Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Frank Shearar-3
Hi Eliot,

I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:

    http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console

but the error itself is this:

    pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
Operation not permitted

and the process exited with status 22.

Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
through to work around the problem?

frank

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Chris Cunnington-4

On Jun 20, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eliot,

I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:

   http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console

but the error itself is this:

   pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
Operation not permitted

There are three Cogs, right:

coglinux
coglinuxht
cogmtlinuxht

I have encountered the same problem testing for Altitude on Ubuntu. Exact same error as you can see from the link attached. This only happens with cogllinuxht and cogmtlinuxht. The quickest way to solve your problem is to switch from coglinuxht, which you are using, to coglinux.

FWIW,
Chris

and the process exited with status 22.

Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
through to work around the problem?

frank

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Bob Westergaard
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
> Operation not permitted

>From the source:

    http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c?revision=2935&view=markup#l360

it looks like maybe you do not have permissions to set thread
priorities.  Did you configure /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf?  If
not, then there are some instructions here:

  http://forum.world.st/New-Cog-VMs-available-td4701895.html

Regards,
-- Bob

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Chris Cunnington-4
That's interesting. Works for me. I added that, /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf to my Dell Sputnik Ubuntu and the VMs that hitherto would not start, cogmtlinuxht and coglinuxht in the 3000 series, start just fine. Very nice.

Chris

On Jun 20, 2014, at 9:48 PM, Bob Westergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>> Operation not permitted
>
>> From the source:
>
>    http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c?revision=2935&view=markup#l360
>
> it looks like maybe you do not have permissions to set thread
> priorities.  Did you configure /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf?  If
> not, then there are some instructions here:
>
>  http://forum.world.st/New-Cog-VMs-available-td4701895.html
>
> Regards,
> -- Bob

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Chris Cunnington-4
It's present in box4 but not box3. Looks like Chris Muller added it, /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf, to box4 6 Sept 2013. Perhaps it was for that SS with Magma experiment of his? At any rate, if you add it to box3, then you should be able to proceed.

Chris

On Jun 20, 2014, at 10:14 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. Works for me. I added that, /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf to my Dell Sputnik Ubuntu and the VMs that hitherto would not start, cogmtlinuxht and coglinuxht in the 3000 series, start just fine. Very nice.
>
> Chris
>
> On Jun 20, 2014, at 9:48 PM, Bob Westergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>>> Operation not permitted
>>
>>> From the source:
>>
>>   http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c?revision=2935&view=markup#l360
>>
>> it looks like maybe you do not have permissions to set thread
>> priorities.  Did you configure /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf?  If
>> not, then there are some instructions here:
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/New-Cog-VMs-available-td4701895.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> -- Bob

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

timrowledge

On 20-06-2014, at 7:14 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. Works for me. I added that, /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf to my Dell Sputnik Ubuntu and the VMs that hitherto would not start, cogmtlinuxht and coglinuxht in the 3000 series, start just fine. Very nice.

On Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi the *no* thread version interacts very badly with the interrupts used by the ALSA sounds system os it’s fortunate that the current Pi kernel supports the thread priority firking. It would be interesting to know if there are similar problems on other system. I suspect there might be since I found quite a few complaints about ALSA on x86 while researching the issue.

tim
Science adjusts its views based on what is observed. Faith denies observation so belief can be preserved

On 21 June 2014 01:48, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot,
>
> I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
> and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
> the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:
>
>    http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console
>
> but the error itself is this:
>
>    pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
> Operation not permitted
>

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-June/178611.html
>
> There are three Cogs, right:
>
> coglinux
> coglinuxht
> cogmtlinuxht
>
> I have encountered the same problem testing for Altitude on Ubuntu. Exact
> same error as you can see from the link attached. This only happens with
> cogllinuxht and cogmtlinuxht. The quickest way to solve your problem is to
> switch from coglinuxht, which you are using, to coglinux.

Yeah, but given the job's purpose is to test cogspurlinuxht, that
would be pointless :)

frank

On 21 June 2014 03:14, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. Works for me. I added that, /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf to my Dell Sputnik Ubuntu and the VMs that hitherto would not start, cogmtlinuxht and coglinuxht in the 3000 series, start just fine. Very nice.
>
> Chris
>
> On Jun 20, 2014, at 9:48 PM, Bob Westergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>  pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>>> Operation not permitted
>>
>>> From the source:
>>
>>    http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c?revision=2935&view=markup#l360
>>
>> it looks like maybe you do not have permissions to set thread
>> priorities.  Did you configure /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf?  If
>> not, then there are some instructions here:
>>
>>  http://forum.world.st/New-Cog-VMs-available-td4701895.html

Thanks Bob for the hint, and thanks Chris for testing it out. I'll see
if that helps.

frank

>> Regards,
>> -- Bob

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Frank,

    (Bob, thanks for your reply).

