Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

Americo Damasceno
The sale (to make money) of Croquet, Cobalt or any    modified versions of this
architecture  are regulated, not by my personal opinion, but by the
official "Croquet License" that says:

"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.. etc."

In Brazil, we have the "Consumer's Law" - one of the better in the world - that
prohibits the sale of any product without warranties from the seller.

Maybe at some countries, where the consumer is not respected, this can be
done...

Re: Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

Peter Moore-5
Interesting. I'm no lawyer, but I've always assumed that a commercial
product built on Croquet or Cobalt could provide whatever warranty
they like. It is only the open-source code provided by the Consortium
that does not have a warranty. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

-Peter

On Apr 7, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> The sale (to make money) of Croquet, Cobalt or any    modified
> versions of this
> architecture  are regulated, not by my personal opinion, but by the
> official "Croquet License" that says:
>
> "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
> included in all
> copies or substantial portions of the software.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.. etc."
>
> In Brazil, we have the "Consumer's Law" - one of the better in the
> world - that
> prohibits the sale of any product without warranties from the seller.
>
> Maybe at some countries, where the consumer is not respected, this
> can be
> done...

Re: Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

waufrepi III

Yes very interesting,

 to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

 then the no-warranty......

     I interpreted it to mean that ....if for some reason, the official Croquet ver 1, should fry your computer  then the consortium was not responsible. ie you can not return it for a full refund + compensation for damages

so for instance if some-one modifies and redistributes then provides their own warranty for their version......officially garunteeing that it wont fry your system, a consumer could hold that company responsible for damages to their machine.

consumer protected.

this surely needs clarifying.

I also assumed that all artworks, or media creations are the property of their creator......this is how the Blender license works...I can create with Blender, but the Blender foundation does not own my work, nor does it take a percentage

On 4/7/08, Peter Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Darius Clarke
It might be worth those in Brazil reviewing how other open source software is utilized in Brazil since Croquet's license is similar to all those.

Cheers,
Darius

Re: Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

Ken Hawkins-2
Then how does Microsoft stay in business in Brazil? They must be liable
for Billions of dollars in losses!

Sorry, couldn't resist......

Ken
PS, Dreamlinux is a popular linux distro from Brazil. I am curious if
their EULA would be different if the consumer is in Brazil vs in another
country?

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 18:36 -0400, Americo Damasceno wrote:

> The sale (to make money) of Croquet, Cobalt or any    modified versions of this
> architecture  are regulated, not by my personal opinion, but by the
> official "Croquet License" that says:
>
> "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
> copies or substantial portions of the software.
>
> THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.. etc."
>
> In Brazil, we have the "Consumer's Law" - one of the better in the world - that
> prohibits the sale of any product without warranties from the seller.
>
> Maybe at some countries, where the consumer is not respected, this can be
> done...

Re: Cobalt, Croquet License and brazilian laws

Dmitriy Kazimirow

2008/4/8, Americo Damasceno <[hidden email]>:
In Brazil, we have the "Consumer's Law" - one of the better in the world - that
prohibits the sale of any product without warranties from the seller.

Very good law. Would be good to have such in more countries.
But I'm just curious, how for example GPL software exist in Brazillia(like RedHat Ent. Linux, which is payed for but distributed under GPL, or (classic example) like Windows)?As far as I know, almost ALL software licenses(even non-free) has simular conditions(sometimes with clauses like 'and if for some reason provision about no warranty is invalid we pay no more than 5US$ anyway')

p.s.Is there any cases there this law was tested in court against software products, would be very interesting to read.

Best Regards,
Dmitriy Kazimirov,
C++ Developer
of ISS Art, Ltd., Omsk, Russia
Web: http://www.issart.com
E-mail: [hidden email] (or [hidden email] for personal things)