Cobalt for artists (no code). Express tutorial

Cobalt for artists (no code). Express tutorial

Americo Damasceno
1 - Download and install Blender 2.41 for Windows from:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/blender-2.41-windows.exe

Our .ASE converter doesn't work  for the new version.

2 - Read our old tutorials (forget the parts about code) at:

http://www.dmu.com/crb

Download the kit. It has the .ASE converter.

3 - Create, inside the folder: Content of "Cobalt", the folder: land1 and the
subfolder: Textures.

4 - Do the exercice of the tutorial, saving the files: land1.ase and
ground.jpg, firstcube.jpg and secondcube.jpg in the respective folders.

5 - Open the basic "Cobalt" island and load the basic DMU new place from:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU0.c3d

It's an empty island having only a little red cube at the entry position
(0,3,0).

6 - Entering in this new empty island, you can add any local .ASE file
selecting "Things" in the Menu. Add the created mesh: land1.ase. It will appear
in front of the avatar.

7 - Save this island using any name you like . Will be created a .c3d file at
the folder: Cache. You can upload it to your site, to be loaded by everybody.
Like you can do using ours:

http://www.dmu.com/cobalt/DMU05.c3d

Only this :-)

I hope that you, artists, will create some beatifull island and put them
available for us. If you don't have a site, send the file, by email, for me. I
will upload it to our DMU site.

If you are a milionaire you can use 3dsmax, Photoshop etc. for the creation of
the "island" (a  .ASE file).

I hope that soon, we will have the "multiplayer thing" and will be possible for
many people visit the same island, to chat etc. like we do at Second Life.

And soon I will update al the DMU tutorials to teach how to create animations,
collisions, sound, guns shooting, doors opening etc etc. Unfortunately
programmers are needed to do this... The idea is that artists and programmers
can work together for the creation of interesting "islands".

If you have any doubt let me know here.

Re: Cobalt for artists (no code). Express tutorial

waufrepi III

I kinda got a dur thought. maybe lets build a Croquet space with the vid tutorials in them...... display on player, kinda with the spirit of the project., maybe to much CPU though to run both croquet and Blender.........plus documents displaying corresponding code and such.  Then a newbie comes in and is guided from portal to portal in a step wise process.

And to note: my opinion is that the designer should be able to use, understand, and at a minimal level modify code,( I'm learning squeak for instance) but shouldn't be the one writing it from scratch! while designing, suggesting the object which needs code associated with it for particular process.....this is undefined territory I think.

The design process would need to be split as well, for instance teams/ or teamates responsible for texturing(painters), the same for modeling, rigging and animating. etc

The design squad works with coders and faculty(acedemic purposes) for the entire island. This would need a certain creative cooperation which I'm not sure is possible though...lots of chefs in the kitchen.

Also, while wildly creative, there isn't much "art" in this business. Though it is possible, and is likely

wfpi

On 3/20/08, Americo Fraga Damasceno Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Cobalt for artists (no code). Express tutorial (doing with images makes symbols)

Paul Sheldon-2

--- waufrepi III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I kinda got a dur thought.
I think you mean emergent, unpolished, shared for
others to polish
with you.
> maybe lets build a
> Croquet space with the vid
> tutorials in them......
Sort of putting the foot to the floor rather than just
peddling.

> display on player, kinda
> with the spirit of the
> project., maybe to much CPU though to run both
> croquet and
> Blender.........
I'd like to pause the movie and go try and do it in
another window.
I've putzed around for you. Embedd App (Master) in
Croquet 1.0.18.9
release version had a projects thing in the dock, so
you could code
while in a world. You click on projects and all your
projects appear
(I think project is the same as a page with croquet
stuff on it).
You click on a project and a portal appears that you
can view
and control this page with croquet stuff on it, this
project.

I don't believe the two person thing works from
Americo
who is wiser than I about these things than I saying.
At one point, I thought you could have a common
blackboard
across the world and was very excited, but
experimented
with wifi or something and found it didn't work
and also any big saves of images make some sort of
incompatibility
to sharing worlds to do the doing with images make
symbols
or blackboards thing in.

Basic file types such as gifs can be dragged onto
projects.
Evidently, *.mov files must be changed to *.mpg or
some other
acceptable format : *.swf, a flash file!

Simply drag on project (creat with World menu click in
a previous project backgrouund, open, open morphic
project) for some reason can't drag into world (with
dumb error message in passive voice
format not recognized, people find it hard to write
smart error messages, mind you, that takes a lot of
time). Somehow such things
are put in worlds, but not by dragging (yet).

>plus documents displaying
> corresponding code and such.
I tried Embedd App in cobalt :
It too had a projects on "the dock" (bottom go to
controller in mac talk).
Cobalt developers showed the last tweeks in a window
called about this image.
So, that particular world sort has projects in this
dock.

>  Then
> a newbie comes in and is guided from portal to
> portal in a step wise
> process.
Kindly, not as an executive brief to someone who isn't
really interested.
The movie shows, summarizes resulting gestalt and has
the newbie
go and do it (doesn't try to "do it all for the
executive", very hard
to break this training we probably got either trying
to impress
professors or executives we were "working for").

> And to note: my opinion is that the designer should
> be able to use,
> understand, and at a minimal level modify code,( I'm
> learning squeak for
> instance) but shouldn't be the one writing it from
> scratch!
There is something profound here, but I waxed too
eloquent here and so canned
my thoughts which were extremely funny.

>  while designing,
> suggesting the object which needs code associated
> with it for particular
> process.....this is undefined territory I think.
When you are a definitive source, you go in undefined
territory
and define.

> Also, while wildly creative, there isn't much "art"
> in this business.
Xanadu said the dark side well. I fear the "workflow"
sound byte phrases
built by advertising agencies as not being deep enough
to create new markets
and capital.

> Though
> it is possible, and *is* *likely*.
It may be "required"!

;-)

Well written food for thought.

Re: Cobalt for artists (no code). Express tutorial (doing with images makes symbols)

Janet Plato
I have to say I am very excited by the recent spate of posts on
getting started with
cobalt.  I still need to get a public server running, but the posts
have been pretty
exciting and I look forward to playing with it.

Thanks,

Janet