So this is always described in the README on my website, see e.g. http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3006/README.3006.  I *could* put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.  What do y'all think?

--
best,
Eliot

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Chris Cunnington-4

On Jun 21, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Frank,

    (Bob, thanks for your reply).

[...]

I think I should learnt to read the manual. I'll make a point of reading the README in future.

Chris

--
best,
Eliot

On 21-06-2014, at 11:06 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   I *could* put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.  What do y'all think?

Well one *could* probably go even further and use the thread stuff if possible and the ticker stuff otherwise. Certainly even more work, but t’would reduce ‘support calls’.

tim
Strange OpCodes: BDC: Break Down and Cry

Re: Cog Spur Linux pthread error?

Ben Coman
Eliot Miranda wrote:
Hi Frank,

    (Bob, thanks for your reply).

[...]

I won't comment on the need or not, but if you do something, the general philosphy is to code for behaviour rather than particular versions of something.  I guess you know that already :) and there are constraints on that.  (and I'm just thinking out loud.)
cheers -ben

On 21 June 2014 19:06, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
>     (Bob, thanks for your reply).
>

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
>> and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
>> the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:
>>
>>     http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console
>>
>> but the error itself is this:
>>
>>     pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>> Operation not permitted
>>
>> and the process exited with status 22.
>>
>> Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
>> through to work around the problem?
>

> So this is always described in the README on my website, see e.g.
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3006/README.3006.  I *could*
> put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether
> /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error
> message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.
> What do y'all think?

I should have read the readme.

I do have an additional newbie question though: the readme says "log
out and back in again", which is fine for a user. In my case I'm not a
user, I'm a Jenkins service. I thought the equivalent would be
"restart Jenkins", which I did, and has apparently been insufficient.
Anyhow, _as a user_ I can now run cogspur on build.squeak.org. I'll
fight with Jenkins a bit more and see if I can get _Jenkins_ to do so.

frank

On 22 June 2014 19:40, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 June 2014 19:06, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>>     (Bob, thanks for your reply).
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Eliot,
>>>
>>> I thought I'd take a stab at setting up a CI job for Spur VM+Image,
>>> and after futzing around with filenames, got an actual execution of
>>> the VM. And then things broke. The full output's here:
>>>
>>>     http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/6/console
>>>
>>> but the error itself is this:
>>>
>>>     pthread_setschedparam failed; consider using ITIMER_HEARTBEAT:
>>> Operation not permitted
>>>
>>> and the process exited with status 22.
>>>
>>> Is this a simple thing to fix? Any idea what hoops I need to jump
>>> through to work around the problem?
>>

>> So this is always described in the README on my website, see e.g.
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3006/README.3006.  I *could*
>> put checks in the VM that saw if the kernel was >- 2.6.13 and whether
>> /etc/security/limits.d/VM.conf existed and issue a more helpful error
>> message.  But this is work and I feel like the README should be sufficient.
>> What do y'all think?
>
> I should have read the readme.
>
> I do have an additional newbie question though: the readme says "log
> out and back in again", which is fine for a user. In my case I'm not a
> user, I'm a Jenkins service. I thought the equivalent would be
> "restart Jenkins", which I did, and has apparently been insufficient.
> Anyhow, _as a user_ I can now run cogspur on build.squeak.org. I'll
> fight with Jenkins a bit more and see if I can get _Jenkins_ to do so.

Ah, silly me. Of course, what you need is a process restart, which
means stopping the service, and starting it again. So now we have a
running Cog Spur! It's also showing something interesting, in the form
of a segfault at
http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/12/console:

Smalltalk stack dump:
0xbf8e1ad4 M [] in AllocationTest>testOutOfMemorySignal 0x77615df8:
a(n) AllocationTest
0xbf8e1b10 I Interval>collect: 0x776c2a28: a(n) Interval
0xbf8e1b30 M [] in AllocationTest>testOutOfMemorySignal 0x77615df8:
a(n) AllocationTest

frank