Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
First I got:

Renaming "#include <GL/gl.h>" to "#include <OpenGL/gl.h>" in B3dAcceleratorPlugin.h fixed that problem, but then I got:
"rmdir: /Users/sean/Documents/Reference/Squeak/Cog/2012-09/cog/build/thirdparty/out/include/freetype2/freetype/internal: No such file or directory"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

how are you generating the sources, etc.? I need more data than that... :)

On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:35 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First I got:
>
> Renaming "#include <GL/gl.h>" to "#include <OpenGL/gl.h>" in
> B3dAcceleratorPlugin.h fixed that problem, but then I got:
> "rmdir:
> /Users/sean/Documents/Reference/Squeak/Cog/2012-09/cog/build/thirdparty/out/include/freetype2/freetype/internal:
> No such file or directory"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
how are you generating the sources, etc.?
1. Downloaded latest vmmaker and cog sources from Jenkins git tracker
2. CogCocoaIOSConfig new
  addExternalPlugins: #( FT2Plugin );
  addInternalPlugins: #( UnixOSProcessPlugin );
  generateForDebug;
  generateSources; generate.
3. cog/build$ /opt/local/bin/cmake -G Xcode
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

that's the problem :)

you cannot generate freetype2 with Xcode.

better try:

cmake .
make

On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:50 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>>
>> how are you generating the sources, etc.?
>
> 1. Downloaded latest vmmaker and cog sources from Jenkins git tracker
> 2. CogCocoaIOSConfig new
>  addExternalPlugins: #( FT2Plugin );
>  addInternalPlugins: #( UnixOSProcessPlugin );
>  generateForDebug;
>  generateSources; generate.
> 3. cog/build$ /opt/local/bin/cmake -G Xcode

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

ah, btw... it *should* be possible with xcode, but I never took time to configure it...

On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:53 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> that's the problem :)
>
> you cannot generate freetype2 with Xcode.
>
> better try:
>
> cmake .
> make
>
> On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:50 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> EstebanLM wrote
>>>
>>> how are you generating the sources, etc.?
>>
>> 1. Downloaded latest vmmaker and cog sources from Jenkins git tracker
>> 2. CogCocoaIOSConfig new
>> addExternalPlugins: #( FT2Plugin );
>> addInternalPlugins: #( UnixOSProcessPlugin );
>> generateForDebug;
>> generateSources; generate.
>> 3. cog/build$ /opt/local/bin/cmake -G Xcode

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Camillo Bruni-3

I had besides a hardcoded compiler path no problem.
Though I didn't use the latest vmmaker image, but the one from jenkins...

I used the Makefile builds, which worked nicely...

On 2012-09-10, at 20:36, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First I got:
>
> Renaming "#include <GL/gl.h>" to "#include <OpenGL/gl.h>" in
> B3dAcceleratorPlugin.h fixed that problem, but then I got:
> "rmdir:
> /Users/sean/Documents/Reference/Squeak/Cog/2012-09/cog/build/thirdparty/out/include/freetype2/freetype/internal:
> No such file or directory"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Igor Stasenko

On 10 September 2012 20:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> First I got:
>
> Renaming "#include <GL/gl.h>" to "#include <OpenGL/gl.h>" in
> B3dAcceleratorPlugin.h fixed that problem, but then I got:
> "rmdir:
> /Users/sean/Documents/Reference/Squeak/Cog/2012-09/cog/build/thirdparty/out/include/freetype2/freetype/internal:
> No such file or directory"

this is strange.. the
thirdparty/out
subdir is where the built artifacts are placed by freetype itself,
means there's nothing in cmake config which tells to remove that
specific dir.
it looks like some bug in freetype library own 'make install'
procedure, because i only telling it that install prefix should be
<builddir>/thirdparty/out , and freetype should do the rest.

At which stage you get that error?
Can you try to reproduce it, after cleaning build dir and then doing

cmake .

do

make freetype

to see if get same error?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
At which stage you get that error?
Can you try to reproduce it, after cleaning build dir and then doing

cmake .

do

make freetype

to see if get same error?
make freetype
make: *** No rule to make target `freetype'.  Stop.

but

make freetype2
[100%] Built target freetype2

I'm attaching (to Nabble) the full output of the freetype script failure from Xcode

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

is

make freetype2

On Sep 11, 2012, at 6:33 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote
>>
>> At which stage you get that error?
>> Can you try to reproduce it, after cleaning build dir and then doing
>>
>> cmake .
>>
>> do
>>
>> make freetype
>>
>> to see if get same error?
>>

> make freetype
> make: *** No rule to make target `freetype'.  Stop.
>
> but
>
> make freetype2
> [100%] Built target freetype2
>
> I'm attaching (to Nabble)
> http://forum.world.st/file/n4647014/freetype_output the full output  of the
> freetype script failure from Xcode
>
> HTH,
> Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
you cannot generate freetype2 with Xcode.

better try:

cmake .
make
I want to build with Xcode because I am debugging and want to use the breakpoint tools, but I'll just compile without freetype

Thanks.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
is

make freetype2
> make freetype2
> [100%] Built target freetype2

Yes
Cheers,
Sean

On 11 September 2012 18:36, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>>
>> you cannot generate freetype2 with Xcode.
>>
>> better try:
>>
>> cmake .
>> make
>>

> I want to build with Xcode because I am debugging and want to use the
> breakpoint tools, but I'll just compile without freetype

yeah, just exclude ft2plugin from build.
:)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

yep... that's what I do :)

I think I accidentally compiled freetype using make then changed regenerated the
project using cmake -G Xcode and I have freetype running :)

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

EstebanLM

yes, that works too :P
we need something better, but xcode is not the funniest piece of software :S

true :) If there were a brilliant standalone C/C++ debugger there would be
no need for xcode :)

Re: Compiling on Mountain Lion

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
xcode is not the funniest piece of software :S
Opening the giant C file for the main VM loop was really fun in Xcode on Lion because it meant I could take a nice coffee break while it opened the file :)
Cheers,
Sean

On 11 September 2012 19:32, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>>
>> xcode is not the funniest piece of software :S
>>

> Opening the giant C file for the main VM loop was really fun in Xcode on
> Lion because it meant I could take a nice coffee break while it opened the
> file :)

cannot add anything to that.
definitely, xcode editor was not designed to handle multi-megabyte
source files well :)
but i think if you disable syntax highlighting and other niceties in
editor, it should handle it fine,
because my suspicion is that it wastes a lot of time for parsing it to
do a proper syntax highlighting.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.