Cog Linux 2732 test results

Chris Muller-3
Hi Eliot, I've finally had a chance to let my app wail on Cog Linux
2732 and wanted to give you update.

It's phreaking great.  I've not had a single crash even after a week
straight of as many as 18 Cog cores running simultaneously across 5
quad core machines, each doing work involving lots of become
operations.

You've really helped Squeak with Cog.  Way to go.

Hopefully we can get Tim's BitBlt and Craig's Spoon changes integrated
without breaking anything!  :)

Re: Cog Linux 2732 test results

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/1/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot, I've finally had a chance to let my app wail on Cog Linux
> 2732 and wanted to give you update.
>
> It's phreaking great.  I've not had a single crash even after a week
> straight of as many as 18 Cog cores running simultaneously across 5
> quad core machines, each doing work involving lots of become
> operations.
>
> You've really helped Squeak with Cog.  Way to go.
>
> Hopefully we can get Tim's BitBlt and Craig's Spoon changes integrated
> without breaking anything!  :)

Thank you Cris for this test report.

I assume you compiled the Cog VMs yourself, did you?

--Hannes

Re: Cog Linux 2732 test results

Frank Shearar-3
On 10 July 2013 12:29, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/1/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Eliot, I've finally had a chance to let my app wail on Cog Linux
>> 2732 and wanted to give you update.
>>
>> It's phreaking great.  I've not had a single crash even after a week
>> straight of as many as 18 Cog cores running simultaneously across 5
>> quad core machines, each doing work involving lots of become
>> operations.
>>
>> You've really helped Squeak with Cog.  Way to go.
>>
>> Hopefully we can get Tim's BitBlt and Craig's Spoon changes integrated
>> without breaking anything!  :)
>>

> Thank you Cris for this test report.
>
> I assume you compiled the Cog VMs yourself, did you?

Clearly I'm not Chris, but I assumed he just picked up one of the
prebuilt binaries from
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2732/

frank

> --Hannes

Re: Cog Linux 2732 test results

Chris Muller-4
No, I'm using the official binaries Eliot distributed.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 6:29 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/1/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Eliot, I've finally had a chance to let my app wail on Cog Linux
>> 2732 and wanted to give you update.
>>
>> It's phreaking great.  I've not had a single crash even after a week
>> straight of as many as 18 Cog cores running simultaneously across 5
>> quad core machines, each doing work involving lots of become
>> operations.
>>
>> You've really helped Squeak with Cog.  Way to go.
>>
>> Hopefully we can get Tim's BitBlt and Craig's Spoon changes integrated
>> without breaking anything!  :)
>>

> Thank you Cris for this test report.
>
> I assume you compiled the Cog VMs yourself, did you?
>
> --Hannes

Re: Cog Linux 2732 test results

Chris Muller-3
Unfortunately, I just discovered 2732 runs less than half the speed of
2640..  :-(

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 6:29 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/1/13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Eliot, I've finally had a chance to let my app wail on Cog Linux
>> 2732 and wanted to give you update.
>>
>> It's phreaking great.  I've not had a single crash even after a week
>> straight of as many as 18 Cog cores running simultaneously across 5
>> quad core machines, each doing work involving lots of become
>> operations.
>>
>> You've really helped Squeak with Cog.  Way to go.
>>
>> Hopefully we can get Tim's BitBlt and Craig's Spoon changes integrated
>> without breaking anything!  :)
>>

> Thank you Cris for this test report.
>
> I assume you compiled the Cog VMs yourself, did you?
>
> --Hannes

Re: Cog Linux 2732 test results

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, I just discovered 2732 runs less than half the speed of
2640..  :-(

This is known and the fix is deployed here at cadence.  It's a snafu that affects only linux.  I should build and release VMs by Monday.

--
best,
Eliot