Compiler messages

123

Re: Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Andreas Wacknitz
Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Gary,
>
> In terms of describing an interface, I immediately zoom out to the two
> ways one might approach it: graphical editing, and writing code.  The
> nature of the GUI editor and the language are "just details."  IMHO,
> both methods are essential for happy programmers.  I have some GUI
> generating/translating tools that I would expect to port to whatever
> Smalltalk system I end up using; they speak MVP.  If I land in Squeak,
> it will have an MVP framework, if only because I will write one out of
> frustration :)
>
> As I have mentioned before, I am concerned that any MVP work I do would
> be tainted with Object Arts' intellectual property.  However, if I

An alternative might be to ask Andy and Blair for an explicit OK to open
your Squeak MVP framework,
if the Dolphin buyout fails (which seem to be stalled for some weeks now).

> create a framework (tainted) and my own tests for it (by definition
> clean - right???), then the tests could be the basis for a clean MVP
> framework for Squeak.  Any flaws?  It is a lot of wasted work to write
> and then have someone else rewrite a framework, but it might solve the
> problem.  At least the rewrite would occur with the benefit of tests.
>
> With some cleverness, Morphs as views, native widgets, SVG, etc., are
> hopefully just different types of views in the framework.
>
> As a practical matter, I have a few too many Squeak images for my own
> good.  I need to archive them all, mine code out of them, and create one
> image that will move back and forth between Linux and Windows.  Any
> thoughts on 3.9 vs. 3.10?  For 3.9, I would want the
> delay/queue/semaphore fixes; IIRC, those are included in 3.10??

I would go for 3.10 as it seems to be mostly a bug fix release with some
additional unit tests to me.
Probably you will want to wait for the final release.

Andreas

RE: Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Gary Chambers-4
We have some extensions along the lines of "self synchronize: [aBlock]"...
which was why the semaphore stuff was important. I guess we'll (Pinesoft)
get some time to release these things too...

Go for it with Streams, personally I still use them in the "traditional"
sense, quirks and all!

As for (presentation) platforms it will be some work to provide a flexible
and pertinent layer for that...

Indeed, the final release, then we'll move our object-base forwards...

Jason Johnson-5
On Nov 20, 2007 2:50 AM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was a question to gauge the importance of having menus themed as
> standard, in the general IDE sense... more of fixing what we have rather
> than the new big thing.
>
> In terms of "the new big thing" I think we have to become very much more
> focussed. That means really working together. Perhaps everyone could make a
> prototype system to demonstrate to us all... then work together with the
> best bits?
>
> As a start, we should be able to easily conform to any particular "look and
> feel"... take the Java abstraction classes as an example. We could also
> incorporate "native" (Win32/GTK) as part of the framework (different to the
> "emulated" Java). I'd really like anything we do to be non-exclusive and
> all-encompassing, both potentially attainable goals.
>
> Might sound a bit "bloaty" but a framework that can plug-and-play our
> concepts would be nice...

I think this is all very doable within MVP and in fact MVP would make
this sort of thing much easier to do, since very little if any code
would depend on what view was being used.

> I think it comes down to the way(s) you want to be able to describe a
> user-interface. Need to be able to express the intention of the ui in a
> flexible manner but, also, for some applications, have exact control (plus a
> lot of in-betweens). ToolBuilder does a lot of that, but is not yet rich
> enough to do the latter...

Personally I prefer to use a graphical tool to draw exactly the
interface I want, but different people want different things, so
having a nice framework that can support all of us is the answer I
believe.

Re: Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andreas,

You raise an excellent point: Andy might well let us release my effort.
I share you assessment of the buyout.  I keep hoping they will prove me
wrong, but it appears to be going nowhere fast.  Out of respect for the
folks involved, I will stop short of declaring it a failure just yet.

As I expected, I am getting mixed recommendations re 3.9 vs. 3.10.  I
will probably go with 3.9 just since that is what Gary is using at
present.  The important thing is to stop poking at images here and there
and escalate to some real work.  It is a complicated story.  So far, my
"production" use of Squeak has been to gather literature and BibTeX
entries using an Ubuntu system that has taking over my network access at
home.  The goal is to have one fewer Windows shop in the world, but it
will take some time.

Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Gary,
>
> In terms of describing an interface, I immediately zoom out to the two
> ways one might approach it: graphical editing, and writing code.  The
> nature of the GUI editor and the language are "just details."  IMHO,
> both methods are essential for happy programmers.  I have some GUI
> generating/translating tools that I would expect to port to whatever
> Smalltalk system I end up using; they speak MVP.  If I land in Squeak,
> it will have an MVP framework, if only because I will write one out of
> frustration :)
>
> As I have mentioned before, I am concerned that any MVP work I do
would
> be tainted with Object Arts' intellectual property.  However, if I

An alternative might be to ask Andy and Blair for an explicit OK to open

your Squeak MVP framework,
if the Dolphin buyout fails (which seem to be stalled for some weeks
now).

