Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

123

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

marten
Comparisions have always problems. But at least an attempt to make one
and I would like to thank Janko for this. One can improve it - but
actually nothing to scream about ... it's just Smalltalk and as everyone
knows: Smalltalk is only a very, very small part of the IT world ;-)

Marten

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

AA-2
Incidentally, is this sheet set to 'view only'?  I can't edit anything!

Comparison, how to contribute (was Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad...)

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

The simplest way to contribute is to do a copy this spreadsheet and edit
it, so:

1. copy this spreadsheet on your own one, edit, then post link here:

   - login to http://docs.google.com with your google account
   - go to comparison spreadsheet [1]
   - File -> Create Copy
   - rename it, say Amir-Aida-Seaside-Iliad comparison
   - edit, add, rename data, add comments,
   - highlight changes by coloring them with Background color icon

2. We can also discuss here on the list each feature separately, more to
come.

I didn't wide open write access to spreadsheet, because you can imagine
what kind of changes we could expect. So, a bit more organized
contribution process is needed and above is IMO the simplest and most
effective.

Best regards
Janko

[1]
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Atnb1W9vuq9ndGRTUFIzT3VON0lTQ3JxdlZYTUxhOFE&hl=en&authkey=CJva7-8L&pli=1#gid=0

S, AA piše:
> Incidentally, is this sheet set to 'view only'?  I can't edit anything!

Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Janko Mivšek
Hi Amir,

S, AA piše:

> I'm curious about the features/differences between the three frameworks.
>
> However, the current list appears to favour Aida/Web, and has been created by you; therefore it comes across as more of an advertisement than a comparison.  When such lists are compiled by anyone with a vested interest (eg. the creator!), suspicions and criticisms will be inevitable.  It is inescapable, regardless of your intentions.

It understandably in favour to Aida, because it was started by me
comparing Aida to others. I said that upfront and it is also in
disclaimer. But I'd like to balance it so that the comparison will be
more reliable view of the state of our web frameworks. Please have in
mind this disclaimer and use the current results as a starting point to
go further.

> So this is an undertaking that must be balanced very delicately, otherwise there is a risk of becoming alienated within the Smalltalk web community.

Exactly.

> I'd say that the first thing to do when considering a comparison list is to poll others to find out which features should be compared - before even making a comparison!  There's already been some hard 'discussion' on this mailing list, yet the spreadsheet hasn't been edited to reflect those opinions.  So perhaps already people are shunning it, which makes it less valuable.

As I said, I tried that, inviting the moderator (Stef), we then invite
Nico as Iliader, one Seasider then another, so that before going public
the spreadsheet would be more balanced between us. As already said
without success, that's why me and Stef decided to go now public.

> Also, when there are fundamental differences in the way a framework approaches the problem, a discrete list of 'features' becomes meaningless.  (It's like comparing Lisp and C - a feature comparison is impossible, because they are different paradigms!)  If this is the case, then the three frameworks should be examined at a more abstract level...  Ideally by an independent entity ;-)

Yes, that's my desire too and I hope someone from academia will step out
and do that. But even he can use this comparison as the start,
considering the above mentioned disclaimer of course. Or if we manage to
balance it better, even easier for him.

> Amir

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Janko Mivšek
It is hard to expect from us others to merge into if even its author
admits that Seaside is now obsolete. That is, (from Avi words [1])
Seaside was advanced at the time it was designed, but now it lags behind
(as Ruby on Rails and others too), specially because of JavaScript/Ajax
advances. It is therefore better for Seaside to rather listen to its
author and do something. Or merge already done ideas from us others instead.

Common guys, Ajax is 5 years old, let the Seaside finally come with Ajax
support at least close to that in Iliad and Aida! Then study carefully
what Nicolas Petton and his group is working on Iliad and Jtalk. We are
doing so and incorporating but also extending his ideas in Aida. And on
the other way too, Nico is listening what we are doing. Why not you too?

The most popular Smalltalk web framework sleeping on the successes in
past is namely bad for all Smalltalk, that's why I'd like to open the
debate about the web support in Smalltalk in general.

