Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Aaron Reichow
Hey Squeakers!

I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on
the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.

Check it out at:
http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/

Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode) for
DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.

Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.

Regards,
Aaron

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Brad Fuller-3
Aaron Reichow wrote:

> Hey Squeakers!
>
> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on
> the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
> page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
> recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
> together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>
> Check it out at:
> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>
> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode) for
> DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>
> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And thanks
> to those who have helped me out with this lil project.

Cool... Digitalk brings back memories...

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Juan Vuletich-4
Cool!

Does anybody know who are the people behind Dan and Alan in the St-80
picture?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Aaron Reichow escribió:

> Hey Squeakers!
>
> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on
> the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
> page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
> recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
> together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>
> Check it out at:
> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>
> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode) for
> DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>
> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And thanks
> to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron
>

> --No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 16/3/2007 12:12 p.m.

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Alan Kay
I'm pretty sure that isn't me.

Cheers,

Alan

CheersAt 01:29 PM 3/16/2007, Juan Vuletich wrote:

>Cool!
>
>Does anybody know who are the people behind Dan and Alan in the St-80 picture?
>
>Cheers,
>Juan Vuletich
>
>Aaron Reichow escribió:
>>Hey Squeakers!
>>
>>I and others have discussed old versions of
>>Smalltalk a few times on the list in recent
>>months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
>>page with screenshots of various old versions
>>of Smalltalk.  I recently got a few of these
>>old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
>>together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>>
>>Check it out at:
>>http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>>
>>Right now I've got some info and screenshots up
>>for: Apple Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic,
>>Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode) for DOS, and
>>Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>>
>>Thanks to all those who made this thing we
>>love: Smalltalk! And thanks to those who have
>>helped me out with this lil project.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Aaron
>>

>>--No virus found in this incoming message.
>>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>268.18.12/724 - Release Date: 16/3/2007 12:12 p.m.

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Scott Wallace-3
Front row:  Dan Ingalls, Barry Haynes
Back row: Yu Ying Chow, <can't remember>, and Mark Lentczner

Cheers,

   -- Scott

On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Cool!
>
> Does anybody know who are the people behind Dan and Alan in the
> St-80 picture?
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Aaron Reichow escribió:
>> Hey Squeakers!
>>
>> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times
>> on the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting
>> up a page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.
>> I recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I
>> put together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic
>> info.
>>
>> Check it out at:
>> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

stephane ducasse
excellent if we could get the archives and the exe this would be even
better :)

On 16 mars 07, at 04:46, Aaron Reichow wrote:

> Hey Squeakers!
>
> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times
> on the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up
> a page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
> recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I
> put together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>
> Check it out at:
> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>
> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode)
> for DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>
> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
> thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Juan Vuletich-4
Oops! I apologize.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Alan Kay escribió:

> I'm pretty sure that isn't me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> CheersAt 01:29 PM 3/16/2007, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Cool!
>>
>> Does anybody know who are the people behind Dan and Alan in the St-80
>> picture?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>> Aaron Reichow escribió:
>>> Hey Squeakers!
>>>
>>> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on
>>> the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
>>> page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
>>> recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
>>> together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>>>
>>> Check it out at:
>>> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>>>
>>> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
>>> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode)
>>> for DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
>>> thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Aaron
>>>

>>> --No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>>> 16/3/2007 12:12 p.m.

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Dan Ingalls
>Front row:  Dan Ingalls, Barry Haynes
>Back row: Yu Ying Chow, <can't remember>, and Mark Lentczner

That's Rick Meyers in the back row.  He did the original interpreter for ST-80 at Apple that we picked up and evolved into the APDA release.

Scott would be there, but he didn't join the team until after this version was released.

        - Dan

>Cheers,
>
>  -- Scott
>
>On Mar 16, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>>Cool!
>>
>>Does anybody know who are the people behind Dan and Alan in the St-80 picture?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Juan Vuletich
>>
>>Aaron Reichow escribió:
>>>Hey Squeakers!
>>>
>>>I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.
>>>I recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>>>
>>>Check it out at:
>>>http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Aaron Reichow
Stephane,

I've put them up here:

http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/download

Read the ReadMe.html file for some useful info on using these files.

Since I've not cleared these for copyright, I'm not publisizing this
link to everyone, but I've handed it out to a few folks.  I can't
imagine that there'd be any legal problems sharing this- I think it
all would count as "abandonware," but just in case there is a
potential legal problem and also so I don't piss off the people who
placed me in their trust and sent me copies of these programs in the
first place. I'm emailing those folks to see if they mind me sharing
them.

