Collecting actions for RC2

stephane ducasse-2
Hi

I would like to collect a bunch of actions that should be done for
ReleaseCandidate2
So please reply to this email with code snippet.

Stef

PS: Goran can you have a look at SM damien mentioned to me

Mettre à jour le map:
---------------------
SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates

Mettre à jour les packages installés:
-------------------------------------
SMSqueakMap default upgradeOldPackages

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

Göran Krampe
Hi!

stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to collect a bunch of actions that should be done for
> ReleaseCandidate2
> So please reply to this email with code snippet.
>

> Stef
>
> PS: Goran can you have a look at SM damien mentioned to me
>

> Mettre à jour le map:
> ---------------------
> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates
>

> Mettre à jour les packages installés:
> -------------------------------------
> SMSqueakMap default upgradeOldPackages

Ok, I don't have time at this exact moment to make sure it is perfectly
clean BUT:

        SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.

This will first dowload the current map at the time of running the
update (important to understand what that means), upgrade all
*installed* packages according to SM, and then purge the map which is a
good thing to do in an image about to be distributed. It saves more than
1Mb of saved image!

Also notice that since I "fixed" the transparency bug of the loader
yesterday it will suddenly work fine (since it gets upgraded).

NOTE: Since the upgradeOldPackages method will upgrade all installed
packages to any newer available releases *at the time of running the
above snippet* - this snippet will not do the exact same thing very time
it is run. If you want it to be "repeatable" instead then I need more
time to give you a snippet with one line per package release we want to
install. Easy done, but I am pressed right now, perhaps someone else can
do that.

regards, Göran

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

Chris Muller
Yeeooww!  Somehow this slipped through the cracks.

http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1621

Somehow only part of the above code, the new SUnit test, got included in 7061.  The test fails because the actual fix code did not get included.  Would you mind file in the all the code attached to the above and include this in the next RC?

Thanks..

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

stephane ducasse-2
hi chris

here is what roel told me about your mail:

"Stef, I am trying to understand the problem by looking at the URL
mentioned in the mail. I downloaded the RC1 image for 3.9 (7061), and
ran all the tests, but they seem to work (and there is a test for the
class renames). So I do not really know what I can do ?

On 03 Oct 2006, at 14:38, stephane ducasse wrote:
"

On 4 oct. 06, at 09:31, Roel Wuyts wrote:

> Hello Chris, hello Stephane
>
> Two things for Chris, one thing for Stephane (or for Chris):
>
> 1- I am investigating your fix, and it looks ok. One question
> though: did you have a deliberate reason to add a new method
> SystemDictionary>>#renameClass:from: instead of updating the method
> SystemDictionary>>#renameClass:as: ?   (probably the method -but
> not your fix of course- got renamed)
>
> 2- I am a bit worried about your remark about the obsolete class
> and the bad event handler, but I cannot reproduce it. It would
> interest me to have a look at it, since this is indeed something
> which should not occur. Do you still have an image with this
> problem ? A way to reproduce it (I tried running tests several
> times in different orders but to no avail).
>
> 3- Stephane, yesterday I opened the 7061 image, opened the
> TestRunner, did select all and ran all tests : they all passed. Yet
> when I ran the test manually, as mentioned in Chris' mail, it
> indeed fails. Does this mean that not all tests are included in
> this TestRunner (intentionally, as a feature), or is there some
> problem with the TestRunner ?