On the web we have an opportunity, are we loosing it?

That's why I'm pushing this comparison and that's why I'd have and ESUG
talk titled "On the web frontiers with Smalltalk". And a panel is
planned too.

So, Seasiders, come to the web frontiers again by looking what
we others are doing, learn and adopt. And contribute some own innovative
ideas to the Smalltalk on the web again!

Best regards
Janko

[1]
http://www.stic.st/events/smalltalk-solutions-2011-abstracts/smalltalk-and-big-data/

S, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs piše:

> Nick,
>

> You nailed it. We all know that Smalltalk community is small and, quite
> possibly, getting smaller, whether we like it or not. The exposure that
> Avi had given to Seaside resulted in a good mass of developers coming on
> board and it becoming a de facto web framework for developing dynamic
> and powerful applications in Smalltalk. Given the state of things today,
> I would honestly much rather see competing frameworks converge on a
> single path and their developers contribute to improving Seaside in
> hopes of it continuing to sustain or gain traction, similar to how RoR
> had pretty much taken over in Rubyland.
>

> -Boris

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I don't think Avi was talking about better XHR support or clean URLs or external file serving support etcetera (even though Seaside is perfectly capable of all 3). I'm pretty sure in the age of hashbang URIs all 3 of the frameworks listed are pretty much obsolete if all you're looking for is better structured callback support to drive client-side applications (which is why I'd really like to see JTalk evolve+succeed on the front-end, then we can tackle the backend support and it'll have very little to do with either framework in its current state). We all have to keep in mind that these frameworks don't generally evolve by someone deciding to spend their time on improving the framework for frameworks' sake. Instead, the improvements are secondary to folks trying to build real applications and needing solutions to design/implementation issues that come up in that process, so regardless of what's available in spreadsheets or issue trackers, folks will only work on things that they need and consider important.

Look, I have nothing against comparisons per se and my earlier post was meant to lighten the mood a bit by taking tables to extremes to show how easy it is to tip the scales (but Stephane is, indeed, a feature and, in all seriousness, we really could use someone like him in the VisualWorks community IMHO, so, Stephane, don't take offence to being included, it was a compliment). If I were to take this further (and I'm not sure I would), I'd start by stripping the spreadsheet down to bare minimums and making it editable. Yes, it may result in some noise, but like Wikipedia, it'll eventually settle down as most of us are reasonable adults, or so I like to think anyway. The key is making it dead simple for people to contribute. In fact, I tried to go down that list yesterday to add some comments and corrections, but upon discovering that it was read-only, it was no longer 'simple enough'.

Regards,

-Boris

It is hard to expect from us others to merge into if even its author admits that Seaside is now obsolete. That is, (from Avi words [1]) Seaside was advanced at the time it was designed, but now it lags behind (as Ruby on Rails and others too), specially because of JavaScript/Ajax advances. It is therefore better for Seaside to rather listen to its author and do something. Or merge already done ideas from us others instead.

Common guys, Ajax is 5 years old, let the Seaside finally come with Ajax support at least close to that in Iliad and Aida! Then study carefully what Nicolas Petton and his group is working on Iliad and Jtalk. We are doing so and incorporating but also extending his ideas in Aida. And on the other way too, Nico is listening what we are doing. Why not you too?

The most popular Smalltalk web framework sleeping on the successes in past is namely bad for all Smalltalk, that's why I'd like to open the debate about the web support in Smalltalk in general.

On the web we have an opportunity, are we loosing it?

That's why I'm pushing this comparison and that's why I'd have and ESUG talk titled "On the web frontiers with Smalltalk". And a panel is planned too.

So, Seasiders, come to the web frontiers again by looking what we others are doing, learn and adopt. And contribute some own innovative ideas to the Smalltalk on the web again!