If you need any help getting them going, don't hesitate to email me.

Regards,
Aaron

On Mar 17, 2007, at 9:16 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> excellent if we could get the archives and the exe this would be
> even better :)
>
> On 16 mars 07, at 04:46, Aaron Reichow wrote:
>
>> Hey Squeakers!
>>
>> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times
>> on the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting
>> up a page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.
>> I recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I
>> put together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic
>> info.
>>
>> Check it out at:
>> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>>
>> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
>> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode)
>> for DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>>
>> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
>> thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aaron

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Aaron Reichow
Dear list and contributors-

Whoops, I blew that one.  Time to backtrack and dig myself out of a
whole! I'm removing the pps-st80-dos.zip because the contributor
mentioned it might contain some applications specific to where he
works, but leaving the rest because I've seen it passed around
elsewhere. If anyone can think of a reason to remove the other files,
please email me and I'll do so.

Regards,
Aaron

On Mar 17, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Aaron Reichow wrote:

> Stephane,
>
> I've put them up here:
>
> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/download
>
> Read the ReadMe.html file for some useful info on using these files.
>
> Since I've not cleared these for copyright, I'm not publisizing
> this link to everyone, but I've handed it out to a few folks.  I
> can't imagine that there'd be any legal problems sharing this- I
> think it all would count as "abandonware," but just in case there
> is a potential legal problem and also so I don't piss off the
> people who placed me in their trust and sent me copies of these
> programs in the first place. I'm emailing those folks to see if
> they mind me sharing them.
>
> If you need any help getting them going, don't hesitate to email me.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron
>
> On Mar 17, 2007, at 9:16 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> excellent if we could get the archives and the exe this would be
>> even better :)
>>
>> On 16 mars 07, at 04:46, Aaron Reichow wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Squeakers!
>>>
>>> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times
>>> on the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting
>>> up a page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.
>>> I recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight
>>> I put together a simple page with a few screenshots and some
>>> basic info.
>>>
>>> Check it out at:
>>> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>>>
>>> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
>>> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode)
>>> for DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
>>> thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Aaron

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

Juan Vuletich-4
WOW! I can't believe it! I'm using the original Smalltalk-80 for the
first time! I downloaded MiniVMac for windows and it works great on WinXP!

Thanks Aaron!

BTW, old macs had only a 1 button mouse. To emulate middle button and
right button use F1 and F2 as modifiers.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Aaron Reichow escribió:

> Stephane,
>
> I've put them up here:
>
> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/download
>
> Read the ReadMe.html file for some useful info on using these files.
>
> Since I've not cleared these for copyright, I'm not publisizing this
> link to everyone, but I've handed it out to a few folks.  I can't
> imagine that there'd be any legal problems sharing this- I think it
> all would count as "abandonware," but just in case there is a
> potential legal problem and also so I don't piss off the people who
> placed me in their trust and sent me copies of these programs in the
> first place. I'm emailing those folks to see if they mind me sharing
> them.
>
> If you need any help getting them going, don't hesitate to email me.
>
> Regards,
> Aaron
>
> On Mar 17, 2007, at 9:16 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> excellent if we could get the archives and the exe this would be even
>> better :)
>>
>> On 16 mars 07, at 04:46, Aaron Reichow wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Squeakers!
>>>
>>> I and others have discussed old versions of Smalltalk a few times on
>>> the list in recent months.  Something I mentioned was putting up a
>>> page with screenshots of various old versions of Smalltalk.  I
>>> recently got a few of these old Smalltalks running and tonight I put
>>> together a simple page with a few screenshots and some basic info.
>>>
>>> Check it out at:
>>> http://bitquabit.com/rev/old/
>>>
>>> Right now I've got some info and screenshots up for: Apple
>>> Smalltalk-80 for Mac OS Classic, Digitalk Methods 1.1 (text-mode)
>>> for DOS, and Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 R3 (graphical) for DOS.
>>>
>>> Thanks to all those who made this thing we love: Smalltalk! And
>>> thanks to those who have helped me out with this lil project.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Aaron
>>>

> --No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 17/3/2007 12:33 p.m.

Re: Check out the Smalltalk Archeology page! Smalltalk-80, and more!

stephane ducasse
Right I'm more than flooded. But I have archive them on my disc :)

Stef