Common/Best Practices on (Collaborative) Version Control

Common/Best Practices on (Collaborative) Version Control

Matthias Korn-4
Hi all,

we are a small group of people working together on a project in Squeak.

Now, I was wondering what the most common workflow for supporting
collaborative work in the Squeak environment is.
Like normally you would have a central SVN repository where everyone
could check their stuff in and than update and merge new stuff with
their own local repository...

As far as I understand, Monticello does all the versioning and packaging
stuff. But I currently do not see the collaborative part in that
(without sending mcz-files via eMail). Also, we do not want to publish
our project (like on SqueakSource) at this point in time. We are looking
for an internal solution.

What is generally the most common workflow to do that in Squeak?

Thanks,
Matthias

Re: Common/Best Practices on (Collaborative) Version Control

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 8/27/08 7:37 AM, "Matthias Korn" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> As far as I understand, Monticello does all the versioning and packaging
> stuff. But I currently do not see the collaborative part in that
> (without sending mcz-files via eMail). Also, we do not want to publish
> our project (like on SqueakSource) at this point in time. We are looking
> for an internal solution.
You could do in Monticello.
Each time any do a new version, send a mail to all with the attached
OurApp-aaa.nnn.mcz and put this in the local package-cache directory.
Or could use a web folder shared by all and put in this place the
package-cache.
By the way, with Comanche you could have a shared web folder with user name
and pass validation for few people.

It's not SqueakSource and can't use MonticelloBrowser, but you could work
together.

Edgar

RE: Common/Best Practices on (Collaborative) Version Control

Ramon Leon-5
> Version Control
>
> Hi all,
>
> we are a small group of people working together on a project
> in Squeak.
>
> Now, I was wondering what the most common workflow for supporting
> collaborative work in the Squeak environment is.
> Like normally you would have a central SVN repository where everyone
> could check their stuff in and than update and merge new stuff with
> their own local repository...
>
> As far as I understand, Monticello does all the versioning
> and packaging
> stuff. But I currently do not see the collaborative part in that
> (without sending mcz-files via eMail). Also, we do not want to publish
> our project (like on SqueakSource) at this point in time. We
> are looking
> for an internal solution.
>
> What is generally the most common workflow to do that in Squeak?
>

> Thanks,
> Matthias

You can have a common repository via shared directories or via nothing more
than Apache with a read write web dav folder which you use as an http
repository.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Common/Best Practices on (Collaborative) Version Control

Göran Krampe
Hi!

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> El 8/27/08 7:37 AM, "Matthias Korn" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>> As far as I understand, Monticello does all the versioning and packaging
>> stuff. But I currently do not see the collaborative part in that
>> (without sending mcz-files via eMail). Also, we do not want to publish
>> our project (like on SqueakSource) at this point in time. We are looking
>> for an internal solution.
> You could do in Monticello.
[SNIP]

First - I am not sure what Edgar is talking about - perhaps he
mistakenly thought you were asking about Monticello2 which hasn't gotten
a remote repository protocol yet.

But Monticello deals *just perfectly fine* with remote repositories - of
different kinds. So doing collaborative work using Monticello is really
easy.

In Gjallar we just serve a directory with all snapshots using Apache -
readonly for the public. And then we access the exact same dir using
pureFtpd - a really nice ftp daemon. This way we can give out a
username/password for a selected set of committers.

But if you work internally in a company the *trivial* way to share is by
using a shared file directory on some file server. That's it.

regards, Göran

El 8/27/08 5:29 PM, "Göran Krampe" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> But if you work internally in a company the *trivial* way to share is by
> using a shared file directory on some file server. That's it.
>
> regards, Göran

> You can have a common repository via shared directories or via nothing more
> than Apache with a read write web dav folder which you use as an http
> repository.
>
> Ramon Leon

> Or could use a web folder shared by all and put in this place the
> package-cache.

>Edgar

So all give the same advice with different words :=)