Best regards
Janko

[1]
http://www.stic.st/events/smalltalk-solutions-2011-abstracts/smalltalk-and-big-data/

S, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs piše:

> Nick,
>

> You nailed it. We all know that Smalltalk community is small and,
> quite possibly, getting smaller, whether we like it or not. The
> exposure that Avi had given to Seaside resulted in a good mass of
> developers coming on board and it becoming a de facto web framework
> for developing dynamic and powerful applications in Smalltalk. Given
> the state of things today, I would honestly much rather see competing
> frameworks converge on a single path and their developers contribute
> to improving Seaside in hopes of it continuing to sustain or gain
> traction, similar to how RoR had pretty much taken over in Rubyland.
>

> -Boris

So let's focus on the future - rather than on what features we currently have.
Clearly JTalk is innovative.
Anything similar you'd like to share with us?
I've heard rumours that Gilad Bracha has a Newspeak to Javascript compiler working. Anyone seen anything?

As another example, I was intrigued to learn that the web version of Angry Birds (http://chrome.angrybirds.com/) used the Java->Javascript translator in GWT (Google web toolkit) to automate the translation of (some of) the game from Java to Javascript (sadly I've lost the link). One way of looking at this, is that all web apps will potentially gain access to the libraries in the Java ecosystem; in this case JBox2D (the physics engine) on the client.

Although it's great to be able to generate Javascript from your backend, but what about making it equally easy to target Objective-C based iPhones clients, and Java based Android clients? Perhaps Lukas's Helvetia is part of the puzzle?

Regards

Nick

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Hannes Hirzel
Yes,

I think as Boris says, contribution should be easy.
The topic _is_ important. Seaside is great but not as great as it
could be**. For example I would love to have tables where people can
enter rows and terminate them with the 'Enter' key.

Maybe we could consider using etherpad for this comparison. Every
single keystroke gives a version and by hitting the 'save' button you
create a version. Rollback is possible anytime.

e.g.
http://typewith.me/

a service running Etherpad
http://www.etherpad.com/

Formatting is very simple but probably good enough. It may be beautified later.

Regards
Hannes

** It is the only Smalltalk IDE I know at the moment.

On 6/22/11, Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think Avi was talking about better XHR support or clean URLs or
> external file serving support etcetera (even though Seaside is perfectly
> capable of all 3). I'm pretty sure in the age of hashbang URIs all 3 of the
> frameworks listed are pretty much obsolete if all you're looking for is
> better structured callback support to drive client-side applications (which
> is why I'd really like to see JTalk evolve+succeed on the front-end, then we
> can tackle the backend support and it'll have very little to do with either
> framework in its current state). We all have to keep in mind that these
> frameworks don't generally evolve by someone deciding to spend their time on
> improving the framework for frameworks' sake. Instead, the improvements are
> secondary to folks trying to build real applications and needing solutions
> to design/implementation issues that come up in that process, so regardless
> of what's available in spreadsheets or issue trackers, folks will only work
> on things that they need and consider important.
>
> Look, I have nothing against comparisons per se and my earlier post was
> meant to lighten the mood a bit by taking tables to extremes to show how
> easy it is to tip the scales (but Stephane is, indeed, a feature and, in all
> seriousness, we really could use someone like him in the VisualWorks
> community IMHO, so, Stephane, don't take offence to being included, it was a
> compliment). If I were to take this further (and I'm not sure I would), I'd
> start by stripping the spreadsheet down to bare minimums and making it
> editable. Yes, it may result in some noise, but like Wikipedia, it'll
> eventually settle down as most of us are reasonable adults, or so I like to
> think anyway. The key is making it dead simple for people to contribute. In
> fact, I tried to go down that list yesterday to add some comments and
> corrections, but upon discovering that it was read-only, it was no longer
> 'simple enough'.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Boris

Johan Brichau-2
Hey everyone,

On 22 Jun 2011, at 06:29, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Consider this a scientific project. An emotion-free attitude helps. :-)

A yes/no feature-wise comparison is probably too simple for comparing sophisticated web frameworks.

Skimming through the feature list, I have the same reactions that others have because some features are just not well defined and others are immediately clear to be filled-out wrong for Seaside. Ramon named some of these.
And just to be clear: it's not an emotional reaction. I like the initiative because I would like to know more about Iliad and Aida too.

