[Cog] Proposal: get rid of checks if files should be regenerated

[Cog] Proposal: get rid of checks if files should be regenerated

Igor Stasenko

Hello,

just a proposal.
A full VMMaker sources generation under cog vm takes less than 1
minute, in fact even less:

[ CogMacOSConfig generateWithSources ] timeToRun 24919

(so, in fact its 25 seconds)
this is including all plugins and cmake files!

which makes me thinking that we could simplify code generation a lot
by removing unnecessary checks whether file(s) should be re-generated
or not.
Because it just adds a mess and unnecessary complexity into already
complex code.
What you think?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [Cog] Proposal: get rid of checks if files should be regenerated

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

just a proposal.
A full VMMaker sources generation under cog vm takes less than 1
minute, in fact even less:

[ CogMacOSConfig generateWithSources ] timeToRun 24919

You miss the point.  By not regenerating e.g. interp.h one avoids recompiling every file in the VM when one does a C compilation.  If every time one regenerates the CoInterpreter one also regenerates interp.h then all the files in the VM will be recompiled even though only CoInterpreter has changed and needs recompiling.  I build three VMs (production, assert, debug) for each of three platforms (Mac, WIndows, linux).  So avoiding regenerating unchanged header files turns out to be rater valuable.

Make sense now?

Eliot

On 29 June 2011 19:37, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> just a proposal.
>> A full VMMaker sources generation under cog vm takes less than 1
>> minute, in fact even less:
>>
>> [ CogMacOSConfig generateWithSources ] timeToRun 24919
>
> You miss the point.  By not regenerating e.g. interp.h one avoids recompiling every file in the VM when one does a C compilation.  If every time one regenerates the CoInterpreter one also regenerates interp.h then all the files in the VM will be recompiled even though only CoInterpreter has changed and needs recompiling.  I build three VMs (production, assert, debug) for each of three platforms (Mac, WIndows, linux).  So avoiding regenerating unchanged header files turns out to be rater valuable.
> Make sense now?

Yes, when you build VM very often during development it makes sense.
Partly.. because building don't takes too much time either :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.