Colored text in a Transcript?

Mike O'Brien-5
        Is there any way to write colored text to a Transcript?
I tried something like this:

Transcript show: ('red text' asText addAttribute:
        (TextColor color: Color red))

but it didn't work.

Mike O'Brien

Re: Colored text in a Transcript?

Alain Plantec
Le Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:41, Mike O'Brien a écrit :
> Is there any way to write colored text to a Transcript?
> I tried something like this:
>
> Transcript show: ('red text' asText addAttribute:
> (TextColor color: Color red))
>
> but it didn't work.
it's here : http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/364
alain

Le Wednesday 26 July 2006 21:22, Alain Plantec a écrit :
> Le Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:41, Mike O'Brien a écrit :
> > Is there any way to write colored text to a Transcript?
> > I tried something like this:
> >
> > Transcript show: ('red text' asText addAttribute:
> > (TextColor color: Color red))
> >
> > but it didn't work.
sorry but  i think it can't work with Transcript which is a WriteStream :
WriteStream>>withAttribute: att do: strmBlock
        "No-op here is overriden in TextStream for font emphasis"
        ^ strmBlock value
attributes are ignored here

and in TranscriptStream>>show: argument is converted to String :
TranscriptStream>>show: anObject  "TextCollector compatibility"
        self nextPutAll: anObject asString; endEntry

alain

> it's here : http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/364
> alain
> >
> > Mike O'Brien

Re: Colored text in a Transcript?

Klaus D. Witzel
Mike, Alain,

when I do a copy&paste from colored text in a browser to the Transcript,
all emphasis (colors, fonts, etc) is preserved.

So, Transcript supports colored text.

/Klaus

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:39:22 +0200, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Le Wednesday 26 July 2006 21:22, Alain Plantec a écrit :
>> Le Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:41, Mike O'Brien a écrit :
>> > Is there any way to write colored text to a Transcript?
>> > I tried something like this:
>> >
>> > Transcript show: ('red text' asText addAttribute:
>> > (TextColor color: Color red))
>> >
>> > but it didn't work.
> sorry but  i think it can't work with Transcript which is a WriteStream :
> WriteStream>>withAttribute: att do: strmBlock
>         "No-op here is overriden in TextStream for font emphasis"
>         ^ strmBlock value
> attributes are ignored here
>
> and in TranscriptStream>>show: argument is converted to String :
> TranscriptStream>>show: anObject  "TextCollector compatibility"
>         self nextPutAll: anObject asString; endEntry
>
> alain
>> it's here : http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/364
>> alain
>> >
>> > Mike O'Brien

Re: Re: Colored text in a Transcript?

Bert Freudenberg-3
No, Transcript does not support colored text. It uses a string
internally - what you see on screen is only the view, whereas the
Transcript (an instance of TranscriptStream) is only the model.

Of course, with a bit of effort, TranscriptStream *could* be made to
use a Text internally. See attachment ;-)

- Bert -

colorTranscript-bf.1.cs.gz (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Colored text in a Transcript?

Klaus D. Witzel
Yes, there is quite a difference between Transcript and TranscriptStream,
didn't mention TranscriptStream either ;-)

Thanks for the snippet.

/Klaus