Cog VM app icon

Igor Stasenko

Hello,

i almost done with generating an app bundle for Cog VM , and i found
that it is using
a Croquet Icon.
Which doesn't seems right to me.
I remember there was a guy , who presented a nice cog icon and other graphics..
anyone knows where i can find them?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Cog VM app icon

Igor Stasenko

Ok, i found one

http://daniel.lanovaz.org/Site/Blog/Blog.html

but there is no icons of any sort , just an animation :(

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Mariano Martinez Peck

Hi Igor. For Pharo, you can check in the "media" folder of: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

For Squeak, you can just take a normal squeak VM, take the app, right button, show package content, and then navigate to /Contents/Resources

There you will see all the .icns  files

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

i almost done with generating an app bundle for Cog VM , and i found
that it is using
a Croquet Icon.
Which doesn't seems right to me.
I remember there was a guy , who presented a nice cog icon and other graphics..
anyone knows where i can find them?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Igor Stasenko

Yes. Pharo seems having nice icons

I like the 'pharo-icon.icns' which can be found in:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22309/pharo.zip

But that is for Pharo.

I think that Cog VM deserves to have own default icon.
And only if it packaged with some other stuff (like pharo-one-click)
it then could be changed
to something else like pharo icon.

The only logo i found is on Eliot's blog page
http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/LooneyCogSketchSolidSmall.gif

But its dimensions is 125px × 145px

It would be good have it in high res, like 512 × 512 (one of the Mac's
standard icon size)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cog VM app icon

EstebanLM

well, you can use this:

or this:

or this:

or well... search cog on icon finder and pick whichever likes you more :)

Cheers,
Esteban

On 24 December 2010 20:00, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> well, you can use this:
> http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/49631/128/cog_wheel_gear_preferences_settings_icon
> or this:
> http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/1974/128/gear_cog_icon
> or this:
> http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/43233/128/1_cog_gear_monotone_settings_icon
> or well... search cog on icon finder and pick whichever likes you more :)

Thanks, but i'd prefer an authentic one :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Yanni Chiu

On 24/12/10 11:40 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> The only logo i found is on Eliot's blog page
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/LooneyCogSketchSolidSmall.gif

Nice logo. Though with a quarter turn, it looks like it will fall apart.
Maybe the C-cog can be made whole with a neutral shade or an outline.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes. Pharo seems having nice icons

I like the 'pharo-icon.icns' which can be found in:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22309/pharo.zip

But that is for Pharo.

I think that Cog VM deserves to have own default icon.
And only if it packaged with some other stuff (like pharo-one-click)
it then could be changed
to something else like pharo icon.

The only logo i found is on Eliot's blog page
http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/LooneyCogSketchSolidSmall.gif

But its dimensions is 125px × 145px

It would be good have it in high res, like 512 × 512 (one of the Mac's
standard icon size)

that would be my preference.  The Croquet icon came from the desire to brand Teleplace's Cog VM as a Croquet VM because we're using Croquet.  But if we're going to use a different icon I would very much like it to be derived from the looney gears CoG in a wheel idea.  It's distinctive and Cog is a good name for a VM (for lots of reasons).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Igor Stasenko

On 24 December 2010 22:30, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes. Pharo seems having nice icons
>>
>> I like the 'pharo-icon.icns' which can be found in:
>>
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22309/pharo.zip
>>
>> But that is for Pharo.
>>
>> I think that Cog VM deserves to have own default icon.
>> And only if it packaged with some other stuff (like pharo-one-click)
>> it then could be changed
>> to something else like pharo icon.
>>
>> The only logo i found is on Eliot's blog page
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/LooneyCogSketchSolidSmall.gif
>>
>> But its dimensions is 125px × 145px
>>
>> It would be good have it in high res, like 512 × 512 (one of the Mac's
>> standard icon size)
>
> that would be my preference.  The Croquet icon came from the desire to brand Teleplace's Cog VM as a Croquet VM because we're using Croquet.  But if we're going to use a different icon I would very much like it to be derived from the looney gears CoG in a wheel idea.  It's distinctive and Cog is a good name for a VM (for lots of reasons).

So, do you have the original vector file(s) of it?

One of the reasons to have distinct icon is when you running multiple
images/vms, you can make a difference.

I think that with auto-build , we can even do a little trick, like add
a version subtitle to icon.
So, each distinct version build VM will have own original icon.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Casey Ransberger-2

You might try increasing the size of the image by around 8x, applying a healthy amount of gaussian blur, and then cutting the size of the image in half. I've had some success blowing up images this way without them looking low rez. Just a thought.

On Dec 24, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. Pharo seems having nice icons
>
> I like the 'pharo-icon.icns' which can be found in:
>
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22309/pharo.zip
>
> But that is for Pharo.
>
> I think that Cog VM deserves to have own default icon.
> And only if it packaged with some other stuff (like pharo-one-click)
> it then could be changed
> to something else like pharo icon.
>
> The only logo i found is on Eliot's blog page
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/images/LooneyCogSketchSolidSmall.gif
>
> But its dimensions is 125px × 145px
>
> It would be good have it in high res, like 512 × 512 (one of the Mac's
> standard icon size)
>
> On 24 December 2010 17:24, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Igor. For Pharo, you can check in the "media" folder of:
>> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>>
>> For Squeak, you can just take a normal squeak VM, take the app, right
>> button, show package content, and then navigate to /Contents/Resources
>>
>> There you will see all the .icns  files
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i almost done with generating an app bundle for Cog VM , and i found
>>> that it is using
>>> a Croquet Icon.
>>> Which doesn't seems right to me.
>>> I remember there was a guy , who presented a nice cog icon and other
>>> graphics..
>>> anyone knows where i can find them?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Igor Stasenko

On 24 December 2010 23:22, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might try increasing the size of the image by around 8x, applying a healthy amount of gaussian blur, and then cutting the size of the image in half. I've had some success blowing up images this way without them looking low rez. Just a thought.

noo.. that would be even uglier than sketch.
temporarily i put a cog [1] from free icons site, but i wait for
Daniel Lovaz, who's having an original vector version (i hope),
to reply here or privately about fate of the Cog logo he made.

[1] http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/6064/128/cog_gear_wheel_icon

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Cog VM app icon

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> You might try increasing the size of the image by around 8x, applying a healthy amount of gaussian blur, and then cutting the size of the image in half. I've had some success blowing up images this way without them looking low rez. Just a thought.

It probably better to vectorize the existing bitmap image and resize the
vectorized version.

Levente