Code repositories

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Since Squeak 5.2 is out, I thought it might be a good excuse to revisit some database stuff...

But...

What is the "official"/preferred Squeak code repository ?

There is code on SqueakSource, GitHub, http://source.squeak.org, SmalltalkHub, SqueakSource3, etc.

Do I have to visit each of those places to find the latest package XYZ I want to test/port ?

And when I do migrate some code to Squeak 5.2, what is the "official" code repository where I should publish it?

P.S. If there is no centralized code repository for Squeak, it might be a good idea to create one.  How many times was I frustrated to find code that was pharo-centric and that wouldn't load in Squeak because it was *explicitly* written for Pharo without any regard for dialect-compatibility ?

P.P.S.  I couldn't find any tool for GitHub publishing in the out-of-the-box Squeak 5.2 image.  Is GitHub a long-term goal for publishing code & code management ?  In other words, where should we ALL publish our code for Squeak apps/frameworks ?

Re: Code repositories

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Benoit

On 10/19/18, Benoit St-Jean via Squeak-dev
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since Squeak 5.2 is out, I thought it might be a good excuse to revisit some
> database stuff...
> But...
> What is the "official"/preferred Squeak code repository ?
> There is code on SqueakSource, GitHub, http://source.squeak.org,

http://source.squeak.org
might  be a candiate place for database drivers, adaptors etc.

> SmalltalkHub, SqueakSource3, etc.
> Do I have to visit each of those places to find the latest package XYZ I
> want to test/port ?

Yes, as there are many repositories. Asking on the ML is also a good option.

> And when I do migrate some code to Squeak 5.2, what is the "official" code
> repository where I should publish it?

An entry (release) in the SqueakMap catalog for 5.2 will refer to the
proper place.
For example there is an entry for loading FFI into 5.2, a prerequisite
for database access.

> P.S. If there is no centralized code repository for Squeak, it might be a
> good idea to create one.

The wiki is not a code repository but contains many references to
database work, past and current.

The master list:
Databases and Persistence
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/512

> How many times was I frustrated to find code that
> was pharo-centric and that wouldn't load in Squeak because it was
> *explicitly* written for Pharo without any regard for dialect-compatibility
> ?
Yes, there is a need for dialect-agnostic database solutions (i.e.
general part and dialect specific parts separated).

> P.P.S.  I couldn't find any tool for GitHub publishing in the out-of-the-box
> Squeak 5.2 image.  Is GitHub a long-term goal for publishing code & code
> management ?  In other words, where should we ALL publish our code for
> Squeak apps/frameworks ?

--Hannes