For building Yesplan, Seaside is a great framework because it offers a good level of abstraction (including over techniques like ajax - via jQuery) while at the same time it offers all the flexibility to implement complex (e.g. non-standard) ways of interacting with the web application. I can imagine that having more techniques and functionality "under the hood" (like standard widgets or the 'tab enter' that was mentioned) seems like a productivity improvement, but in my experience, such "standard components" hardly ever apply in more complex situations. Instead, if you have a flexible environment that offers just that right level of abstraction, you can build really complex applications.

I guess my bottomline is that feature comparisons tend to miss the importance of the basic design rationale of a framework: level of abstraction, flexibility, extensibility, etc..
I'm not saying that Iliad or aida do bad at those points, just that an exhaustive feature comparison misses that completely.

For comparing, it would be really good to have the same application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love to help out on that one.

best regards,
Johan_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Reza Razavi
At 14:13 22/06/2011, Janko Mivšek wrote:
That's why I'm pushing this comparison

Hi Janko,

I was wondering how your comparison criteria would compare with the "standard" web application framework comparison benchmarks like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Web_application_frameworks

Adopting a "standard" benchmark would be part of an independent comparison process.

Otherwise, Aida and Iliad are both great tools, but the continuation support provided currently only by Seaside is a must for reflective web apps as developed by "web pontoon".

Cheers,
Reza

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Hannes Hirzel
Hello to all again

On 6/22/11, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> On 22 Jun 2011, at 06:29, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>> Consider this a scientific project. An emotion-free attitude helps. :-)
>
> A yes/no feature-wise comparison is probably too simple for comparing
> sophisticated web frameworks.
>
> Skimming through the feature list, I have the same reactions that others
> have because some features are just not well defined and others are
> immediately clear to be filled-out wrong for Seaside. Ramon named some of
> these.
> And just to be clear: it's not an emotional reaction. I like the initiative
> because I would like to know more about Iliad and Aida too.

+1
I do not know about Aida and Iliad.

> For building Yesplan, Seaside is a great framework because it offers a good
> level of abstraction (including over techniques like ajax - via jQuery)
> while at the same time it offers all the flexibility to implement complex
> (e.g. non-standard) ways of interacting with the web application. I can
> imagine that having more techniques and functionality "under the hood" (like
> standard widgets or the 'tab enter' that was mentioned) seems like a
> productivity improvement, but in my experience, such "standard components"
> hardly ever apply in more complex situations. Instead, if you have a
> flexible environment that offers just that right level of abstraction, you
> can build really complex applications.

Yes, this is what I like about Seaside.
And at the same time I do not like it because to build a simple
application is an effort. And energy is wasted with doing
infrastructure things ....

People have to learn Smalltalk and in addition a framework which is
highly abstract.
This is find if you already know Smalltalk and have done projects.

> I guess my bottomline is that feature comparisons tend to miss the
> importance of the basic design rationale of a framework: level of
> abstraction, flexibility, extensibility, etc..
> I'm not saying that Iliad or aida do bad at those points, just that an
> exhaustive feature comparison misses that completely.

Yes, there tabular comparison has it's weakness, but it is a good
start. Otherwise we would not have this good discussion.

However not all items of course have the same weight.

One might try to grasp the conceptual elements with the features you mention

- level of abstraction,
- flexibility
- extensibility

And then just a text comment for each of these.

> For comparing, it would be really good to have the same application written
> in the three frameworks by experts and have the experts compare them. Hey,
> if I find the time (oeps) I would even love to help out on that one.

That would in fact be ideal. Or maybe two.

A CRUD type of application and one where Seaside shines.....

Another thing I was not aware that Aida includes a user role rights
management system out of the box.
Is there a plugin / library for Seaside which does the same.

Actually for the comparison it does not matter so much if things like
this come "bundeled" with the framework or if I have to load it as a
separate plugin.

