Constructing the browser morph

Michael Ross-1
When you start a browser in Morphic with 'Browser open'
the method 'Browser>>openEditString: aString' gets executed
and helps construct the morph that appears in the world.
no problem so far.

But also in the class there is the method:
        'Browser>>buildWith: builder'
This method first describes the browser's widgets, putting
the descriptions into a spec of some kind. then it executes the spec
with a builder provided by a sender, presumably to construct
the specified morph. But this method isn't executed
when the brower starts. And I can't locate a real sender for it.

Can anyone explain when and why this method gets executed?

thanks.
Michael

Re: Constructing the browser morph

hernanmd
Hello Michael,
  If you are trying to construct a new browser, you can take a look at the OmniBrowser framework. http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5646

Select the script in this page and doIt for installation: http://installer.pbwiki.com/OmniBrowser
(And install the "Installer" package using the Monticello Browser - Add HTTP Repository - from http://www.squeaksource.com/Installer.html if you do not have Installer in your image)

Cheers

Hernán

2009/2/12 kmr1642 <[hidden email]>

When you start a browser in Morphic with 'Browser open'
the method 'Browser>>openEditString: aString' gets executed
and helps construct the morph that appears in the world.
no problem so far.

But also in the class there is the method:
       'Browser>>buildWith: builder'
This method first describes the browser's widgets, putting
the descriptions into a spec of some kind. then it executes the spec
with a builder provided by a sender, presumably to construct
the specified morph. But this method isn't executed
when the brower starts. And I can't locate a real sender for it.

Can anyone explain when and why this method gets executed?

thanks.
Michael

Re: Constructing the browser morph

Michael Ross-1
No, not trying to build anything, just trying to understand how the browser works.

Looking at the OmniBrowser, I don't see anything as direct as the 'openEditString:' code,
but it does have an OBBrowser>>buildOn: method, which does get executed, and which appears
to create the browser view from some kind of description. This might also explain why
it takes longer to come up on the screen than using the older 'Browser'.

Hernán Morales Durand wrote