Client Installation

BrunoBB
Hi,

Trying to install:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/installDevKitClient.md

If my client is Windows the following Script should be executed in Windows (git shell) ??
git clone https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home.git
cd GsDevKit_home
export GS_HOME=`pwd`
export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH
installClient 2>&1 | tee $GS_HOME/install.log
downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log
createClient tode1 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log

If it so --> "export" command is not recognised by Git shell.
In Windows should  i set variables in the Environment Variables window (GS_HOME & PATH) ?

Why there is a line like: downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log ?

Why the client installation download (GS 3.3) ?

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Client Installation

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:18 PM, BrunoBB via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Trying to install:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/installDevKitClient.md

If my client is Windows the following Script should be executed in Windows
(git shell) ??
git clone https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home.git
cd GsDevKit_home
export GS_HOME=`pwd`
export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH
installClient 2>&1 | tee $GS_HOME/install.log
downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log
createClient tode1 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log

If it so --> "export" command is not recognised by Git shell.
In Windows should  i set variables in the Environment Variables window
(GS_HOME & PATH) ?

Why there is a line like: downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a
$GS_HOME/install.log ?

Because with the `tee -a` what you do is to append all the output of all the installation steps into one single install.log. You can then share that .log and Dale would (ideally) have as much info as possible (all output in a single file)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM, BrunoBB via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Trying to install:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/installation/installDevKitClient.md

If my client is Windows the following Script should be executed in Windows
(git shell) ??
git clone https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home.git
cd GsDevKit_home
export GS_HOME=`pwd`
export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH
installClient 2>&1 | tee $GS_HOME/install.log
downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log
createClient tode1 2>&1 | tee -a $GS_HOME/install.log

If it so --> "export" command is not recognised by Git shell.

Hi Bruno,

Make certain you have the bash shell configured rather than Microsfot's Powershell.

In Windows should  i set variables in the Environment Variables window
(GS_HOME & PATH) ?

If you always want them set and always to the same value. Otherwise, do what I do and define convenience aliases in your .bashrc.
alias gdk='export GS_HOME=/c/GsDevKit_home; export PATH=$GS_HOME/bin:$PATH; cd $GS_HOME'
alias gdh='cd $GS_HOME'

Why there is a line like: downloadGemStone 3.3.0 2>&1 | tee -a
$GS_HOME/install.log ?

Why the client installation download (GS 3.3) ?

The client needs the Windows DLLs for the GCI library. This command downloads the Windows subset of the GemStone product. (gslist, topaz, the DLLs, etc.)

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Client Installation

BrunoBB
Hi,

With Git Bash in Windows (thanks Richard) i get the following:
/*******************************************************/
Usuario@localserver MINGW64 ~/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home (master)
$ export GS_HOME=/c/Users/Usuario/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home/

Usuario@localserver MINGW64 ~/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home (master)
$ installClient 2>&1 | tee $GS_HOME/install.log
=================
   GsDevKit script: installClient
              path: /c/Users/Usuario/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home//bin/installClient
=================
=================
   GsDevKit script: setupGsDevKit client
              path: /c/Users/Usuario/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home//bin/setupGsDevKit
=================
=================
   GsDevKit script: installOsPrereqs client
              path: /c/Users/Usuario/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home//bin/utils/installOsPrereqs
=================
This script only works on a 64-bit Linux or Mac OS X machine. The result from "uname -sm" is "MINGW64_NT-6.2 x86_64" :: installOsPrereqs client
Error on or near line 58 :: setupGsDevKit client :: setupGsDevKit client
Error on or near line 60 :: installClient  :: installClient

Usuario@localserver MINGW64 ~/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home (master)

/******************************************************************************/

Is the GS_HOME variable with a correct value ?
(/c/Users/Usuario/Documents/GitHub/GsDevKit_home/)

I will check this at home maybe i doing something wrong ?
(the problem is with the client the stone is running and i can connect to it with Jade client)

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Client Installation

GLASS mailing list
Bruno,

from your `uname`, you are using MINGW64_NT and the scripts don't
recognize your windows machine as a windows machine ... so far we've
seen MINGW32_NT and MSYS_NT ... My windows naiveté is showing :)

I will need to add MINGW64 to the mix and do another release ... I
should be able to get the edits done sometime in the next couple of days ...

Here's a bug to track progress[1].

Thanks for providing detailed info ..

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/126