Controlling Croquet with a Novint Falcon Haptic Device

Controlling Croquet with a Novint Falcon Haptic Device

Jeff VanDrimmelen
Hey All

Matthew, thanks for the video about the Wii remote.  That is fantastic!!

I am working on a similar project where I am hoping to connect the Novint Falcon Haptic ( http://home.novint.com/) device into Croquet.  I am still new to Squeak and have been working on and off through some tutorials the past couple of weeks.  Would you mind sharing what classes you used inside of Croquet to move the avatar and which ones control the mouse?  I envision using the four buttons on the handle of the novint to navigate much like you did with the Wii and then the haptic device as a mouse.  I am working on making that connection first and then we will work on the haptic simulations for individual programs within the world.  What do you think?

Other thoughts from the list on how I might best accomplish this?  The novint falcon SDK is written in C++ and I am thinking of creating a .dll file that can be referenced in Croquet.  As detailed help as anyone can give me would be useful. :)  I'm a newbie and just excited to be joining your group.

~Jeff

--
Jeff VanDrimmelen
Academic Computing Expert

On 10/10/07, Matthew Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm cross posting this thread because I think it is of interest to all.

My colleague, Sean, and I put together a video of a small experiment we ran last night using a Wii remote to control avatars and interactivity in Croquet.

Here's the blog post:

-Matt

Re: Controlling Croquet with a Novint Falcon Haptic Device

Matthew Schmidt-2
I seem to recall that the folks working on the Citris Gallery Builder (based on Croquet) at Berkeley were doing something with this device... my memory's a bit fuzzy. All of the links from my old bookmarks are dead...

Here's the old link. Might try the Wayback machine on it:

http://citrissrv2.eecs.berkeley.edu:8888/mantis/main_page.php

The guy working on it was Orion Elenzil, but I think he's in Antarctica now doing research there.

I'll get you some more specific answers when I've got some more time.

Good luck!

-Matt

I am working on a similar project where I am hoping to connect the Novint Falcon Haptic (<a href="http://home.novint.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://home.novint.com/) device into Croquet.  I am still new to Squeak and have been working on and off through some tutorials the past couple of weeks.  Would you mind sharing what classes you used inside of Croquet to move the avatar and which ones control the mouse?  I envision using the four buttons on the handle of the novint to navigate much like you did with the Wii and then the haptic device as a mouse.  I am working on making that connection first and then we will work on the haptic simulations for individual programs within the world.  What do you think?

[...]

Hi Lynn,

I was wondering how you can program Croquet to use two wii remotes, and also, if Croquet could allow for two Novint Falcons, controlled by one person, one in each hand.

Very interesting question. Could you explain 1) why two Wiimotes (one for each hand) and 2) what each hand would use the Wiimote for?

Thanks,

-Matt