So the aim is to have a framework to build on -- regardless if it a
one stop installation or if I have to load different components

Regards
Hannes

Catching 'Enter' key with javascript. was: [Seaside] Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Paul DeBruicker
On 06/22/2011 09:31 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> For example I would love to have tables where people can
> enter rows and terminate them with the 'Enter' key.

I don't know if this is what you have in mind but you can catch the
'Enter' key press in a text input and substitute your own behavior using
javascript.  Here is how I do it using jQuery:

(function ($) {
     $.fn.catchEnter = function () {
         $('#search').keydown(function (e) {
             if (e.keyCode == 13) {
                 e.preventDefault();
                 $('#searchButton').click();
             }
         });
     };
})(jQuery);

so when the cursor is in the #search textInput if the user presses
'Enter' the page refresh action is blocked and the search button's click
event is triggered.

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Janko Mivšek
Hi Johan,

S, Johan Brichau piše:

> On 22 Jun 2011, at 06:29, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>> Consider this a scientific project. An emotion-free attitude helps. :-)
>
> A yes/no feature-wise comparison is probably too simple for comparing sophisticated web frameworks.
>
> Skimming through the feature list, I have the same reactions that others have because some features are just not well defined and others are immediately clear to be filled-out wrong for Seaside. Ramon named some of these.
> And just to be clear: it's not an emotional reaction. I like the initiative because I would like to know more about Iliad and Aida too.
>
> For building Yesplan, Seaside is a great framework because it offers a good level of abstraction (including over techniques like ajax - via jQuery) while at the same time it offers all the flexibility to implement complex (e.g. non-standard) ways of interacting with the web application. I can imagine that having more techniques and functionality "under the hood" (like standard widgets or the 'tab enter' that was mentioned) seems like a productivity improvement, but in my experience, such "standard components" hardly ever apply in more complex situations. Instead, if you have a flexible environment that offers just that right level of abstraction, you can build really complex applications.

Such a complex situation as you have in Yesplan is actually rare, in 90%
if not 99% you have to make simple apps fast, but still using
techniquest like Ajax, recent real-time web, HTML5 etc. If you have all
this functionality nicelly integrated in a web framework, it is easy to
build those 90% of apps, yet you are up to the time, interactive, etc.
And of course web framework must always allow you to go ahead to the
level of complexity as your Yesplan app is providing, last 10% or 1%
therefore. This is a philosophy behind Aida.

> I guess my bottomline is that feature comparisons tend to miss the importance of the basic design rationale of a framework: level of abstraction, flexibility, extensibility, etc..
> I'm not saying that Iliad or aida do bad at those points, just that an exhaustive feature comparison misses that completely.

Agreed, but current form of comparison is a good start for such more
deep comparison, on the fields as you mention. At least we started :)

> For comparing, it would be really good to have the same application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love to help out on that one.

Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an idea,
what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for sure
declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Janko Mivšek
Hi Hannes,

S, H. Hirzel piše:

> I think as Boris says, contribution should be easy.

Can you try to copy that spreadsheet and then you have all the freedom
to change as you find the most appropriate? It is really easy, here are
instructions:

http://forum.world.st/Comparison-of-Aida-Web-Seaside-and-Iliad-web-frameworks-tp3615190p3616526.html

We can then merge back together with discussing in depth here. Comments
on the spreadsheet are also welcome, I'm following them. Just click That
bar top right, "Anonymous user is .."

Best Regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nick,

S, Nick Ager piše:

>     On the web we have an opportunity, are we loosing it?
>
>     That's why I'm pushing this comparison and that's why I'd have and ESUG
>     talk titled "On the web frontiers with Smalltalk". And a panel is
>     planned too.
>

> So let's focus on the future - rather than on what features we currently
> have.

Yes, but first you need to assess the present. As I said I started
comparison to asses Aida strengths and weaknesses right with a goal to
plan the direction for the future.

> Clearly JTalk is innovative.
> Anything similar you'd like to share with us?