> create a framework (tainted) and my own tests for it (by definition
> clean - right???), then the tests could be the basis for a clean MVP
> framework for Squeak.  Any flaws?  It is a lot of wasted work to write
> and then have someone else rewrite a framework, but it might solve the
> problem.  At least the rewrite would occur with the benefit of tests.
>
> With some cleverness, Morphs as views, native widgets, SVG, etc., are
> hopefully just different types of views in the framework.
>
> As a practical matter, I have a few too many Squeak images for my own
> good.  I need to archive them all, mine code out of them, and create
one
> image that will move back and forth between Linux and Windows.  Any
> thoughts on 3.9 vs. 3.10?  For 3.9, I would want the
> delay/queue/semaphore fixes; IIRC, those are included in 3.10??

I would go for 3.10 as it seems to be mostly a bug fix release with some

additional unit tests to me.
Probably you will want to wait for the final release.

Andreas

RE: Re: MenuMorph hand weirdness

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

I am having some trouble envisioning #synchronize: - I tend to think in
terms of shared resources identified by/with a mutex, or something along
those lines.  Being a process junkie, I look forward to seeing what you
have done.

Could I interest you in more cross-dialect-friendly stream semantics?
IMHO, once you have an exception catch a format deviation "now vs.
later," you'll be hooked.  No hard feelings if you decide to stick with
Squeaky streams.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 11/20/07 1:15 PM >>>
We have some extensions along the lines of "self synchronize:
[aBlock]"...
which was why the semaphore stuff was important. I guess we'll
(Pinesoft)
get some time to release these things too...

Go for it with Streams, personally I still use them in the "traditional"
sense, quirks and all!

As for (presentation) platforms it will be some work to provide a
flexible
and pertinent layer for that...

Re-reading your reply (after clicking send - when else?), I caught your
supportive emphasis on streams.  I'll give it whirl, and let you decide
for yourself given a (hopefully) working implementation to try.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 11/20/07 1:15 PM >>>
We have some extensions along the lines of "self synchronize:
[aBlock]"...
which was why the semaphore stuff was important. I guess we'll
(Pinesoft)
get some time to release these things too...

Go for it with Streams, personally I still use them in the "traditional"
sense, quirks and all!

As for (presentation) platforms it will be some work to provide a
flexible
and pertinent layer for that...

Jason,

Agreed about a graphical view editor - it is a must for many kinds of
things.  However, five years or so ago, a friend and colleague of mine
needed to store several hundred data points on each of 100+ patients.
It is small time compared to much of the database work that goes on in
the world, but it was big for us.  Note that "us" turns into "***ME***
(gulp!)" when it comes to making work.  I actually tried to build it
using Access (trying to do it the "accepted" way), and it was starting
to look like a disaster in the making.  I then turned to Dolphin and
began scripting the view composer; with some tweaks, the image survived
it, and it soon turned into quite a display of Smalltalk's power.

A similar trick will be necessary for a sombre task: converting a LOT of
GUI code and view resources to another Smalltalk system.  That process
will be essential to a robust port, and will provide a lot of testing
for a new MVP framework.  It is a natural place for me to start any
serious port attempt, hence the focus.

I share you desire for a graphical view editor.  Do you have any
thoughts on how to build it given that "views" will include morphs, svg
structures, and even native widgets?

On Nov 20, 2007 9:15 PM, Bill Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed about a graphical view editor - it is a must for many kinds of
> things.  However, five years or so ago, a friend and colleague of mine
> needed to store several hundred data points on each of 100+ patients.
> It is small time compared to much of the database work that goes on in
> the world, but it was big for us.  Note that "us" turns into "***ME***
> (gulp!)" when it comes to making work.  I actually tried to build it
> using Access (trying to do it the "accepted" way), and it was starting
> to look like a disaster in the making.  I then turned to Dolphin and
> began scripting the view composer; with some tweaks, the image survived
> it, and it soon turned into quite a display of Smalltalk's power.

Interesting.  Yes, I know there is a need, and that some people simply
prefer coding the GUI in general.  I'm glad we don't have to be
exclusive.

> I share you desire for a graphical view editor.  Do you have any
> thoughts on how to build it given that "views" will include morphs, svg
> structures, and even native widgets?

Well, honestly if it falls behind far enough that I wind up doing it,
I had planned on being lazy and just creating the graphical editor for
one kind of view.  I don't think it hurts for every different kind of
view to have it's own editor.  All that *must* happen is that the
resulting views respond to the expected protocol.
123