user ...

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 21. Jan. 2020, 17:06:

But to me, your proposals sound very verb-like but not adjective-like ...

Yes because you want a property on the widget, and you want it to do something, not be something.

But if you abstract from that and somehow equate the text view with the text then #withoutTextAttributes works as well.