Configurations documentation

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale. As you may know (I am sure you do!!!) in the PharoDev RC2 there was a workspace that explains how to install external packages into a Pharo image (background: I am preparing the PharoRC3) .

There I used to put the seaside information. But then, I discovered it was quite similar to what you have in ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace.
So, my idea is to join forces :)    In the pharo dev workspace I can link directly to yours... what do you think ?

I think that ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace  may deserve a bit more of information. I try to do a little step. I have just commited in:
ConfigurationOfSeaside-MarianoMartinezPeck.37

Please feel free to look at it, change it or even rollback it.

Janko: it would be cool to have something similar in ConfigurationOfAida, what do you think ?

Miguel: it would be cool to have something similar in ConfigurationOfMagma, what do you think ?

Simon/Tudor/Others: it would be cool to have something similar in ConfigurationOfMoose, what do you think ?

Now...I am not sure if it is worth a simple method like the one on ConfigurationOfSeaside or a better thing like a ProfStef tutorial.

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Configurations documentation

Dale
Mariano,

I like your additions.

I think that with the Gofer Project Loader, the ConfigurationOfSeaside configuration might become obsolete...

ConfigurationOfSeaside was designed to replace an expression like this:

  (Smalltalk at: #Gofer) new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPier2';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2';
    load.
  ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project
    version: '3.0') load.
  ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2) project
    version: '2.0') load.
  ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) project
    version: '2.0.3') load.
  ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2) project
    version: '2.0.3') load.

with something like this:

 ConfigurationOfSeaside project latestVersion load:
    #( 'Seaside 3.0' 'Magritte2' 'Pier2' 'Pier2 AddOns' ).

Of course, now with Gofer Project loader the original expressions collapses to this:

  Gofer project
    load: 'Seaside30';
    load: 'Magritte2';
    load: 'Pier2';
    load: 'Pier2AddOns'.

However, the notion of a workspace/ProfStef/HelpBrowser delineating the various options is still needed ... The focus moves from worrying about the technicalities of doing the load, to the "why load different" things and what to do once you've loaded ...

For GLASS I've been moving towards the HelpBrowser since I can update my instructions along with the code...So if each web framework had some helpbrowser pages that discussed loading/upgrading/strting and stopping that would be very cool.

Dale

----- "Mariano Martinez Peck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi Dale. As you may know (I am sure you do!!!) in the PharoDev RC2
| there was
| a workspace that explains how to install external packages into a
| Pharo
| image (background: I am preparing the PharoRC3) .
|
| There I used to put the seaside information. But then, I discovered it
| was
| quite similar to what you have in ConfigurationOfSeaside >>
| workspace.
| So, my idea is to join forces :)    In the pharo dev workspace I can
| link
| directly to yours... what do you think ?
|
| I think that ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace  may deserve a bit
| more of
| information. I try to do a little step. I have just commited in:
| ConfigurationOfSeaside-MarianoMartinezPeck.37
|
| Please feel free to look at it, change it or even rollback it.
|
| Janko: it would be cool to have something similar in
| ConfigurationOfAida,
| what do you think ?
|
| Miguel: it would be cool to have something similar in
| ConfigurationOfMagma,
| what do you think ?
|
| Simon/Tudor/Others: it would be cool to have something similar in
| ConfigurationOfMoose, what do you think ?
|
| Now...I am not sure if it is worth a simple method like the one on
| ConfigurationOfSeaside or a better thing like a ProfStef tutorial.
|
| Thanks
|
| Mariano

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to metacello+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Re: Configurations documentation

Miguel Cobá
I was thinking, maybe there is better to have an standardized way to add
some basic info about the versions in a configuration. That could be
used by the tools (Gofer Project Loader) to show to the user.

something like

ConfigurationOfXXX>>about "or info"
"
This is the Metacello Configuration for XXX.
You can install several versions of this package according to your
needs.
"

"INSTALL"
"Pharo"
(Smalltalk globals at: #Gofer) new
  squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfXXX';
  load.

"Squeak"

"GoferProjectLoader"
(Smalltalk globals at: #GoferProjectLoader) project load: 'XXX'.

"VERSIONS"
"You can install any version also"
(ConfigurationOfXXX project version: '1.0') load
(ConfigurationOfXXX project version: '1.1') load
(ConfigurationOfXXX project version: '2.0') load

"Or the latest non-development version"
ConfigurationOfXXX project latestVersion load

"Or if you already have installed a previous version of this
configuration, you can update it"
ConfigurationOfXXX project updateProject

"And then install the new versions supported by this new config"
(ConfigurationOfXXX project version: '3.0') load

What do you think? This is both human and machine readable and can give
users info about the configuration. Also, it can be posted to the
mailing lists or to a blog post or to a release page when new versions
appear.

Cheers

El jue, 18-03-2010 a las 19:07 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:

> Hi Dale. As you may know (I am sure you do!!!) in the PharoDev RC2
> there was a workspace that explains how to install external packages
> into a Pharo image (background: I am preparing the PharoRC3) .
>
> There I used to put the seaside information. But then, I discovered it
> was quite similar to what you have in ConfigurationOfSeaside >>
> workspace.
> So, my idea is to join forces :)    In the pharo dev workspace I can
> link directly to yours... what do you think ?
>
> I think that ConfigurationOfSeaside >> workspace  may deserve a bit
> more of information. I try to do a little step. I have just commited
> in:
> ConfigurationOfSeaside-MarianoMartinezPeck.37
>
> Please feel free to look at it, change it or even rollback it.
>
> Janko: it would be cool to have something similar in
> ConfigurationOfAida, what do you think ?
>
> Miguel: it would be cool to have something similar in
> ConfigurationOfMagma, what do you think ?

Done in ConfigurationOfMagma-MiguelCoba.26
Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Configurations documentation

Dale
I think I like #info or #about as a metter method name ... embedding the info in the configuration makes sense .... so thoughts on

  #info
  #workspace, or
  #about

I'll add the method to the template class in 1.0-beta.25 ... getting close:)

Dale