Cog takes over .image files on Mac

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hi,

When I download Cog 5.8b6, after opening a cog image, it gets associated with all .image files even if I never requested it to.  Then, when I try to open one of many non-cog images, I get an Apple error report.  If I open a Finder information dialog on a .image file and set the non-Cog VM to open all .image files, it doesn't work.  I'm using Mac OS 10.6.4.

Has anyone else experienced this?  How can this be fixed?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Cog takes over .image files on Mac

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

When I download Cog 5.8b6, after opening a cog image, it gets associated
with all .image files even if I never requested it to.  Then, when I try to
open one of many non-cog images, I get an Apple error report.  If I open a
Finder information dialog on a .image file and set the non-Cog VM to open
all .image files, it doesn't work.  I'm using Mac OS 10.6.4.

Has anyone else experienced this?  How can this be fixed?

It can't be "fixed" as it's part of the Mac architecture that the most recent application that associates itself with a particular filetype becomes the system default.  To work around it do a Get Properties on an image file, then use the Open With dropdown to select a different VM and click Change All.

Sean

Re: Cog takes over .image files on Mac

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Eliot Miranda-2 wrote
> If I open a
> Finder information dialog on a .image file and set the non-Cog VM to open
> all .image files, it doesn't work.  I'm using Mac OS 10.6.4.

To work around it do a Get Properties on an image file,
then use the Open With dropdown to select a different VM and click Change
All.
Finder information dialog = Get Properties (at least in my world, lol).

So the problem is that Cog associates itself with .image files /in the first place/, because I never specified that.  Also, trying to change back with Get Properties has no effect.

I'm having trouble reproducing it, it seems to happen intermittently.  Will update...

Sean

p.s. what it felt like (i.e. I made up) was happening was that Mac OS X thought they were the same app, if that helps ;-)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Cog takes over .image files on Mac

Randal L. Schwartz

Sean> p.s. what it felt like (i.e. I made up) was happening was that Mac OS X
Sean> thought they were the same app, if that helps ;-)

Maybe they both have the same OSX app code?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Cog takes over .image files on Mac

Bert Freudenberg

On 27.09.2010, at 22:49, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Sean> p.s. what it felt like (i.e. I made up) was happening was that Mac OS X
> Sean> thought they were the same app, if that helps ;-)
>
> Maybe they both have the same OSX app code?

They do. It's just version 5 of the Squeak VM. It's expected to become the new default.

- Bert -