Certainly the seamless Ajax integration, then maybe unified
communication between client and server (Ajax, Comet, WebSocket over the
same unified channel), extending the browser's event loop to the server
(basic idea behind node.js), then of course incorporating Jtalk into the
whole picture. And not forget the support for HTML features like
geolocation, offline, local store, canvas, etc etc.

> I've heard rumours that Gilad Bracha has a Newspeak to Javascript
> compiler working. Anyone seen anything?

We have now Jtalk which will be actively supported and used in real
projects soon, so I'd bet on Jtalk alone.

> As another example, I was intrigued to learn that the web version of
> Angry Birds (http://chrome.angrybirds.com/) used the Java->Javascript
> translator in GWT (Google web toolkit) to automate the translation of
> (some of) the game from Java to Javascript (sadly I've lost the link).
> One way of looking at this, is that all web apps will potentially gain
> access to the libraries in the Java ecosystem; in this case JBox2D (the
> physics engine) on the client.

Angry birds as a web app is one of the clearest signs that web
technologies are now able to replace native apps even for such demanding
examples as a game like Angry birds is. What we can do is to experiment
towards supporting such game development from our frameworks? This would
be a real stress test of them!

About GWT and Java in general: I'd skip it and rather concentrate on
JavaScript on server instead. With Google V8 engine and node.js momentum
we will soon have a plethora of JS libraries too, also those connecting
to Java ecosystem.

> Although it's great to be able to generate Javascript from your backend,
> but what about making it equally easy to target Objective-C based
> iPhones clients, and Java based Android clients? Perhaps
> Lukas's Helvetia is part of the puzzle?

Here the PhoneGap is IMO the easiest way to go. That is, a web app
packaged to look like native one. With all HTML5 support like
geolocation, filesystem etc of course.

Best regards
Janko

On 6/22/11, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> For comparing, it would be really good to have the same application
>> written in the three frameworks by experts and have the experts compare
>> them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love to help out on that
>> one.
>
> Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an idea,
> what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for sure
> declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
> multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
> basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
> cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

Hello Janko

Maybe a sample application which is combination of both your suggestions :-).

A kind of more elaborate ToDo list (cf. the Seaside example in the tutorial)

Features:
- Multi-user
- The users see a list of ToDo items and sees to whom they are assigned.
- In a chat area they can discuss about the items and reassign them accordingly.
- Some views/reports (current tasks, my tasks, finished tasks, task in
a particular month).

If you want more
- A wiki in addition
- A glossary (special terms in the reports are automatically
hyper-linked to a glossary entry)

Best regards
Hannes

P.S. I am sure that other people have better ideas.
I have no idea how much time this takes to implement in Aida/Web. In
Seaside it is quite an effort.

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

Göran Krampe
Hi guys!

On 06/22/2011 10:42 PM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> I've heard rumours that Gilad Bracha has a Newspeak to Javascript
>> compiler working. Anyone seen anything?
>
> We have now Jtalk which will be actively supported and used in real
> projects soon, so I'd bet on Jtalk alone.

Let me chip in a few observations here:

- We have seen a few st->js compilers:
        StToJs (?), Quicksilver and now Jtalk

- Jtalk is IMHO clearly the most interesting because:
        - It has a working IDE which is quite impressive already.
        - It is written mainly in itself and thus very friendly to hack
        - It is going places.

- Jtalk is a Smalltalk but it cooperates with Javascript and *that* is
key to success here. We are currently working on making that works even
smoother.

- Javascript is taking off BIG TIME. Just look at Node.js and V8, HTML5
etc etc. We as Smalltalkers need to be in on it!

[SNIP]
> About GWT and Java in general: I'd skip it and rather concentrate on
> JavaScript on server instead. With Google V8 engine and node.js momentum
> we will soon have a plethora of JS libraries too, also those connecting
> to Java ecosystem.

They are ALREADY HERE. Just look at this:

        https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/modules

...and:

        http://search.npmjs.org/

I mean, come on! 2543 packages!

I am convinced that the future on both the web and in our pads and
phones is going to be mainly Javascript in Webkit running using
callbacks into backends that in many setups will be written in
Javascript too - and probably in Node.js.

