Cobalt released!

Matthew Schmidt-2
I'm cross posting again. Thought you folks would want to know that the Cobalt image showed up on the OpenCroquet wiki for download this afternoon. I posted all the links to my blog, so hit them up there.

http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2008/03/cobalt-released.html

-Matt

Re: [croquet-dev] Cobalt released!

Tapple Gao
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 03:45:34PM -0600, Matthew Schmidt wrote:
>    I'm cross posting again. Thought you folks would want to know that the
>    Cobalt image showed up on the OpenCroquet wiki for download this
>    afternoon. I posted all the links to my blog, so hit them up there.
>
>    http://xaverse.blogspot.com/2008/03/cobalt-released.html

Hi. This looks pretty cool. I don't understand the vision behind
this. I tried running it, but the computer I'm currently on has
no graphic acceleration, so I couldn't do anything. I'll attempt
some coherent questions:

Is this intended to be an end-user application like KAT and
eToys, as opposed to a development kit, like Croquet and Squeak?

Is this supposed to be a forum for communicating and sharing
documents, kinda like Qwaq, or KAT, or for something else?

Heh. those are lame questions. I'm trying to get more acquainted
with the Croquet community and how you guys communicate. This is
only the second time I heard about Cobalt (the first was last
week). Is there a forum for advertising projects like this other
than the croquet mailing lists and IRC channel?

I'm very interested in tools to build a better, stronger
community among Squeak users and developers, and this seems to
be a good start in that direction.

I'll try this when I get home and hopefully come up with some
better questions :)

Re: [croquet-dev] Cobalt released!

Giulio Prisco-3
This is very interesting and important. I downloaded Cobalt and am
playing with it.

A few weeks ago I wrote: Open Croquet integrates some of the best
software engineering concepts and techniques, and "deserves" success.
It is currently limited by its lack of accessibility—there is no such
a thing as an easy access general purpose OC browser for OC
metaverses.

Well, now there IS an easy access general purpose OC browser for OC
metaverses. Cobalt is in a very early stage (pre-alpha as they say
above) and looks primitive, but so did Mosaic. I understand that
Cobalt is a browser: a tool that can be used to access a world wide
web of linked Open Croquet metaverses built by users. This (Mosaic in
the early 90s) is what started the explosive growth of the Internet in
the early 90s, and it could now start an explosive growth of the
metaverse in the late 00s. And everyone can be involved in the
development of the world wide metaverse built on open source
technologies.

Great work and I look fwd to learning more.

G.

--
Giulio Prisco
[hidden email]