this is strange and I do not know.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Roel
>
> On 04 Oct 2006, at 05:30, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Thanks Stef for the quick response.
>>
>> Roel, how can I help?  The test that is failing is
>> ClassRenameFixTest.  The test demonstrates a problem with the
>> SystemChangeNotifier, that it signals the rename event while the
>> system in in an inconsistent state.  For a detailed explanation:
>>
>>     http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-
>> June/079418.html
>>
>> If you run the test in a stock 3.9-7061 image
>>
>>     ClassRenameFixTest run: #testRenameClassUsingClass.
>>
>> it fails because the actual fix code did not get included in the
>> image.
>>
>> All you need to do is file-in the latest file associated with the
>> Mantis bug, ClassRenameFix6#2004.3.cs.gz.
>>
>> This fixes the bug, except...  (...whew! after 2 hours of
>> investigation...) - for the test case to pass, a "bad event
>> handler" (apparently) from a prior run of this test must be
>> removed from the SystemChangeNotifier in the 3.9-7061 image (it
>> references an Obsolete class, not good).  The #tearDown removes it
>> so I don't know how this got stuck in there.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter, the easiest way to get rid of it:
>>
>>     SystemChangeNotifier uniqueInstance noMoreNotificationsFor:
>>         (((((SystemChangeNotifier uniqueInstance instVarNamed:
>> 'eventSource') instVarNamed: 'actionMap') at: #classRenamedEvent:)
>> at: 8) at: 1)
>>
>> Now the test passes, demonstrating that the rename event is now
>> called when the system is consistent.
>>
>> To summarize:
>>
>>   1) file in ClassRenameFix6#2004.3.cs.gz from the Mantis bug
>> (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1621)
>>   2) execute the above SystemChangeNotifier noMoreNotificationsFor...
>>   3) see that the test passes
>>
>> I have been interested in getting this fix into standard Squeak
>> since June, 2004.  It will allow Magma users to develop code,
>> including now renaming (persistent) classes, while connected to
>> the database.
>>
>> If there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks..

Hi all

I'm planning to do RC2 so far I plan to include
        - breakpoint fix of tim
        - rename class cs of tim
        - ClassRenameFixTest fix when roel tells me what to do
        - And we need a nice welcome test. Please provide one.

        - SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.

So please consider writing the welcome....

Stef

>> Mettre à jour le map:
>> ---------------------
>> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates
>>

>> Mettre à jour les packages installés:
>> -------------------------------------
>> SMSqueakMap default upgradeOldPackages
>
> Ok, I don't have time at this exact moment to make sure it is
> perfectly
> clean BUT:
>
> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>

> This will first dowload the current map at the time of running the
> update (important to understand what that means), upgrade all
> *installed* packages according to SM, and then purge the map which
> is a
> good thing to do in an image about to be distributed. It saves more
> than
> 1Mb of saved image!
>
> Also notice that since I "fixed" the transparency bug of the loader
> yesterday it will suddenly work fine (since it gets upgraded).
>
> NOTE: Since the upgradeOldPackages method will upgrade all installed
> packages to any newer available releases *at the time of running the
> above snippet* - this snippet will not do the exact same thing very
> time
> it is run. If you want it to be "repeatable" instead then I need more
> time to give you a snippet with one line per package release we
> want to
> install. Easy done, but I am pressed right now, perhaps someone
> else can
> do that.
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

Damien Cassou-3
stephane ducasse a écrit :
> I'm planning to do RC2 so far I plan to include
>     - breakpoint fix of tim
>     - rename class cs of tim
>     - ClassRenameFixTest fix when roel tells me what to do
>     - And we need a nice welcome test. Please provide one.
>
>     - SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.

Simon Michael wrote me this:

"
Please remove the modules.squeakfoundation.org repo from MC. It's dead,
which means MC hangs during certain operations. (I noticed it while
trying to load MagmaServerLoader from squeaksource.)
"

You may want to remove those repositories in your RC2.

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

timrowledge

On 5-Oct-06, at 12:07 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm planning to do RC2 so far I plan to include
> - breakpoint fix of tim
> - rename class cs of tim
> - ClassRenameFixTest fix when roel tells me what to do
> - And we need a nice welcome test. Please provide one.
>
> - SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>

> So please consider writing the welcome....

I'll try to make a pass at that tomorrow morning.

It looks like Goran has probably fixed the problem referred to in
mantis #3445 but my comments on the nastiness of #paneColor stand!

tim
We can rescue a hostage or bankrupt a system. Now, what would you
like us to do?

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

stephane ducasse-2
Ok!
No stress but we need to move forward.

