Component vs Application Confusion

Brad Selfridge
I'm trying to work my way through building a Seaside web app, (for learning purposes), and I'm confused.

I have several questions that don't seem to be explained well in any documentation (that I can find).

I see in the documentation and code examples where you register each component that basically represents and new URI on the address bar and that component is becomes an application.  So:

1. If I have components that I "call" or "show", do I have to or need to register those components?

2. If I add libraries to a "application component" and then call another component (assuming the called component is NOT an application"), the called component does not seem to pick up those libraries from the calling application component. Is this proper behavior? If not, then how does one get the called component to pickup those libraries?

Brad Selfridge

Re: Component vs Application Confusion

jtuchel
Brad,

you only register a WAApplication for each "entry point" or url that
will be accessed. In that Application you declare the initial component
to be rendered whenever somebody visits this url. Everything else is
simple call:/answer: or show: between components and/or tasks. In many
or maybe even most cases you really just register one Application and
have quiet a few components.  Components that get called don't need to
be registered anywhere.

If you want to provide a set of "files", like CSS, or JS, you also
register one or more WAFileLibraries with your Application. Whatever
this FileLibrary provieds will be added to each and every page in your
Application.

Does that help?

What documentation have you looked at so far?

Joachim

Am 14.01.16 um 15:54 schrieb Brad Selfridge:

> I'm trying to work my way through building a Seaside web app, (for learning
> purposes), and I'm confused.
>
> I have several questions that don't seem to be explained well in any
> documentation (that I can find).
>
> I see in the documentation and code examples where you register each
> component that basically represents and new URI on the address bar and that
> component is becomes an application.  So:
>
> 1. If I have components that I "call" or "show", do I have to or need to
> register those components?
>
> 2. If I add libraries to a "application component" and then call another
> component (assuming the called component is NOT an application"), the called
> component does not seem to pick up those libraries from the calling
> application component. Is this proper behavior? If not, then how does one
> get the called component to pickup those libraries?
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Component vs Application Confusion

Brad Selfridge
Thank you.

That does help explain very well - I think I get it now.

I've dug my way through the Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, Seaside Tutorials, and the Hasso Plattner Institut - Seaside Tutorial. They all cover the concept of registering a component as an application, but I never picked up the relationship between an application component and a call/show component. Coming from a PHP experience, where every page is URL centric, I was having a hard time making the transition.
Brad Selfridge