...which is why Jtalk is so DARN interesting. We aren't talking only
client side. I have already added server side examples on top of Node.js
to Nicolas repository including a command line "compiler" using Node.js
etc etc.

So I say, come on in and join the Jtalk party. It is fun!

regards, Göran

On 22 Jun 2011, at 22:42, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> Clearly JTalk is innovative.
>> Anything similar you'd like to share with us?
>
> Certainly the seamless Ajax integration,

I absolutely agree. I have been tampering with that some time ago because we made something application-specific for Yesplan that I think can be refactored and integrated into Seaside itself. In addition, we need something like the jquery history plugin to cooperate with Seaside's continuations because our users hit that back button all the time, which gives quite strange results when you did a lot of ajax updates since the last full request.

I just

On 23 Jun 2011, at 09:28, Johan Brichau wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2011, at 22:42, Janko Mivšek wrote:
>
>>> Clearly JTalk is innovative.
>>> Anything similar you'd like to share with us?
>>
>> Certainly the seamless Ajax integration,
>
> I absolutely agree. I have been tampering with that some time ago because we made something application-specific for Yesplan that I think can be refactored and integrated into Seaside itself. In addition, we need something like the jquery history plugin to cooperate with Seaside's continuations because our users hit that back button all the time, which gives quite strange results when you did a lot of ajax updates since the last full request.
>
> I just

oops... I inadvertently send my draft
What I still wanted to add:

I just arranged my travels for ESUG and will attend the Seaside sprint. It would be great if we can work on new features like the one I mentioned for Seaside.

cheers,
Johan_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: Comparison of Aida/Web, Seaside and Iliad web frameworks

garduino
Interesting thread.

A thing I've not read about in the above mails is about security (even
when is named in the spreadsheet).

In my opinion, it's also a framework responsability to provide some
helps to avoid common problems of our
days (as cross site scripting, injections, etc). Also autenthication.

2011/6/22 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> On 6/22/11, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> For comparing, it would be really good to have the same application
>>> written in the three frameworks by experts and have the experts compare
>>> them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love to help out on that
>>> one.
>>
>> Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an idea,
>> what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for sure
>> declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
>> multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
>> basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
>> cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>

> Hello Janko
>
> Maybe a sample application which is combination of both your suggestions :-).
>

> A kind of more elaborate ToDo list (cf. the Seaside example in the tutorial)
>
> Features:
> - Multi-user
> - The users see a list of ToDo items and sees to whom they are assigned.
> - In a chat area they can discuss about the items and reassign them accordingly.
> - Some views/reports (current tasks, my tasks, finished tasks, task in
> a particular month).
>
> If you want more
> - A wiki in addition
> - A glossary (special terms in the reports are automatically
> hyper-linked to a glossary entry)
>
> Best regards
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I am sure that other people have better ideas.
> I have no idea how much time this takes to implement in Aida/Web. In
> Seaside it is quite an effort.

Build a real world application to compare it's also a good idea.

I my own experience, with my own customers, the far more asked
solution is allways related with different sort of ERP's.

A good step in this way in my opinion is the work of the guys of
SmallPOS (http://www.squeaksource.com/SmallPOS/)

Things as invoices, stock, current accounts, billing, bank, finances,
production chain, etc, with plenty of relationship between
data (aka objects) and lot of different sort of forms (as
master-detail, grids, paging, search over the grids, filtering, etc).

The capability of supply to the final user the facility of build it's
own reports is also a thing I miss from the old Visual FoxPro
frameworks I used to work with in the past. One of the best I knew is
this one: http://www.promatrix.com/index.php were the
developer can find not only a framework else a good number to
"generators" (Automatic building of common things in a standardized
way). This is (was?) the main goal of a tool that I started with a
friend of me several years ago that I so called SDA (Smalltalk
Developer Assistant). As usual, the need of pay the bills go against
of the free time to invest in these sort of projects.

Just my 2 cents.

Germán.
123