On 5 oct. 06, at 09:17, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 5-Oct-06, at 12:07 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm planning to do RC2 so far I plan to include
>> - breakpoint fix of tim
>> - rename class cs of tim
>> - ClassRenameFixTest fix when roel tells me what to do
>> - And we need a nice welcome test. Please provide one.
>>
>> - SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>>

>> So please consider writing the welcome....
>
> I'll try to make a pass at that tomorrow morning.
>
> It looks like Goran has probably fixed the problem referred to in
> mantis #3445 but my comments on the nastiness of #paneColor stand!
>

> tim
> We can rescue a hostage or bankrupt a system. Now, what would you
> like us to do?

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

Frank Caggiano
You may want to consider mantis #5163. Right now in 3.9 the duplicate
halo's balloon help text is missing.  The entry for that halo was
somehow removed in 3.9.

------------------------
Frank Caggiano
frankcag at crystal-objects dot com
http://www.crystal-objects.com

The best education for the best is the best education for all.
                     Robert Maynard Hutchins

Re: Collecting actions for RC2

Serge Stinckwich-4
Frank Caggiano a écrit :
> You may want to consider mantis #5163. Right now in 3.9 the duplicate
> halo's balloon help text is missing.  The entry for that halo was
> somehow removed in 3.9.

I wrote a fix for that when the list was broken.
Please find it included.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##

'From Squeak3.9gamma of ''23 July 2006'' [latest update: #7061] on 28 September 2006 at 6:56:28 pm'!

!Morph methodsFor: 'halos and balloon help' stamp: 'zz 9/28/2006 18:53'!
balloonHelpTextForHandle: aHandle
        "Answer a string providing balloon help for the
        given halo handle"
        | itsSelector |
        itsSelector := aHandle eventHandler firstMouseSelector.
        itsSelector == #doRecolor:with:
                ifTrue: [^ Preferences propertySheetFromHalo
                                ifTrue: ['Open a property sheet.']
                                ifFalse: ['Change color']].
        itsSelector == #mouseDownInDimissHandle:with:
                ifTrue: [^ Preferences preserveTrash
                                ifTrue: ['Move to trash']
                                ifFalse: ['Remove from screen']].
        #(#(#addFullHandles 'More halo handles') #(#addSimpleHandles 'Fewer halo handles') #(#chooseEmphasisOrAlignment 'Emphasis & alignment') #(#chooseFont 'Change font') #(#chooseNewGraphicFromHalo 'Choose a new graphic') #(#chooseStyle 'Change style') #(#dismiss 'Remove') #(#doDebug:with: 'Debug') #(#doDirection:with: 'Choose forward direction') #(#doDup:with: 'Duplicate') #(#doMakeSibling:with: 'Make a sibling') #(#doMenu:with: 'Menu') #(#doGrab:with: 'Pick up') #(#editButtonsScript 'See the script for this button') #(#editDrawing 'Repaint') #(#doDupOrMakeSibling:with: 'Duplicate (press shift to make a sibling)') #(#doMakeSiblingOrDup:with: 'Make a sibling (press shift to make simple duplicate)') #(#makeNascentScript 'Make a scratch script') #(#makeNewDrawingWithin 'Paint new object') #(#mouseDownInCollapseHandle:with: 'Collapse') #(#mouseDownOnHelpHandle: 'Help') #(#openViewerForArgument 'Open a Viewer for me. Press shift for a snapshot.') #(#openViewerForTarget:with: 'Open a Viewer for me. Press shift for a snapshot.') #(#paintBackground 'Paint background') #(#prepareToTrackCenterOfRotation:with: 'Move object or set center of rotation') #(#presentViewMenu 'Present the Viewing menu') #(#startDrag:with: 'Move') #(#startGrow:with: 'Change size') #(#startRot:with: 'Rotate') #(#startScale:with: 'Change scale') #(#tearOffTile 'Make a tile representing this object') #(#tearOffTileForTarget:with: 'Make a tile representing this object') #(#trackCenterOfRotation:with: 'Set center of rotation') )
                do: [:pair | itsSelector == pair first
                                ifTrue: [^ pair last]].
        ^ 'unknown halo handle'translated! !