Cog VM Performance

12

Re: Float oddities

David T. Lewis
I am not too familiar with Mac, so this is a case of the blind leading the blind.
But for purposes of trying your test, as long as you have decompressed the file,
you would then find the VM executable along with loadable plugins in a folder
called Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/. The actual
executable file in that folder is called "squeakvm".

If you were to copy your image, changes file, and a sources file into that
same directory, you should be able to run the VM directly in that folder. I
don't know if you can just drag the image onto the squeakvm executable in
a finder window (probably yes, but I'm not sure). Otherwise, you can open
a Terminal window, use the "cd" command to change into the directory that
contains your VM and image, and run it with a command like this:

$ ./squeakvm myimage.image

Dave

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:29:39PM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:

> I'm not familiar enough with unix to know what to do with that. It
> decompresses to a folder hierarchy; not clear what the magic button is.
>
> Cheers,
> Bob
>
> On 9/27/13 9:08 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >Could you try Squeak 4.4 with
> >Ian's unix Mac VM from squeakvm.org and see if you get different results?
> >
> >   http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386.tar.gz

Re: Float oddities

Bob Arning-2

On 9/28/13 11:04 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I am not too familiar with Mac, so this is a case of the blind leading the blind.
> But for purposes of trying your test, as long as you have decompressed the file,
> you would then find the VM executable along with loadable plugins in a folder
> called Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/. The actual
> executable file in that folder is called "squeakvm".
>
> If you were to copy your image, changes file, and a sources file into that
> same directory, you should be able to run the VM directly in that folder. I
> don't know if you can just drag the image onto the squeakvm executable in
> a finder window (probably yes, but I'm not sure).
Doe not appear so.
>   Otherwise, you can open
> a Terminal window, use the "cd" command to change into the directory that
> contains your VM and image, and run it with a command like this:
>
> $ ./squeakvm myimage.image
This appears to be a job for experts

robert-arnings-computer:4.10.2-2614 bob$ ./squeakvm Squeak4.4-12327.image
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/Z/Desktop/FreeType//lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
   Referenced from:
/Users/bob/squeak/SECOG/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/./squeakvm
   Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

Cheers,
Bob

> Dave
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:29:39PM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:
>> I'm not familiar enough with unix to know what to do with that. It
>> decompresses to a folder hierarchy; not clear what the magic button is.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bob
>>
>> On 9/27/13 9:08 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>>> Could you try Squeak 4.4 with
>>> Ian's unix Mac VM from squeakvm.org and see if you get different results?
>>>
>>>    http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386.tar.gz

Re: Float oddities

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
On 28/09/2013, at 11:09, Bob Arning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/28/13 11:04 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> I am not too familiar with Mac, so this is a case of the blind leading the blind.
>> But for purposes of trying your test, as long as you have decompressed the file,
>> you would then find the VM executable along with loadable plugins in a folder
>> called Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/. The actual
>> executable file in that folder is called "squeakvm".
>>
>> If you were to copy your image, changes file, and a sources file into that
>> same directory, you should be able to run the VM directly in that folder. I
>> don't know if you can just drag the image onto the squeakvm executable in
>> a finder window (probably yes, but I'm not sure).
> Doe not appear so.
>>  Otherwise, you can open
>> a Terminal window, use the "cd" command to change into the directory that
>> contains your VM and image, and run it with a command like this:
>>
>> $ ./squeakvm myimage.image
> This appears to be a job for experts
>
> robert-arnings-computer:4.10.2-2614 bob$ ./squeakvm Squeak4.4-12327.image
> dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/Z/Desktop/FreeType//lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Users/bob/squeak/SECOG/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-darwin10.8.0_i386/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2614/./squeakvm
>  Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap: 5
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

I download the VM and then run without problems, the VM is an XWindow application, so needs to have a X11 server installed, Apple included that as an optional install in versions before 10.8, now you need to install from the XQuartz project:

> https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

the libfreetype.6.dylib library not found is included in XQuartz who put a soft link in /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib.

12